Referees and People With An Extensive Knowledge of Football RULES - Help Needed

Started by Croí na hÉireann, April 12, 2007, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Folks,

I'm looking for help from current/past referees and those with a good knowledge of the rulebook (no Paddy Collins jibes please). I'd like to know what help is currently available in an interactive format to help referees with the rules of the game (if there's any at all), e.g. is there a DVD available with TV footage of what is and isn't a foul? Is there any animation of legal and illegal play currently out there? Is any of this stuff available online? I see that GAA.ie has some videos on its new site but these deal with the skills rather than demonstrate what is a foul and what isn't.

I should clarify that I'm nearing the end of an MA in Digital Media and wish to design an artifact to help referees (new and old) make consistent, correct decisions. I'm thinking of using 3D animation to illustrate what is a foul and what isn't. I'm thinking more along the lines of the greyer areas of the rules and not the likes of you can't hop the ball twice. The primary "grey area" I had in mind for example is the rolling ball, do you have to stick your toe underneath it, can you lift it straight off the ground, does anyone even know? What other "grey areas" would you like addressed?

Would this proposed application help prospective/current referees, players and the general public? (If the players and the general public have a better understanding of the rules hopefully it would lead to a reduction in the grief referees get). Would this idea be better implemented in another way? I'm sure there's questions I've forgotten to ask and points that need clarified so don't hold back.

Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to disclose your secret life as a referee etc.,  everything will be dealt with in the strictest confidence. I know a few here perform the role of the man in the middle and I would be very interested in hearing your views/opinions. Once approved (fingers crossed) I'll be getting a questionaire together so even if you'd only like to be included in that drop me a line and I'll send it out to you when ready.

Croí.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

neilthemac

there is a referee's training DVD which is used in training courses - this covers all aspects of football and hurling including some video clips etc

it is hard to get a copy of though as it cannot be copied from one DVD to another

magpie seanie

Is that the video showing O'Hara giving out to a referee? Most of them must have watched it so.

Hardy

Not answering your question, but how did the whole rolling ball thing become a 'grey area'? There's no confusion at all in the rules. You can't pick the ball off the ground, whether it's moving ot not. Who first put out the nonsense that you can pick it up if it's rolling?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hardy on April 13, 2007, 07:49:21 AM
Not answering your question, but how did the whole rolling ball thing become a 'grey area'? There's no confusion at all in the rules. You can't pick the ball off the ground, whether it's moving ot not. Who first put out the nonsense that you can pick it up if it's rolling?

I think it was allowed some time ago but i could be wrong.  U know the way they try differnt things in the league possibly it was something like that.

lynchbhoy

I think the mis-labelling of the ball bouncing along the ground as 'rolling' helped this.
ITs mystifying that you see players each championship season pick the ball clean off the ground in croke park.
Its not as if they havent been drilled into doing this their whole footballing lives since being a kid.
However I believe that each training session should include the basics for a couple of minutes at the start.
It certainly worked for the team I was involved with last year - the only time we were peanalised for lifting the ball off the ground was in the league final and incorectly against one of our midfielders.

I would not be too surprised if Meath players had a tendency to pick the ball off the ground. My reccolection of league/championship in the royalist county was the terrible refereeing that allowed people to kick the fingers off you when attempting to pick the ball up legitimately. You learned to perform the art very quickly!

lynchbhoy

back to the point
I know of no material, but somethign like this would be a great help to referees, and also to every young(or old) club player in football or hurling.
The GAA should commission some actors (Laois/tyrone?) to act out the rules of the game - and bring the GAA further into the high tech media age.

Billys Boots

For God's sake, don't be helping this fellah - do ye want the Championship to end up in the High Court?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

Glad he made the distinction between Refereees and people who have good knowledge of the rules.

realredhandfan

Hardy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 13, 2007, 08:35:12 AM
I think the mis-labelling of the ball bouncing along the ground as 'rolling' helped this.

I think that must be it. I had never heard of this myth, by the way, until I started to frequent this board. It's my perception that it's mostly a Northern idea – I'm sure the first lads I heard talking about it were from up there.

QuoteITs mystifying that you see players each championship season pick the ball clean off the ground in croke park.
I would not be too surprised if Meath players had a tendency to pick the ball off the ground. My reccolection of league/championship in the royalist county was the terrible refereeing that allowed people to kick the fingers off you when attempting to pick the ball up legitimately. You learned to perform the art very quickly!
You can't beat good skill training!

Tommy Dowd had a  way of collecting the ball by running out to meet it and, instead of waiting for a dunt in the arse when he bent down to pick it up, he'd go down full length on the ground, slide into it and pick it up clean, all in one movement and he nearly always got away with it – I don't know why.

Silky

This as a good idea lad. The rules relating to the tackle in football have always been a complete mystery to me.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Uladh

It's like the "two man tackle" myth some other eejit started. the number of times you hear it called out at a match is unreal.
it's a free if there' a foul, no matter if there are one or ten tacklers.