Armagh v Cavan Sun 8th June

Started by illdecide, May 07, 2014, 10:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 10:24:11 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 12, 2014, 10:00:04 AM
Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 09:50:06 AM
Keeping it for the final automatically excludes the weaker counties.
These players have trained their hole off for 6 months. For the likes of players from the weaker counties the championship day is their final. Instead of playing in front of small numbers in grounds with little or no atmosphere, theres a big crowd, the suns out (usually) and their county support are out in force.  This is their big day and the parade before it for the lucky few playing is part of that  "big day".
Maybe we should give all counties a cup as well. And a medal for every player. Maybe the President should meet the teams for all games. After all, this is their " big day".

Your response says a lot.

My view is that although not every team will win, or every player will win a medal, these players who have trained for months on end  and deserve a little recognition. Some teams have no chance of ever reaching finals stage.

Not that long ago Monaghan where in that position, since yous have won a bit of silverware last year yous have gone elitist !
I'd have told you the exact same thing last year.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of more players. I doubt too many of them train for 6 months for the joy of following a band around a field.

Rossfan

Most players look bored out of their minds during these parades and I suspect hate the bloody things.
Anyway there's never a parade before a NFL game or a Qualifier so that means it's limited to the 29 Senior Prov championship games, 4 Qtr Finals, 2 Semis and the Final.
The recent U21 final had no band, no parade but it was still the Final. I heard NO ONE complaining about the lack of those 2 "traditional items".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bensars

Well heres one, Peter Canavan

QuoteThere were ugly scenes prior to throw-in at the Athletic Grounds for Armagh's Ulster Championship meeting with Cavan and it has led to people calling for the pre-match parade to be scrapped. I don't agree with that. The parade adds to the game and the spectators like to see the players walking around the pitch. It was something that I enjoyed taking part in.
http://www1.skysports.com/gaelic-football/news/12040/9343517/gaa-sky-sports-expert-peter-cavanan-reviews-the-weekends-championship-action

Shamrock Shore

The best craic I ever saw was after the parade in a Longford County final about 20 years ago.

The parade was had, the National Ditty was played (the Longford Pipe Band is surely the worst in Ireland) and then we settled down. Finally.

Anyhoo the band was very slow to march off the pitch so when the ball was thrown in they were still traipsing off. As it happens the ball was caught and rooted over the where the band were still making their way. To see their reaction was something like a Benny Hill sketch. They went to the four winds with kilts flapping and hairpieces askew.

Brilliant.

Maguire01

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 10:45:00 AM

QuoteThere were ugly scenes prior to throw-in at the Athletic Grounds for Armagh's Ulster Championship meeting with Cavan and it has led to people calling for the pre-match parade to be scrapped. I don't agree with that. The parade adds to the game and the spectators like to see the players walking around the pitch. It was something that I enjoyed taking part in.
http://www1.skysports.com/gaelic-football/news/12040/9343517/gaa-sky-sports-expert-peter-cavanan-reviews-the-weekends-championship-action
Well done. That's one for and one against.

Although Peter should have said that SOME of the spectators like to see the players walking around the pitch. Some just want to see them play football.

crossfire

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 09:50:06 AM
Keeping it for the final automatically excludes the weaker counties.
These players have trained their hole off for 6 months. For the likes of players from the weaker counties the championship day is their final. Instead of playing in front of small numbers in grounds with little or no atmosphere, theres a big crowd, the suns out (usually) and their county support are out in force.  This is their big day and the parade before it for the lucky few playing is part of that  "big day".

You posted earlier about "manners being easily carried".

Anyone using language like above wouldn't know much about manners imo.

North Longford

QuoteThe best craic I ever saw was after the parade in a Longford County final about 20 years ago.
Indeed I remember that well....Jas Brady from Granard was the ref...very funny indeed. Think it was a bit more than 20 yrs ago tho. I played in the co. Final 20 tears ago and I think this could have been a few years earlier even.....lord time is flying!!!!

Maguire01

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 12, 2014, 11:05:14 AM
Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 10:45:00 AM

Well done. That's one for and one against.

Although Peter should have said that SOME of the spectators like to see the players walking around the pitch. Some just want to see them play football.
I see Brian McGuigan is on the same page as Murphy in Gaelic Life - no need for parades - outdated and ungoing the benefits of the warmup.

naka

Toner, donaghy , Mallon banned for 1 game
5k fine for Armagh
Needless to say they are appealing

Zip Code

Quote from: naka on June 12, 2014, 04:08:31 PM
Toner, donaghy , Mallon banned for 1 game
5k fine for Armagh
Needless to say they are appealing

Joke what about McKeever - sure he started it!!! 

Zip Code

I would love to know how the CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC picked these three individuals out - they needed scapegoats because of the media coverage - amazing how some can drop their knees on a mans throat and get off but people defending themselves get banned, the GAA disciplinary committee are as big a joke as that tool who referred the Armagh match.

Harold Disgracey

A joke, apparently only two Cavan players suspended, one of them being Martin Dunne. If Niall McDermott escapes a lengthy ban there is something seriously awry.

naka

Dunne suspended
Interesting that the guy who started it from cavan not suspended
Having seen the video I think donaghy and toner should get off

Harold Disgracey

Fergal Flanagan the other Cavan player suspended. Joke.

pearseog

disgrace!! theres an argument for Andy getting off with it as well.

If you watch the footage again, their big brave keeper targeted Andy (smallest man on the pitch) and rugby tackled him to the ground. If you can't defend yourself there is something wrong. Dunne and McDermott as bad as each other, kicking and punching a defenceless person on the ground. Cowards!!