Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 07, 2014, 07:22:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 07, 2014, 02:45:19 PM
Confirmed for 1400 next Sunday.

Hard to see past a resounding win for Derry

Why so pessimistic?

No forwards, chokers, any cliche you'd find in a Eugene mcgee article  ;)

Ah, sure Eugene said last week that it was our chance to finally beat Dublin in Headquarters. Guess he's not counting 2012? He's some man our Eugene.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 07, 2014, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 02:12:17 PM

Off the top of my head Boyle v Dublin the only one?

Aidan O'se v Kildare as well.

Ah, I don't know. The league is a strange animal and Derry are still not recognised as being among the stronger counties (yet!). With us it it is hard to know what direction we are going in. I fear that burn out and championship fatigue could set in this summer.

This is bonus territory now anyway and if we do manage to win the tin pot we ll have to do it off peak which wouldn t be a bad indication at all. I hope I m right Bunker but I see no signs of fatigue being a factor later in the Summer. In fact likes of Andy and Kevin Mac (who has some injury or another I hear) have looked better already than at any stage last year. But a bit of freshening up might help as well but there s little enough fresh to come in. Gibbons adds a bit of freshness and I hope we persists with Parsons too.

I d start the semi with Gibbons and Parsons at 8 and 9 and Aidan at 11. Parsons unlikely to get the full game but lots of muscle in Seamie and Barry to come in or readjust with Aidan. I d flank Aidan with Keith and Kevin if he s fit. With Cillian, Freeman and Andy the other forwards.

Any word on Dillon? Gallagher?
Not as worried about burn out as much as lack of depth and quality in the forwards. Without the likes of McLoughlin and Cillian our forwards wouldn t cut it in division 3. Freeman got flak from some for his performance in CP but he has been our second most impressive forward. Yet the doubt remains that we will not be able to get him on the ball in the really big games.

Not too worried about our defense. Mostly easily enough sorted. A bit worried about the keeper. His kickouts last day with the wind were poor. He s also been poor for 3 goals during the league. Still, it looks like he s going to have the most secure position on the team.

macdanger2

Interesting that Parsons was moved to wing forward when Barry Moran came on on Sunday although with no great success - Could he do a job there??

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 07, 2014, 10:32:58 PM
Interesting that Parsons was moved to wing forward when Barry Moran came on on Sunday although with no great success - Could he do a job there??

No. Is the short answer. His shot selection the last day was poor.

Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 10:04:53 PM

Ah, I don't know. The league is a strange animal and Derry are still not recognised as being among the stronger counties (yet!). With us it it is hard to know what direction we are going in. I fear that burn out and championship fatigue could set in this summer.

This is bonus territory now anyway and if we do manage to win the tin pot we ll have to do it off peak which wouldn t be a bad indication at all. I hope I m right Bunker but I see no signs of fatigue being a factor later in the Summer. In fact likes of Andy and Kevin Mac (who has some injury or another I hear) have looked better already than at any stage last year. But a bit of freshening up might help as well but there s little enough fresh to come in. Gibbons adds a bit of freshness and I hope we persists with Parsons too.

I d start the semi with Gibbons and Parsons at 8 and 9 and Aidan at 11. Parsons unlikely to get the full game but lots of muscle in Seamie and Barry to come in or readjust with Aidan. I d flank Aidan with Keith and Kevin if he s fit. With Cillian, Freeman and Andy the other forwards.

Not as worried about burn out as much as lack of depth and quality in the forwards. Without the likes of McLoughlin and Cillian our forwards wouldn t cut it in division 3. Freeman got flak from some for his performance in CP but he has been our second most impressive forward. Yet the doubt remains that we will not be able to get him on the ball in the really big games.

Not too worried about our defense. Mostly easily enough sorted. A bit worried about the keeper. His kickouts last day with the wind were poor. He s also been poor for 3 goals during the league. Still, it looks like he s going to have the most secure position on the team.

