So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Throw ball

Quote from: orangeman on February 13, 2016, 10:13:34 PM
Some interesting interpretations of the carta dubh today in the club semi finals today in particular the Clonmel game.

:o

But Cassidy was referee so interesting interpretations are the norm!

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2015, 04:29:08 AM
Being more lenient is no solution at all. A black that ends the player's game and prevents a sub being introduced for ten minutes might cut a lot of the abuse of the system we currently see.
That's still doesn't solve the huge inconsistencies of the application of the black card.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2016, 08:45:25 AM
Being more lenient is no solution at all. A black that ends the player's game and prevents a sub being introduced for ten minutes might cut a lot of the abuse of the system we currently see.
That's still doesn't solve the huge inconsistencies of the application of the black card.
I think the problem this year is that referees have been listening to the pundits too much. A black card should be hard to get, but pundits continuously moan (mostly wrongly) that various incidents should have seen additional black cards.

Apart from third man tackles to take a man out of the game, which I think are obvious enough and now quite rare, the primary way to get a black card is to deliberately take a man to the ground. So the ref has to be happy that the defender is not making an attempt to play the ball, but only has the intention of bringing his man to the ground. That's a high enough bar to get over, and I thought in the main it was reffed very well last year.

But this year a lot of the refs seem to have lowered that bar.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on February 15, 2016, 09:25:41 AM
I think the problem this year is that referees have been listening to the pundits too much. A black card should be hard to get, but pundits continuously moan (mostly wrongly) that various incidents should have seen additional black cards.

Apart from third man tackles to take a man out of the game, which I think are obvious enough and now quite rare, the primary way to get a black card is to deliberately take a man to the ground. So the ref has to be happy that the defender is not making an attempt to play the ball, but only has the intention of bringing his man to the ground. That's a high enough bar to get over, and I thought in the main it was reffed very well last year.

I would agree with all of that (apart from the fact I don't think it has ever been well refereed)

There just seems to be this ever fuzzier between a yellow card and a black card.

We also seem to have fallen into this trap of thinking every foul now deserves a card of some colour.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2016, 09:41:16 AM

I would agree with all of that (apart from the fact I don't think it has ever been well refereed)

There just seems to be this ever fuzzier between a yellow card and a black card.

We also seem to have fallen into this trap of thinking every foul now deserves a card of some colour.

Listen to the managers, subs, crowds when a foul occurs. There are shouts of black, yellow or red - no one knows.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: orangeman on February 15, 2016, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2016, 09:41:16 AM

Listen to the managers, subs, crowds when a foul occurs. There are shouts of black, yellow or red - no one knows.

That bugs the life out of me.  I was in front of a vociferous Castlebar boy the other day and every foul was met with 'where's the black card ref?'.  I was tempted to give him a black card up the hole but the kids were with me!

Rossfan

Never occur to such eejits to read the playing rules once a year ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 14, 2016, 04:19:55 PM
SIN BIN.

The Black Card, the refs or the Rule Book?

Can any knowledgable person here please explain to me why Quinlivan's tackle was a Black Card? I saw it once on the box and it just looked like a slightly aggressive hit but no more. What did I miss?
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: muppet on February 15, 2016, 08:00:31 PM
SIN BIN.

Can any knowledgable person here please explain to me why Quinlivan's tackle was a Black Card? I saw it once on the box and it just looked like a slightly aggressive hit but no more. What did I miss?
I have to say I thought the same.only seen it once. But to me it was never a black card.

sligoman2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2016, 11:49:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 15, 2016, 08:00:31 PM
SIN BIN.

I have to say I thought the same.only seen it once. But to me it was never a black card.

That was a terrible call by the Ref, it sucked the life out of Clonmel.  It was barely a free imo.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

rosnarun

after watching Mayo and monaghan and Kerry Donegal you have to come to the conclusion Black card has become totally discredited. Fair enough aidan o se got a black Card early and if that was the ref Laying down the guidelines for the game I have no problem . but for the redt of the game the Exact same tackle was either not punished or received a ticking of equally meaning less yellow card.
again I have no problem with Keegans card exactly the type of foul it was introduced for but MAyo wer subject to several identical tackle and no black card.
and how Donegal received no Black card to Kerrys 2 is an absolute mystery.
I think Croke Park should accept the fact the ref's are incapable to implementing the rule (as they are of the advantage Rule) and Scrap It completely

Wait till you see the balls the Like of Kinsella and Mc quillian will make of the Mark
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

westbound

What did Aidan o'Shea do to get his black card? (I didn't see the game)

rosnarun

I was there but my view was obstructed looks likE a  rugby tackle which is a black card if that's what happened though how a tacked on a surrounded back can be construed as cynical is beyond me. but thems the Rules.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

westbound

Deliberate pull down is black card rule (if that's what he did?).