Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anfheardubh

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2014, 12:35:23 AM
Here's a f**king crazy notion I just had but since I disagree with most lads cures for our problems I better offer something constructive for the rest of ya to tear to shite.

How about playing Mattie at MF, we seem to agree he's too attack minded to play CB or to cover the defence enough. When he's at FF he's too far from the play-making/ engine room to be as effective as he can be and we've a load of options in there anyway. He's strong enough, big enough, composed on the ball and has a decent engine, if we can give Clarke and Joe McMahon a go at MF then why not give Mattie a shot, at least we'd know if it would work and we've pretty much played him every other position on the field in front of the FB line.

Put Block to centre-back to Marshall the defence. Push Petey to Dooher's 10 role which I have always thought was the role he was born to play. McCrory in one corner (he is maybe our worst defender but had a fine game on Sunday). Pick a full-back form Clarke or Justy and let McBride (who had a good first half the last day in Omagh) PJ and Tierney (who had a poor game in both halves) fight it out for the other corner.

A huge part of our collapse the last day was the sending off of Morgan, we brought on a sub keeper who wasn't prepared to be just chucked into the mix, on and kick-outs and organisation in the back went to shit. I'd be less sore on McBride and McRory who had better than usual days in defence prior to that point. Donnelly, Harte and Tierney have less reason to be excused for their defensive lapses.

The TYRONE middle 8  didnt do any favours for the full back line

RUNNERS RUNNERS RUNNERS  Tyrone seemed to get completely overrun, they need to improve their workrate  and dig in
Thats if they have it which i dont
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Under Lights

I think it became very apparent last weekend that MH should have given Mickey O'Neill a couple of games in the league.

Redhand Santa

Here's a f**king crazy notion I just had but since I disagree with most lads cures for our problems I better offer something constructive for the rest of ya to tear to shite.

How about playing Mattie at MF, we seem to agree he's too attack minded to play CB or to cover the defence enough. When he's at FF he's too far from the play-making/ engine room to be as effective as he can be and we've a load of options in there anyway. He's strong enough, big enough, composed on the ball and has a decent engine, if we can give Clarke and Joe McMahon a go at MF then why not give Mattie a shot, at least we'd know if it would work and we've pretty much played him every other position on the field in front of the FB line.

Put Block to centre-back to Marshall the defence. Push Petey to Dooher's 10 role which I have always thought was the role he was born to play. McCrory in one corner (he is maybe our worst defender but had a fine game on Sunday). Pick a full-back form Clarke or Justy and let McBride (who had a good first half the last day in Omagh) PJ and Tierney (who had a poor game in both halves) fight it out for the other corner.

A huge part of our collapse the last day was the sending off of Morgan, we brought on a sub keeper who wasn't prepared to be just chucked into the mix, on and kick-outs and organisation in the back went to shit. I'd be less sore on McBride and McRory who had better than usual days in defence prior to that point. Donnelly, Harte and Tierney have less reason to be excused for their defensive lapses.

I like the idea of Mattie helping around the middle to win breaking ball. But anyone who was at the Kerry game would have doubts about him actually starting midfield. It definitely wasn't all down to him but we totally collapsed in midfield against Kerry in the second half when he moved out there and Sean Cavanagh went to full forward.

I can understand people questioning leaving McCurry out. I just have a feeling he might cause more damage from defence. We're struggling to win our own ball in the full forward line and I just feel if we're going to leave two up he wouldn't be a good enough target. Would love to see him go out and have a big game on Saturday and kick 4 or 5 from play in a big game.

WT4E

Put Block to centre-back to Marshall the defence. Push Petey to Dooher's 10 role which I have always thought was the role he was born to play. McCrory in one corner (he is maybe our worst defender but had a fine game on Sunday). Pick a full-back form Clarke or Justy and let
A huge part of our collapse the last day was the sending off of Morgan, we brought on a sub keeper who wasn't prepared to be just chucked into the mix, on and kick-outs and organisation in the back went to shit. I'd be less sore on McBride and McRory who had better McBride (who had a good first half the last day in Omagh) PJ and Tierney (who had a poor game in both halves) fight it out for the other corner.
than usual days in defence prior to that point. Donnelly, Harte and Tierney have less reason to be excused for their defensive lapses.

What about Carlin is he even still on the squad? I would rate him more than most of those listed. Has anyone got a full list of the squad injured or not?

On another note - reading the Irish News yesterday - what did people make of Sean's comments re Cormac McAnallen? It just didn't sit with me that well, I'd be one for keeping things like that to myself if those thoughts were going on and if I was REALLY being cynical he may only have been doing it for a headline.

AZOffaly

I remember back in March I said I couldn't believe that there were rumblings against Mickey Harte after his accomplishments in Tyrone. I was assured that this was not aimed at Mickey, it was all grand and people were just making fair analysis of the team. I think the posts since (and immediately before) Sunday prove that I was close to the mark back then. I still can't believe it to be honest, but if ye are intent on running him out of town, I think ye better be careful of what you wish for.

