awol MARK MCHUGH awol

Started by anfheardubh, April 30, 2014, 11:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Was it really built around the strengths of Murphy, though? For most of the McGuiness reign he's either under-used or simply not known how to use Murphy most effectively. To me McGuiness' Donegal was Lacey and McHugh and, to be honest, McHugh was probably the more essential of the two in the run to the AI.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2014, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on May 01, 2014, 09:51:41 PM
This myth still surrounds Donegal. Are the likes of Dublin, Tyrone, Cork,  Derry etc not putting the same physical graft or maybe more than Donegal? Is 100% not the minimum from all squads? You'd think Jimmy was marshalling a chain gang!

Other counties train a lot smarter.

A lot smarter. Donegal team isnt as skilled as some and greater physical effort was required
You'd not want a team of 15 highly skilled players as you need ball winners , spoilers and man markers etc too
Dublin have 3 or 4 highly skilled footballers. The rest excellent exponents of other areas

The all Ireland winning Donegal team had that mix and blend!
Could get back to winning ways this year!

Good luck to young mc Hugh. He has the talent to get back when the time is right.

INDIANA

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 02, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2014, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on May 01, 2014, 09:51:41 PM
This myth still surrounds Donegal. Are the likes of Dublin, Tyrone, Cork,  Derry etc not putting the same physical graft or maybe more than Donegal? Is 100% not the minimum from all squads? You'd think Jimmy was marshalling a chain gang!

Other counties train a lot smarter.

A lot smarter. Donegal team isn't as skilled as some and greater physical effort was required

Well that's a disgraceful comment, utter bullshit,  2012 All Ireland WINNERS,   

Jim didn't take over a bad team , that's a myth , they won the league in 2007, and could always pull out a big performance now and again

What Jim did was instill  organisation and consistency  through a self disciplined approach and an inert drive for success

Donegal as a county has always produced talented sports stars and your insults are pathetic

Knock a man when hes down,  real Irish spirit,

Donegal has some of the finest players in Ireland

Murphy Lacey McFadden Gallagher McGee's  McGlynn Kavanagh McGrath McLoone Durcan Thompson etc etc etc

Indiana the only thing smart about you is your arse  ;D ;D ;D

I am smart on this one because I know exactly what Donegal do in training and it isn't smart with a thin squad and an ageing squad.

But maybe that's the only way for them

J70

Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2014, 03:23:35 PM
Was it really built around the strengths of Murphy, though? For most of the McGuiness reign he's either under-used or simply not known how to use Murphy most effectively. To me McGuiness' Donegal was Lacey and McHugh and, to be honest, McHugh was probably the more essential of the two in the run to the AI.

I was talking about the U-21s and how good McLoone was.

Lacey was the lynchpin for me in 2012. We missed him badly last year.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2014, 07:13:52 PM

I was talking about the U-21s and how good McLoone was.

Lacey was the lynchpin for me in 2012. We missed him badly last year.

My fault J70, was getting confused!

DuffleKing

Is that a joke?

Lacey, Murphy, McFadden, Kavanagh & McGlynn in whatever order you like were more important. Reality is that a team like donegal can't leave out any components for hard grafted success

ck

Why is everyone talking about McHugh as if he's some sort of world beater? The fact is he has been playing poorly and struggling to get on the team (which doesn't suit his enlarged ego) He was poor for IT Sligo is Sigerson this year and I saw him in league final verses Monaghan and he was anonymous.

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 04, 2014, 11:15:48 PM

Is that a joke?

Lacey, Murphy, McFadden, Kavanagh & McGlynn in whatever order you like were more important. Reality is that a team like donegal can't leave out any components for hard grafted success

The constant mentions of Murphy are frankly insane. He was regularly mid-used or under-used in both 2011 and 2012. The goal off a mis-match in the AI final masked a situation where Jimmy had one of the best big target men in the history of the game as a glorified centre-back at times.

People talk about systems but there was a glaring problem in Jimmy's even in 2012. He simply didn't know how to use his best forward.

McHugh fitted the system far better than anyone bar maybe Lacey while McFadden was marooned up front at times but still showed his class.

Drummerboy

Always thought it was a mistake to bring Murphy out the field. He was the best target man in the game and is young enough to re establish himself if used properly.

BennyHarp

They did win the All Ireland that year didn't they? The swapping of his position (as for the goal in the final) lead to the mismatches which did a lot of damage. Maybe teams could have setup to defend against him if they knew he was going to be a conventional full forward.
That was never a square ball!!

DuffleKing

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2014, 03:03:27 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on May 04, 2014, 11:15:48 PM

Is that a joke?

The constant mentions of Murphy are frankly insane. He was regularly mid-used or under-used in both 2011 and 2012. The goal off a mis-match in the AI final masked a situation where Jimmy had one of the best big target men in the history of the game as a glorified centre-back at times.

People talk about systems but there was a glaring problem in Jimmy's even in 2012. He simply didn't know how to use his best forward.

McHugh fitted the system far better than anyone bar maybe Lacey while McFadden was marooned up front at times but still showed his class.

I'm sure all Ireland winning architect Jimmy will defer to the opinion of the Ros u21 hyperbole captain

drici

Quote from: anfheardubh on April 30, 2014, 11:55:56 PM
Seems he is missing in action

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/04/30/shock-as-mark-mchugh-and-three-others-quit-donegal-squad/

Guff and drivel.

Ryan McHugh or possibly Eoin was Laoch na hImeartha in yesterday's Final but Mark also put in a full and helpful performance in the win.

Definitely not missing in action at all.

ck

Read Martin McHugh on Saturday in the star. He said Mark had left cos he wasn't enjoying it. Surely that's masking the facts?

LeoMc

Quote from: ck on May 06, 2014, 09:15:29 AM
Read Martin McHugh on Saturday in the star. He said Mark had left cos he wasn't enjoying it. Surely that's masking the facts?

The fact that he wasn't enjoying it because of the commitment involved?

ck

Quote from: LeoMc on May 07, 2014, 09:40:52 AM
Quote from: ck on May 06, 2014, 09:15:29 AM

The fact that he wasn't enjoying it because of the commitment involved?

"He wasn't enjoying his football" was the term his Dad used. For me that's a very broad term which doesn't really say anything. I can only assume it was all too much for him. Dare I mention Burnout?