Roscommon vs. Letrim Connacht SFC QF, 18th May 2014

Started by Syferus, May 03, 2014, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2014, 10:57:13 PM
I remember the last time Mayo scraped by Leitrim back in 06 in Carrick, this fella in a Leitrim jersey - I don't know if he was drunk but he proceeded to sing bellow at the top of his voice 'Oh I'd rather be a Paki than a Rossie'. I didn't know what to make of him to be honest. Moral of the story...are Roscommon hated that much by Leitrim?

We are  - but what really pisses the smelly hoors off is that we barely recognise their existence at all  ;D :D and certainly don't consider them rivals in a football sense.
I recall a gang of them singing that Paki song at a game against the some years ago. I suppose they don't want to spend all their lives being Laythrums - the poor sods  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

45GoneShort

The rivalry is very strong alright which adds to the occasion of any meeting against Roscommon for us but especially come Championship time. 

I suppose the fact that the Rossies have far more bragging rights gives us the apathy towards Roscommon when it comes to football.  Throw in the Geography of Rooskey, Dromod, Drumsna, Carrick, Leitrim Village, Drumshanbo & Drumkerran equals a good daily banter when it comes to football.  Both 2nd Level schools in Carrick & Drumshanbo draw their student population from a 50/50 split of Roscommon and Leitrim students which does set the seeds of rivalry for a lifetime.  I know from Leitrim supporter celebrate all rare championship matches victories but when it's against Roscommon it is all the sweeter!

The "paki" chants have really grown legs over the past decade (I don't remember these chants before that time)... i think that while no harm may be meant by the small minority signing it, they should wise up as it not funny anymore.

Jinxy

Should be a good crowd at this.
The senior championship debut of the new bus should add a couple of thousand to the gate.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:23:02 PM
The senior championship debut of the new bus should add a couple of thousand to the gate.

Yeah, really looking forward to this. I wonder where it will park

commonman

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 16, 2014, 07:53:55 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:23:02 PM

Yeah, really looking forward to this. I wonder where it will park

its expected that there will be a  bus  parked in front of the roscommon full forward line

Rudi

Seniors probably won't get to use the bus this year. First game at home to Leitrim, if we beat them as we expect to do, we have Mayo at home. We then (all those except Sy) expect to lose this one. After that we will have Tyrone ( >:() in the Hyde for the qualifiers, which we will expect to lose aswell.

Syferus

Anyone know if Mango has joined the management team yet? T 'would be a timely boost to have the big man patrolling the sideline, the whole panel have huge respect for him.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2014, 08:30:53 PM
Anyone know if Mango has joined the management team yet? T 'would be a timely boost to have the big man patrolling the sideline, the whole panel have huge respect for him.
As a player perhaps. Let him learn the art of management/mentoring at a club first -assumeing he has any interest in such things.
What would he do now -throw in bottles of water - even you could do that Syfín.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2014, 08:54:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2014, 08:30:53 PM
As a player perhaps. Let him learn the art of management/mentoring at a club first -assumeing he has any interest in such things.
What would he do now -throw in bottles of water - even you could do that Syfín.

Evans already said he was joining the coaching team in the summer. He's obviously not going to be making big calls but he's a smart lad who the younger players will listen to, you can't have too many people like that involved with a team. David Casey did a good job in a similar role at underage and Mayo were full of praise for James Nallen in that sort of role in recent years.

I can't wait for Sunday so we can burn through the bad diesel left over after the U21 final. A win and everyone can look towards the summer and not backwards.

Michael Finneran is apparently a doubt for Sunday and Evans has said Thomas Corcoran (off to the States with the de-bearded Colm Lavin, I think) isn't on the panel after all so we are really shorn for options at the middle. I assume if we want a change there it'll be moving Donie into the middle proper and putting someone else at CF.

neilthemac

Mark Nally and Enda Smith can put in a shift in midfield too.

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on May 16, 2014, 10:57:56 PM
Mark Nally and Enda Smith can put in a shift in midfield too.

Enda's a future midfielder in terms of fielding ability and athletic ability, the lad has pace to burn. Just dunno if this year it'd be wise to match him up against the sorts of beasts patrolling the middle at senior.

Nally would be the player I'd choose off those on the bench to come on in the middle, the lad is an absolute gamer and he's probably most suited to a role at MF rather than at HF like Evans was trying him at earlier in the league.

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

We are  - but what really pisses the smelly hoors off is that we barely recognise their existence at all  ;D :D and certainly don't consider them rivals in a football sense.

So what you're saying is that it's akin to how Mayo view the rossies??

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 16, 2014, 11:57:38 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

So what you're saying is that it's akin to how Mayo view the rossies??

For a county who don't care ye seem to have an unhealthy fascination with our bus.

Ringfort

Regarding the Ros Leitrim rivalry.....

When I first became aware of football around 90/91 we seemed to play nobody but Leitrim. I'm not looking up the stats but that's the impression left on me. Perhaps as a young boy I just happened to be brought to a couple of Ros v Leitrim games and it's made me think we played them all the time around then. Anyway I certainly regarded them as our primary rivals from a young age. Being from north of the country with Carrick as the closest 'major' town had its influence naturally.

I went to a secondary school with plenty of Ros and Leitrim folk. The Leitrims were hands down the best craic. There's a bit of an independent hippy streak to them that is rarer in the Roscommon people I knew. Ye know the sort of crusty Galway punk/hippy? ( I haven't been in Galway in over 10 years, I assume they are still ubiquitous)Leitrim has a bit of that too.

I played a game of tennis in Carrick on the recent May bank holiday while on a visit home. Beautiful summer evening sunshine, boats bobbing gently on the Shannon in the near background, chilled electro music coming from some random festival that was on nearby, people milling about supping beers and walking with the family-you could have been in Spain or France.

I don't want to piss on the fire but I have a rather benign view of the rivalry. After Ros, Leitrim is my second favourite team   8)

All the best to both sides, hope its a good game and I'll be tuning in with interest to the bould Willie for an all-over-the-shop account of the action where it's rarely clear who has possession, never clear where on the field the ball is, and occasionally clear if it's a score or not or has the umpire got it wrong.

ross4life

Wet & windy weather for this game, will do well to get any decent performance out of those type of conditions i suppose the sunny championship weather we see in the adverts is another few weeks away? no rumours of any late changes for us the very best of luck to all the Roscommon players and management.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open