GAA Rugby Team

Started by theticklemister, April 23, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: theticklemister on April 23, 2014, 12:29:50 AM
Who would you put in and why?

1.Prop- Gefforey McGonigle, he is nasty when he wants to be.
2.Hooker - Joe Sheridan, great at throwing the ball.
3.Prop - Seamie Quigley, has the build and a wile temper.
4.Lock - Michael Darragh McCauley, he'll catch a ball for ye.
5.Lock - Aidan O Se, tall, strong and can field.
6.Blindside - Fergal Doherty, hard as nails and takes some stopping.
7.Openside -Sean Cavanagh, great at making runs and always there when
you need him. Great tackler I may add also.
8. No.8 - Mark Lynch, bull of a man who takes ome stopping
9. Scrum-half- Cian Mackey, great passer and will always keep up with play.
10. Out-half - Alan Brogan, great at conduction the orchrestra and kicker of the ball.
11. Winger - Jack McCaffrey, flyer of a man.
12. Inside Centre - Michael Murphy, Not the quickest but can punch holes in the opposition defences and great at scoring.
13. Connolly - Great ball skills.
14. Winger - Paul Kerrigan, when with ball in hand, fastest man in the game.
15. Full back - Kevin McGourty, just because id love to see him get minced

Made me Laugh Out Loud, Them lads must've been spared the wooden spoon growing up

AZOffaly

Any rugby team made up of GAA players, past included, should have CiarĂ¡n McManus on it. I always thought he'd be a great inside centre, and I think he actually played with Buccs for a while. I know he was in with them.

In fairness GAA skills translate fairly well in the back positions I'd say. I know in the first game of rugby our school ever played, against Tullamore CBS (they weren't allowed push in the scrums, and our hookers legs were dangling off the ground in the scrum because he was so small) we were grand(ish) when the ball was out of the forwards. I was full back and caught a ball over near the sideline. I looked up and their right wing and most of the pack were chasing me down. I went to kick it back over their heads when I changed my mind and dummy soloed. I realised what I'd done and braced myself for the hammering, but the herd of oxen all just trundled past because they thought I'd kicked it. My rugby glory moment was ruined when I passed inside to our prop (don't ask) on the opposition 22 for an easy run in under the posts, and he decided to kick a drop goal instead. It spun off his boot like a spinning top and ended up going into touch 5 metres from the goal. Tulip.

tonto1888

If dipping into the recent past, Id have Kieran McGeeney in the back row.
A more interesting discussion would be which GAA players could play in a rugby league team

orangeman

Frank Mc Guigan played for Rainey.

Bord na Mona man

Daithi Regan played a bit of rugby for Birr. 2nd row I think. At his sporting peak he generally hovered between 15 and 18 stone, so I'd say he was a formidable presence. I wouldn't have fancied trying to lift him in the line outs!

Johnny Pilkington was scrum half for Birr in the late 90s. He'd be good one for the rugby after dinner circuit recounting the social aspects of his career.

Michael Duignan played for Buccaneers for a while as well, usually as inside centre

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 24, 2014, 01:11:34 PM
Daithi Regan played a bit of rugby for Birr. 2nd row I think. At his sporting peak he generally hovered between 15 and 18 stone, so I'd say he was a formidable presence. I wouldn't have fancied trying to lift him in the line outs!

Johnny Pilkington was scrum half for Birr in the late 90s. He'd be good one for the rugby after dinner circuit recounting the social aspects of his career.

Michael Duignan played for Buccaneers for a while as well, usually as inside centre

Was there not a few Laois Rigneys played a bit of rugby for Leinster as well as hurling and football, Brian and Niall?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 01:37:53 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 24, 2014, 01:11:34 PM

Was there not a few Laois Rigneys played a bit of rugby for Leinster as well as hurling and football, Brian and Niall?
Yeah, Brian played for Ireland a few times. The rest of the brothers including Niall played rugby at club level.

Harold Disgracey

Surely a place could be found for one of Longford's finest!

Jinxy

That's the front row sorted.
All 3 positions.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Jinxy on April 24, 2014, 02:07:22 PM
That's the front row sorted.
All 3 positions.
With Larry Reilly occupying 4 other positions on the field, only 8 other players are needed.

time ticking away

Scrum half - Peter Canavan pick any other 14
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......