Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Most use the Armagh forum.

For what its worth, we'll beat Cavan.

Itchy

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2014, 02:04:19 PM

Sure you might as well tell why you think you'll win.

beer baron

The big question is why(other than where the game is) are Cavan odds against?

ardchieftain

I'd say home advantage is the only reason why Armagh are slight favorites with the bookies. If Armagh had a full deck to choose from i'd expect an Orchard victory. In saying that, i'll be very annoyed if we don't get over the line by 2 or 3 points. There's no way we will set up as naively as last year so Cavan will have to work a lot harder for scores. Possession in the middle third will be key.

Ah, but it feels good that the championship starts for real this weekend [for Armagh and Cavan people]. Already starting to get that buzz.........

mylestheslasher

There were a few things in last years game that most likely will not happen again. One is the crazy decisions on the Armagh line with regards to going man to man for 70 minutes when getting totally cleaned out. Armagh fans will rightly point to this and say that if they can sort that out then the can close that 4 point gap. I think that might be a bit over simplistic. Cavan should have won that game by 8/9 points, they missed so much. Armagh probably won 75% of possession from kick outs but this year I would expect Cavan to have a better midfield than Armagh with Givney, McKiernan and Argue all likely to be dotted around the middle. Midfield should be at least 50:50 and really Cavan should be outright winning midfield in my opinion. Cavan also had a positive league and Armagh had a negative one and I really am not convinced the Armagh players are behind Grimley. I am also hearing that the Cavan players were insulted by Grimleys pathetic apology last year and will be well up for this game to see will he apologise again.

On the negative side Cavan are also without Killian Clarke who would have been sent to mark Jamie Clarke so whether Cavan can take Clarke out of the game or not is definitely in question. There have also been a lot of late injuries to key players like Gearoid McKiernan, Keating, Mackey and Rory Dunne which have really disrupted their preperation for the game.

Weighing it all up I think Cavan should be favourites but I have a feeling more  than anything that Armagh could catch us.  Looking forward to the game anyway. I believe there are no more stand tickets available on line so it could be close to a sell out too.

seafoid

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 02, 2014, 04:58:12 PM
There were a few things in last years game that most likely will not happen again. One is the crazy decisions on the Armagh line with regards to going man to man for 70 minutes when getting totally cleaned out. Armagh fans will rightly point to this and say that if they can sort that out then the can close that 4 point gap. I think that might be a bit over simplistic. Cavan should have won that game by 8/9 points, they missed so much. Armagh probably won 75% of possession from kick outs but this year I would expect Cavan to have a better midfield than Armagh with Givney, McKiernan and Argue all likely to be dotted around the middle. Midfield should be at least 50:50 and really Cavan should be outright winning midfield in my opinion. Cavan also had a positive league and Armagh had a negative one and I really am not convinced the Armagh players are behind Grimley. I am also hearing that the Cavan players were insulted by Grimleys pathetic apology last year and will be well up for this game to see will he apologise again.

On the negative side Cavan are also without Killian Clarke who would have been sent to mark Jamie Clarke so whether Cavan can take Clarke out of the game or not is definitely in question. There have also been a lot of late injuries to key players like Gearoid McKiernan, Keating, Mackey and Rory Dunne which have really disrupted their preperation for the game.

Weighing it all up I think Cavan should be favourites but I have a feeling more  than anything that Armagh could catch us.  Looking forward to the game anyway. I believe there are no more stand tickets available on line so it could be close to a sell out too.
Bookies predict a very tight match.
I'd say Cavan should shade it given the relative momentum of the teams. Cavan are improving and learning and Armagh aren't, really.

Throw ball

Armagh will be out to prove people wrong. Never mind about last year this is there first step to a better future. Have have seen all Armagh matches this year and bar the McKenna Cup game against Tyrone there is no evidence that the team are not working together. They were decimated with injury in the league but in the end only a last minute goal by Down stopped them going down instead of Armagh. Down gave Tyrone quite a fright. Cavan may be confident about midfield but the Armagh midfield are improving.

On the downside all injuries have not cleared up. It looks like Kernan, Forker and Lavery will be among those missing. Those that left last year for the states have still not been considered and Tasker has left panel.

Will be close but i hope Armagh can do it.

Armamike

Like a lot of sides Armagh struggle when a team sticks 14 men in their own defence.  There was no evidence from the league (Monaghan and Donegal games)  that Armagh will have much of a notion how to deal with this against Cavan.  There's probably no big masterplan to counter it so i can't see anything other than a Cavan win unfortunately.
That's just, like your opinion man.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on June 02, 2014, 02:12:35 PM

Home fixture and marginally better player. Could have won last year and this year have a better set up, less injuries and more focussed

LCohen

Quote from: Armamike on June 02, 2014, 08:48:20 PM
Like a lot of sides Armagh struggle when a team sticks 14 men in their own defence.  There was no evidence from the league (Monaghan and Donegal games)  that Armagh will have much of a notion how to deal with this against Cavan.  There's probably no big masterplan to counter it so i can't see anything other than a Cavan win unfortunately.

Grimley is a fool. Has shown nothing to indicate he has learned how to set up an attack. He is committed to attack but feckin clueless in how to go about it. Faffing around in the middle with nothing to hit upfront is the best Armagh can hope for.

Its Cavan by a small margin unless Grmley has been sitting on his masterplan for the past year

naka

Lot of pessimism here about armaghs chances
Morgan, donaghy and Mallon will strengthen the defence and  i am confident rafferty and Harold will hold their own in midfield
We have a decent forward line with dyas, Clarke , rafferty and soupy so we won't be far away .

Itchy

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2014, 09:01:22 PM

Home fixture and marginally better player. Could have won last year and this year have a better set up, less injuries and more focussed

Its just my opinion but I believe Cavan have better quality players than Armagh but I'm really banking on the fact that your manager has been clueless to date and I'm hoping for more of the same from him.

Armamike

Quote from: Itchy on June 02, 2014, 11:07:31 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2014, 09:01:22 PM

Its just my opinion but I believe Cavan have better quality players than Armagh but I'm really banking on the fact that your manager has been clueless to date and I'm hoping for more of the same from him.

It's hard to tell what quality the Cavan players are at as we don't get to see them come out and play much football. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Westside

Armagh are a force to be reckoned with. See them hammering all those goals past Leitrim last year? Scary stuff. Any team that has to apologise to supporters for a loss is a real big time outfit. And they have the Messiah pulling the strings in the background in between Jujitsu sessions and prepping the Tipp Hurlers for greatness, went to the gym after lifting Sam in 2002 don't ya know. Oisin McConville will probably be commentating on the radio which should ensure a sell out crowd to witness the slaughter.

tonto1888