Armagh v Cavan Sun 8th June

Started by illdecide, May 07, 2014, 10:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Westside on June 02, 2014, 11:19:33 PM
Armagh are a force to be reckoned with. See them hammering all those goals past Leitrim last year? Scary stuff. Any team that has to apologise to supporters for a loss is a real big time outfit. And they have the Messiah pulling the strings in the background in between Jujitsu sessions and prepping the Tipp Hurlers for greatness, went to the gym after lifting Sam in 2002 don't ya know. Oisin McConville will probably be commentating on the radio which should ensure a sell out crowd to witness the slaughter.

Comments like this are one of the reasons I hardly ever visit the gaa board anymore
In the old days we had witty posters who contributed
Alas now we don't .

yellowcard

Hard to understand how the bookies have Armagh down as slight favourites for this game. Probably due to the home advantage more than anything else but I will be going to the game on Sunday more in hope than in expectation. Most supporters I have spoken to are of the same mindset.

I expect Armagh will set up more defensively than before as McGeeney begins to start leaving his imprint on things. His favoured style of play is to set the team up in such a way that 2 or 3 inside forwards contribute the majority of scores for the team. That is well and good if we had the personnel to do it but outside of Clarke on his day we don't have the players up front that consistently score 3 or 4 from play in every match. This dependency on inside forwards to win us the game could therefore play into Cavans hands since they will flood the scoring zone with bodies thus making it difficult for the likes of Clarke et al to find space. Armagh will need to have runners from deep to break the defensive wall in this game and the onus will be on the likes of Aaron Kernan and Mark Shields (presuming they are the 2 wing half backs) to pop up with a few scores of their own. Expect a more defensive gameplan from Armagh and an improved performance on last year but the end result may well be something similar.     

tommysmith

Will be close I think with home advantage Armagh might just shade it.  Interesting to see how Cavan will perform without the influence of Mackey and maybe as many as 3 other central players. I would expect maybe one or two of them to start but they may not last to long.

Westside

Quote from: naka on June 03, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
Armagh are a force to be reckoned with. See them hammering all those goals past Leitrim last year? Scary stuff. Any team that has to apologise to supporters for a loss is a real big time outfit. And they have the Messiah pulling the strings in the background in between Jujitsu sessions and prepping the Tipp Hurlers for greatness, went to the gym after lifting Sam in 2002 don't ya know. Oisin McConville will probably be commentating on the radio which should ensure a sell out crowd to witness the slaughter.

Comments like this are one of the reasons I hardly ever visit the gaa board anymore
Alas now we don't .

We all miss you terribly.

Really though, with Cavan's injury situation it's very difficult to be confident going into Sunday's game. I think we might see some changes, perhaps Keating moved further out the field with O'Connor to start inside along with Dunne. I think we need to try something a bit different. If Mackey isn't fit it's a massive loss to Cavan, we don't have anyone else with his ball carrying ability.

Itchy

Quote from: naka on June 03, 2014, 09:10:17 AM

Alas now we don't .

Were you one of these legendary witty posters yourself?

Itchy

Quote from: Armamike on June 02, 2014, 11:12:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 02, 2014, 11:07:31 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2014, 09:01:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 02, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2014, 02:04:19 PM

Most use the Armagh forum.

For what its worth, we'll beat Cavan.

Sure you might as well tell why you think you'll win.

Home fixture and marginally better player. Could have won last year and this year have a better set up, less injuries and more focussed

Its just my opinion but I believe Cavan have better quality players than Armagh but I'm really banking on the fact that your manager has been clueless to date and I'm hoping for more of the same from him.

It's hard to tell what quality the Cavan players are at as we don't get to see them come out and play much football.

You mustn't follow your own team much or did you see us tear you apart last year.

Armamike

Your forward was good in acres of space.  Your midfield wasn't great.  Hard to judge the individual quality of your backs.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Orior

This could be Grimley's last game. Tony McEntee will be in for the McKenna cup.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Westside

Quote from: Armamike on June 03, 2014, 09:35:28 PM
Your forward was good in acres of space.  Your midfield wasn't great.  Hard to judge the individual quality of your backs.

So our forwards can't be judged properly because they were being marked man to man, our backs can't be judged because we defend in numbers... 

Itchy

Quote from: Armamike on June 03, 2014, 09:35:28 PM

Your backs were shite, your midfield won ball but couldn't play ball and you forwards were not good enough. As for your manager...

Armamike

Probably not his last. Could be his second last though.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Throw ball

I see Joe Brolly has convinced many that Grimley hasn't a clue. He is not the greatest manager ever but is far from a fool. He has a few shrewd men with him too.

regal

Quote from: Throw ball on June 04, 2014, 12:13:39 AM
I see Joe Brolly has convinced many that Grimley hasn't a clue. He is not the greatest manager ever but is far from a fool. He has a few shrewd men with him too.

Who all is in the management team:
Grimley, McGeeney, McQuillan, McDonnell, Hollywood are the ones I am aware of but who are the others?

mylestheslasher

In fairness, with his carry on last year he did that for himself. What other manager would leave a man one on one with a fella who kicked 9 points and not make any sort of tactical or positional change and then say that he made no change on purpose as that would be be a change of game plan which would mean he was weak? Then to come out doing an apology was very insulting to Cavan people. Joe Brolly just called it as it is really.

mackers

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 04, 2014, 01:20:32 PM

In fairness, with his carry on last year he did that for himself. What other manager would leave a man one on one with a fella who kicked 9 points and not make any sort of tactical or positional change and then say that he made no change on purpose as that would be be a change of game plan which would mean he was weak? Then to come out doing an apology was very insulting to Cavan people. Joe Brolly just called it as it is really.
I'd agree with virtually everything you have said there, but you'll have to remind me which part of his apology insulted Cavan people. He apologised to Armagh fans for the inept display given by Armagh.  You have outlined yourself why such an apology was required, but which bit insulted Cavan people?
I could see where you're coming from if he apologised to Armagh fans for allowing Cavan to beat us but that's not what he done.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.