GAA Rugby Team

Started by theticklemister, April 23, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Who would you put in and why?

1.Prop- Gefforey McGonigle, he is nasty when he wants to be.
2.Hooker - Joe Sheridan, great at throwing the ball.
3.Prop - Seamie Quigley, has the build and a wile temper.
4.Lock - Michael Darragh McCauley, he'll catch a ball for ye.
5.Lock - Aidan O Se, tall, strong and can field.
6.Blindside - Fergal Doherty, hard as nails and takes some stopping.
7.Openside -Sean Cavanagh, great at making runs and always there when
you need him. Great tackler I may add also.
8. No.8 - Mark Lynch, bull of a man who takes ome stopping
9. Scrum-half- Cian Mackey, great passer and will always keep up with play.
10. Out-half - Alan Brogan, great at conduction the orchrestra and kicker of the ball.
11. Winger - Jack McCaffrey, flyer of a man.
12. Inside Centre - Michael Murphy, Not the quickest but can punch holes in the opposition defences and great at scoring.
13. Connolly - Great ball skills.
14. Winger - Paul Kerrigan, when with ball in hand, fastest man in the game.
15. Full back - Kevin McGourty, just because id love to see him get minced

The Subbie

Surprised there's no room in that team for the finely tuned athlete that is/was Rory Woods.

trileacman

Quote from: theticklemister on April 23, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

10. Out-half - Alan Brogan, great at conduction the orchrestra and kicker of the ball.
12. Inside Centre - Michael Murphy, Not the quickest but can punch holes in the opposition defences and great at scoring.

Scrummie would have been Meehan in his prime, stature, strength and skill set for it. Matty Donnelly has a talent for understanding a possession game so would have played him at out half or centre. Domican(?) of Roscommon would be off suitable build for a role in the backs. Conor Gormley could've made a back row. Michael-Dara nowhere near suitable for a lock. John Galvin of Limerick would have made a fine lock, Kevin Reilly with Meath also if he filled out a bit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

CiKe

Assuming we can dip into the recent past then Kevin Walsh and Dara O'Se as locks and Seamus Moynihan at full-back.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The Subbie on April 23, 2014, 12:37:00 AM
Surprised there's no room in that team for the finely tuned athlete that is/was Rory Woods.

Only man for the hooker position from the last time I saw him for Donaghmoyne!!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: trileacman on April 23, 2014, 02:15:54 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 23, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

Scrummie would have been Meehan in his prime, stature, strength and skill set for it. Matty Donnelly has a talent for understanding a possession game so would have played him at out half or centre. Domican(?) of Roscommon would be off suitable build for a role in the backs. Conor Gormley could've made a back row. Michael-Dara nowhere near suitable for a lock. John Galvin of Limerick would have made a fine lock, Kevin Reilly with Meath also if he filled out a bit.
Reilly would be the same build as ian jones (though jones was taller - 6'4 or 6'5 I think)
many pundits and ex internationals  have stated jones was the best in that position. though that was a decade ago or more now that I think about it!

If you are talking about yesteryear then Tohill or McDermott must be candidates for second row
Sean Maher of mayo midfield fame did play for buccaneers or galweigans in the back row

Jinxy

Graham Geraghty would have to be full back surely.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

I always though Trevor Giles would have been a brilliant out-half, always seem to have that extra bit of time on the ball. Anthony Lynch at 7 for me. Must have a think about the other positions.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 23, 2014, 03:38:31 PM
I always though Trevor Giles would have been a brilliant out-half, always seem to have that extra bit of time on the ball. Anthony Lynch at 7 for me. Must have a think about the other positions.

The most over hyped footballer in the country!!  He was pulling out of tackles in the International Rules. 7 is the ultimate hard man! MDMA.

muppet

Lee Keegan actually played rugby and would be an obvious choice.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

Moynihan not big enough for Full Back. It's one thing claiming a high ball, another thing swatting off the opposing runners, or resetting possession as needed. But his mixture of footballing brain, composure, a mix of defensive and attacking nous, could have been put to great use at stand-off. But only if Marty Clarke wasn't available, who would own that show.

Sean Cavanagh could have been a majestic full-back imho. The right size, the right frame, great hands, big old boot, and his famous "slow down... go quick" dummy would have been brilliant in one-on-one counter attacks.

While not quite possessing the same burst of pace, Bryan Sheehan would be another full-back in the making.

Benny Coulter at outside-centre seems the right fit for me too. Skilful swagger, great sidestep, and big enough to knock back the opposing centres in the tackle. Alongside him at 12 could be MDM or Michael Murphy; the right combination of size and movement.

Declan O'Sullivan at scrum-half: waspish, clever, good engine, comfortable of either foot/hand. Keith Higgins is another one who could prosper in the engine room - and Austin Healey style could pop up as an auxiliary winger too.

Forward positions are a bit more difficult to fill out, mainly because they're a height or breadth of man not normally found on a football field. even someone like Conor Gormley, who we call Block, would be eaten for breakfast by any provincial back row.

If Shane Ryan has still got the energy he could probably do a job at openside, but I'm genuinely struggling for the rest of the back-row. Maruading men of 6' 5" don't grow on trees around here.

Star Donaghy could be sent in to face-off against Paul O'Connell, with Aidan Walsh alongside - with an emphasis on using their lighter frames to propel them higher in the air.

Paul Durcan would unwittingly find himself at tight-head prop, and I fancy Stephen O'Neill's upper body strength could put him at loose-head. In between them, Ciaran McKeever. Who else would you want at the coalface than that man?

snoopdog

FFS what a stupid thread, no offence but do you really have nothing better to do than this. actually im just as bad for posting on it >:(

bannside

Larry Reilly at 4 7 10 and 15. Thats four positions filled.

theticklemister

Quote from: snoopdog on April 23, 2014, 06:26:53 PM
FFS what a stupid thread, no offence but do you really have nothing better to do than this. actually im just as bad for posting on it >:(

Calm your knickers!

Couldnt sleep the other night so I was bored and needed my gaaboard new thread fix (Tony must get this every fecking day!)

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: snoopdog on April 23, 2014, 06:26:53 PM

It's a fcukin great thread. My team would win though.

15. Gavin Duffy - played for Mayo in 1999 All-Ireland minor final

14. Tommy Bowe - played minor football for Monaghan
13. Shane Horgan - well out of position, but played minor football for Meath
12. Rob Kearney - equally out of position, played for Cooley Kickhams in 2004 Louth SFC final.
11. Craig Gilroy - played underage for St. Paul's, Holywood

10. Niall O'Connor - played for Ulster, Connacht and Drumsurn.
9. Tomas O'Leary - captained Cork to All-Ireland minor hurling title in 2001.

1. Jimmy Scullin - prop in the same Rainey Endowed pack as Adrian McGuckin, propped in the same front row as Syd Millar, scored a goal from midfield for Ballerin in the 1977 All-Ireland Club final against Austin Stacks.
2. Shane Byrne - played a bit for Arklow GAC
3. Ned Byrne - only man with a Liam McCarthy medal tucked in his Ireland rugby cap.

4. Mick Galwey - only man with a Sam Maguire medal tucked in his Ireland rugby cap.
5. Moss Keane - three Sigersons with UCC, played in an All-Ireland Club final and played for Kerry u-21

6. Adrian McGuckin - played in two Schools' Cup finals with Rainey Endowed, winning in 1967.
7. Peter Synnott - played for the Barbarians tonight wearing the colours of St Laurence O'Tooles. GAC.
8. Zinzan Brooke - played for Auckland Gaels and St. Brendan's, London. Also captained the All-Blacks.