Referees and People With An Extensive Knowledge of Football RULES - Help Needed

Started by Croí na hÉireann, April 12, 2007, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

And the nomination from the Sligo delegation wille be ....................Michael Hughes ;D

neilthemac

the tackle in football is where an attempt is made to disposses a player of the ball when the tackling player's attempt is on the ball - not the man. the tackle has to be made with the open hand

problem solved

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: neilthemac on April 12, 2007, 06:29:35 PM
there is a referee's training DVD which is used in training courses - this covers all aspects of football and hurling including some video clips etc

it is hard to get a copy of though as it cannot be copied from one DVD to another

Thanks neilthemac. I presume these video clips are of championship action that show what is a foul and what isn't. Has anyone else seen this DVD? Is there any animation on it, e.g. flash clips of players?

Quote from: Hardy on April 13, 2007, 07:49:21 AM
Not answering your question, but how did the whole rolling ball thing become a 'grey area'? There's no confusion at all in the rules. You can't pick the ball off the ground, whether it's moving ot not. Who first put out the nonsense that you can pick it up if it's rolling?

It can be clearly seen in Croke Park most days, Alan Brogan is a repeat offender who for some reason sticks out in my mind. He sticks both boots into the sod, shoulder width apart, and lifts the ball straight off the ground as it rolls into him. If people see it often enough go unpunished, they begin to believe it.

Some useful help here but need more specific examples. What are your gripes with the rules or rather the publics and referees interpretation of them. Uladhs case in point of the "two man tackle" is a good example. What other comments do you hear at matches that you know to be factually incorrect gets on your nerves???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not answering your question directly there Croí na hÉireann, but one rule that almost all referees ignore is the 13-metre minimum distance for free-kicks.  It appears that it's not even something they're vaguely aware of when free-kicks are being taken, but if it's a rule, it should be enforced.  Conversely, as mentioned, some of them enforce the non-existent 'two-man tackle' rule, entirely at their own indiscretion.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

aontroim abu

The new rule book itself is only just out in the last few months, so a dvd which matches this might be a time coming.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 13, 2007, 12:48:09 PM
Not answering your question directly there Croí na hÉireann, but one rule that almost all referees ignore is the 13-metre minimum distance for free-kicks.  It appears that it's not even something they're vaguely aware of when free-kicks are being taken, but if it's a rule, it should be enforced.  Conversely, as mentioned, some of them enforce the non-existent 'two-man tackle' rule, entirely at their own indiscretion.
just as a matter of interest, without looking it up, do you know the correct decision here?

Billys Boots

QuoteTommy Dowd had a  way of collecting the ball by running out to meet it and, instead of waiting for a dunt in the arse when he bent down to pick it up, he'd go down full length on the ground, slide into it and pick it up clean, all in one movement and he nearly always got away with it – I don't know why.

I remember the great Kevin O'Brien (of Wicklow) was brilliant at this, though in fairness I rarely saw him pick it clean off the ground.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 13, 2007, 01:10:48 PM

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 13, 2007, 12:48:09 PM
just as a matter of interest, without looking it up, do you know the correct decision here?

Not quite with you aontroim abu, decision in regard to what exactly?  An  X-man tackle is not an offence unless one or more of the tacklers commits an identifiable offence, i.e, closed fist tackle.  In relation to the free-kicks, then unless the receiver is at least 13 metres away, that's a whistle.

aontroim abu

apologies for not being clear, another refereeing fault, player too close to his own player when taking a free? what should be the outcome?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 13, 2007, 01:30:34 PM
apologies for not being clear, another refereeing fault, player too close to his own player when taking a free? what should be the outcome?

I believe that would be a hopped ball?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 13, 2007, 01:30:34 PM

Think it's rule 4.11 A - free kick from where the foul occurred.

GalwaySham

QuoteNot answering your question, but how did the whole rolling ball thing become a 'grey area'? There's no confusion at all in the rules. You can't pick the ball off the ground, whether it's moving ot not. Who first put out the nonsense that you can pick it up if it's rolling?

That drives me up the wall when yo are at a match, the player blatantly picks it straight from the ground and some eejit in fronm of you starts giving out to the ref, "it was rolling!"

aontroim abu

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 13, 2007, 01:53:56 PM
Excellent answer windie, go to the top of the class

Ty. I knew Gerry McClory's tests would come in useful !!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 13, 2007, 01:53:56 PM
Excellent answer windie, go to the top of the class

Should have read the rules fully instead of watching the refs!  ;)