So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

sligoman2

I would be interested to see if opinions have changed.  Personally I think it has improved the game and eliminated a lot of the pulling and dragging and cynical fouls.  There also have been some controversial black card decisions but overall I think it has improved the game and I for one am now a fan of the black card.

After 7 league games, most people would have an opinion one way or another.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

blewuporstuffed

I am still very much in the No camp.
I think the tyrone v dublin game highlighted the inconsistencies of the rules and how some of the calls are extremely difficult to call correctly.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

theticklemister

Club football is a joke and the local season is very much in earnest!!!

Croí na hÉireann

One thing I've noticed is how reluctant referees are to give them. The yellow is the new throw the ball in.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bingo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 08, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
One thing I've noticed is how reluctant referees are to give them. The yellow is the new throw the ball in.

This.

Any club match I've seen there hasn't been a whiff of a black card but several black card offences. Its mainly been Reserve matches but at a  minor match last week the ref (who was smaller and seemed younger than some of the players) give one of our lads one. At least he had the bottle to, the more senior refs don't seem to want to.

The senior league kicks off this weekend, so will be interesting then .

The worry is currently refs won't give them, old habits continue and then come championship or matches with the Intercounty level refs they'll be more rigourous with the black cards. I suppose its the same old story of looking for consistency.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Very inconsistent so far but there is an improvement in some games...............................no doubt any fault found is down to Dublin Gaa of course  ::)

orangeman

But surely the accumulation yellow cards still ends in a suspension ?

3 consecutive yellows still gets you a suspension.

sligoman2

Quote from: orangeman on April 08, 2014, 04:43:07 PM
But surely the accumulation yellow cards still ends in a suspension ?

3 consecutive yellows still gets you a suspension.
Is that 3 yellows in the same year?  I'm not aware of that
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

dferg

I thought it would be a disaster but it has really cut out all the cynical fouling.

Now a player thinks twice before body checking a player to stop a run.

whitey

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 08, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Very inconsistent so far but there is an improvement in some games...............................no doubt any fault found is down to Dublin Gaa of course  ::)

Lets bring in a "team foul" penalty. if a team, lets say the Dubs for example (LOL)  commit more than 20 fouls, the opposition get a 14 yard free regardless of where the foul occurred.  Alternatively if uour team commits double the number of fouls as your opponent, your opponent would have their score topped up by 2 points at the end of the game

stibhan

At intercounty level it has definitely worked but at club level it has been an absolute disaster. A lot of referees have no clue about it and I've seen red card offences go for a black card, and black card offences go for a yellow. Ridiculous.

Maguire01

Monaghan accumulated a grand total of 0 black cards in the 7 league games.

Syferus

Definitely the threat of it has made games more open and more of a test of genuine skill rather than bullying tactics.

Referees are applying it very unevenly, though, hopefully the overall consistency improves with time.

Only people with a vested interest in niggling, ugly play could ever defend the old way over what we have now. It may not be perfect but it's a damn sight better than what we had and it highlights the aspects of the sport that should be front-and-center.

rrhf

It has changed the game to a non physical gaelic lite type sport. I m sure soccer had to evolve like this to become the w bland yet palatable sporting soufflé it is today.  It's impossible to defend against running teams.  Really Finding it a turn off.

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on April 08, 2014, 10:01:27 PM
It has changed the game to a non physical gaelic lite type sport. I m sure soccer had to evolve like this to become the w bland yet palatable sporting soufflé it is today.  It's impossible to defend against running teams.  Really Finding it a turn off.

+1

Netball on speed.
MWWSI 2017