Bensars

Tyrones build up is far too slow. The ball is moved into full forward line, the target man turns back and plays ball ball backwards. It then sideways for a series of about 5 hand passes. This allows the oppisition defence time to get all behind the ball.At the same time the half backs have moved into half forward line or more advanced. With aprox 20 players in total inside a space of 30 yds the play enevitably breaks down. There is then 60 metres between an exposed full back line and half back line.

A lot of this group of players have come through the development squads, great at underage and the organisation of the players stands out at that those levels, but an awful lot of these lads miss the creativity to make things happen. They are playing a game plan that looks like painting by numbers.

Also missing is a creative CHF who controls the spread of play. Tyrones variation is missing. The ball will come out of defence to about 50 metres, the player with the ball will then turn back and another will take in field. They will then turn play it back to the player on the sideline who will play it into the corner. the corner/full  forward will collect ball and without looking automatically recycle 10 yds backwards and then there will be a procession of 4-5 cross field hand passes. In a cluttered  potential scoring area and a lot of the time the ball will end with a half back rather that a shooter

AZOffaly

Hereiam

Quote from: Bensars on May 20, 2014, 09:47:37 AM
Tyrones build up is far too slow. The ball is moved into full forward line, the target man turns back and plays ball ball backwards. It then sideways for a series of about 5 hand passes. This allows the oppisition defence time to get all behind the ball.At the same time the half backs have moved into half forward line or more advanced. With aprox 20 players in total inside a space of 30 yds the play enevitably breaks down. There is then 60 metres between an exposed full back line and half back line.

A lot of this group of players have come through the development squads, great at underage and the organisation of the players stands out at that those levels, but an awful lot of these lads miss the creativity to make things happen. They are playing a game plan that looks like painting by numbers.

Also missing is a creative CHF who controls the spread of play. Tyrones variation is missing. The ball will come out of defence to about 50 metres, the player with the ball will then turn back and another will take in field. They will then turn play it back to the player on the sideline who will play it into the corner. the corner/full  forward will collect ball and without looking automatically recycle 10 yds backwards and then there will be a procession of 4-5 cross field hand passes. In a cluttered  potential scoring area and a lot of the time the ball will end with a half back rather that a shooter

Agree with that. It was frustrating to watch. The forwards were just not showing for the ball.

Hereiam

SkillfulBill

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2014, 09:36:05 AM
I remember back in March I said I couldn't believe that there were rumblings against Mickey Harte after his accomplishments in Tyrone. I was assured that this was not aimed at Mickey, it was all grand and people were just making fair analysis of the team. I think the posts since (and immediately before) Sunday prove that I was close to the mark back then. I still can't believe it to be honest, but if ye are intent on running him out of town, I think ye better be careful of what you wish for.

Thats all fine coming from outside the county. I understand outside looking in it may be hard for people to understand but there is a growing sense of frustration within Tyrone at Mickeys tenure which extends to how clubs are treated and the weakness of the county board when dealing with Mickeys demands. These things can be swept under the carpet providing the county team is performing. Most people in GAA circles in the county were shocked at the team selection for sunday. Mickey helped deliver 3 AI's with exceptional talent available to him.
There is and has been a rich vain of talent in the county and the current management team has failed to deliver any return for now going on 6 years. How long would this situation be tolerated in any other county Dublin,Cork, Kerry, Mayo ?

yellowcard

That is exactly how I see it. There is an awful lack of individual flair watching Tyrone teams play football over the last few years. They play an awful rigid, structured, low risk possession based game. Its a gameplan where possession is king, and its almost as though they are pre-programmed in their decision making before they take to the field. Its a classic case of players being over coached from an early age. In my opinion players should be taught all the basic skills from an early age but there has to be a freedom of expression for individuals to think outside the box and not constantly being forced to make movements or decisions based on what a coach tells them.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on May 20, 2014, 10:02:41 AM
AI semi, scraping by Monaghan, Meath & Kildare. :-\

AI Semi Final. I don't give a shite if they limped, hopped or scraped there. I bet Antrim would love to have been there, and I know Offaly would. Maybe Mickey does need to shake things up, and maybe he does need to step down if he feels he can't give any more. But if he feels he still has something to offer, I think his record speaks for itself, and Tyrone fans would want to be fairly fecking sure that getting rid of their most successful manager ever, by several miles, was the right thing to do. As seafoid said, you could end up following in the footsteps of Meath and Armagh very quickly, and trying to get back to the top table.

Club Rossa

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on May 20, 2014, 10:25:12 AM

That is exactly how I see it. There is an awful lack of individual flair watching Tyrone teams play football over the last few years. They play an awful rigid, structured, low risk possession based game. Its a gameplan where possession is king, and its almost as though they are pre-programmed in their decision making before they take to the field. Its a classic case of players being over coached from an early age. In my opinion players should be taught all the basic skills from an early age but there has to be a freedom of expression for individuals to think outside the box and not constantly being forced to make movements or decisions based on what a coach tells them.

Very true.  It is also very noticeable that no Tyrone player (especially in the FF line) seems to get the ball and try and beat his man and run for goal.  Every other county has players who do this game in game out, and we have the players so why aren't they doing it.  The team seems to have really went stale from a tactical perspective under Harte, really think its time for a change. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

There's a frankly ridiculous level of over-analysis on this thread from Tyrone supporters.