Referees and People With An Extensive Knowledge of Football RULES - Help Needed

Started by Croí na hÉireann, April 12, 2007, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Just bringing this one back to the top lads. Anyone else out there with some gripes of the rules?

Another one that's open to interpretation seems to be the fist/hand pass, particularily when it's done at head level with the open hand pointed towards the sky.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ardal

There seems to be a kind of 2 handed throw which is being accepted as a hand pass, especially when the pass is almost directly horizontal

Croí na hÉireann

Can anyone confirm that there was a rule change brought in this year that states that no more that four players can surround a player with the ball?

Also needing confirmation that the handpass where the player is holding the ball at head height (like a waiter does with a tray) and pushes the ball away with the other open hand is within the rules?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

neilthemac

no rule for four players tackling. you could have the entire team surround a player as long as they don't foul him

there has to be a definite striking action on the ball in a handpass - cannot be pushed or flicked

Black and white

the one and only time i ever got sent off playing football was for telling a ref that there was no such rule in gaelic football as the 2 man tackle. after he blow a foul and shouted 2 man tackle.

Pangurban

Never mind the two man tackle,what about the two hands  tackle

neilthemac

the ball can be handpassed by releasing it from the hand and striking it (even with the same hand) - as long as there is a clear striking motion by the hand - doesn't matter if its an open hand or a closed fist (except for scoring a point with the handpass which must be done with a closed fist...)

anything else?

Sandy Hill

One rule that seems to be consistently ignored is the 4 step rule though I noticed that the ref in the Cavan/Down game last Sunday did apply it. He would be the rare exception though.
"Stercus accidit"

neilthemac

the rule just states that there must be a clear striking action of the hand

doesn't matter if it is overhead or between the legs.

clear striking action!! i.e. no pushing of the ball

neilthemac

and you can't throw up the ball to hit it, cause that would be a throw...

David McKeown

The three things that annoy me most are the footblock they dont seem to blown by some refs whilst other enforce the rule strictly.  The other rule I have always wondered about is are you allowed to solo the ball before taking a free, my reading of the rule book is that you arent but I have only seen one ref enforce this.  Finally tackling the ball when the keeper has it, again I read this as being allowed but again every ref seems to penalise it.

Mind you we had a ref last year who booked for an off the ground, moved a free kick 30m and when asked why said because the man who fouled him was within 30metres when the free was taken and worst of all  sent a man off straight red for repeated square balls.  That ref annoyed me more than anything in the rule book
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

neilthemac

footblock by a goalie really annoys me. however, if the ball is already on the ground then a footblock is legal!

once the free is given and before the whistle is blown you can do anything you want with the ball. once the whistle is blown you obviously cannot solo the ball as another player must touch the ball after the freekick before the free taker can retake possession ... so it'll be a free against the freetaker

the keeper cannot be tackled inside the small square. after that its fair game. deck the cnut i say!

David McKeown

I dont quite agree with those last two points Neil.  I dont think they can solo a ball unless play is stopped or its a 13m free as then they will have played it quickly.

In relation  I maintain they can be tackled just not charged because the rule says.

When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his puck, kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

Every ref seems to blow for it though and I agree in relation to the footblock

neilthemac

sorry, that is indeed a hurling rule. goalies in hurling may not be tackled inside the small square. in football they can be tackled (legally) anywhere

well, from a free the ball isn't technically allowed to be played until the whistle goes. so soloing before the whistle is the same as bouncing it I would have thought. however, if the whistle goes and you solo it then the free should be reversed

David McKeown

I thought the only time you had to wait for a whistle was for a 13m free or when play was stopped e.g. for a booking or an injury.  Apart from that I thought you could take a free as quickly as you wanted.