A level of burn out just has to be there. We are into year 4 with this group.  One AI Semi final loss in 2011 and two AI final losses  in 2012 and 2013. Coupled with League semi final losses in 2013 and final loss in 2012. We've had no short year since Horan took over in 2011 and allot of Big (AI's) and small (League final) disappointments. That's allot of disappointment and each with each one it becomes harder to come back and maintain the drive and belief. I don't doubt our confidence in Connacht. But if we meet a really hungry team in Croker, I think we will be turned over. I'm not writing this group off. Far from it. But I just feel the hill has gotten a little higher to climb from 2012 and especially from 2013 in which we had one of our best championship ever (and i don't say that lightly). Should we beat Derry and get to another final and (god forsake us) lose. Then, how do we go about business in the summer? I know it's a minor competition, but it's another disappointment and like the fans, the players are only human and it has to eek into their well being, drive and confidence? Hope I'm (really, really) wrong.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 07, 2014, 11:09:03 PM

Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 10:04:53 PM

A level of burn out just has to be there. We are into year 4 with this group.  One AI Semi final loss in 2011 and two AI final losses  in 2012 and 2013. Coupled with League semi final losses in 2013 and final loss in 2012. We've had no short year since Horan took over in 2011 and allot of Big (AI's) and small (League final) disappointments. That's allot of disappointment and each with each one it becomes harder to come back and maintain the drive and belief. I don't doubt our confidence in Connacht. But if we meet a really hungry team in Croker, I think we will be turned over. I'm not writing this group off. Far from it. But I just feel the hill has gotten a little higher to climb from 2012 and especially from 2013 in which we had one of our best championship ever (and i don't say that lightly). Should we beat Derry and get to another final and (god forsake us) lose. Then, how do we go about business in the summer? I know it's a minor competition, but it's another disappointment and like the fans, the players are only human and it has to eek into their well being, drive and confidence? Hope I'm (really, really) wrong.

Correct. Parson s was moved to the wing to get Barry on and SOS on the field at the same time. It s tempting to try and play all these midfielders at the same time but it won't work. Aidan might be a different stroke in the forwards but the others I dont think so.

I take your point about burn out but I think these guys are on a different level and we re probably still well short of what the better teams can do fitness wise. Not sure disappointment is as big a factor either.

We re in a league semi against the head. Not winning it is not going to be a big issue. Can t see a big rush for this double header next Sunday. 2 of the worst supported top teams involved. And then you have Cork V Dublin ;)

From the Bunker

macdanger2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 07, 2014, 11:09:03 PM

That's true but our other options there are hardly free-scoring, Carolan, Doc, Higgins, Feeney.....

macdanger2

What's the story with Dillon?? Is he still injured or back in training??

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 10, 2014, 10:04:39 AM
What's the story with Dillon?? Is he still injured or back in training??

From what i hear he is getting himself right. Good man to have. But like Andy hard to know with another year on the clock how he'd survive in the modern fast pace game.

macdanger2

Yeah, but might be handy to have coming off the bench to steady the ship when we're 8 points up against Dublin in the AIF  ;D

Farrandeelin

I know I'll be shot down for it but I can see Derry beating us. I mean, it's not as if we made wholesale changes the way Derry did last Sunday and even at that we were unconvincing. However, on the flip side, those who were out would make a lot of good county teams, so hopefully they'll come in, in tip top form and do the business on Sunday. Hopefully the latter scenario will prevail.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 10, 2014, 04:45:05 PM
I know I'll be shot down for it but I can see Derry beating us. I mean, it's not as if we made wholesale changes the way Derry did last Sunday and even at that we were unconvincing. However, on the flip side, those who were out would make a lot of good county teams, so hopefully they'll come in, in tip top form and do the business on Sunday. Hopefully the latter scenario will prevail.

I'd be shocked if you were over-confident!  ;D

If we win this the final would be only days before we fly to The Big Apple.

Better off giving Hoof Hearted and the boys a day out against the Dubs.
MWWSI 2017

Estimator

Derry team to play Mayo in the Allianz NFL semi-final at Croke Park on Sunday (2pm) is as follows:
1. Thomas Mallon (An Lúb)
2. Oisín Duffy (Forghleann)
3. Chrissy McKaigue (Leacht Néill)
4. Dermot McBride (Baile na Scrine)
5. Kevin Johnson (Dún Geimhin)
6. Gerard O'Kane (Gleann an Iolair)
7. Sean Leo McGoldrick (Eoghan Rua)
8. Fergal Doherty (Baile Eachaidh)
9. Patsy Bradley (Leacht Néill)
10. Ciarán McFaul (Gleann)
11. Mark Lynch (Beannchar) (C)
12. Enda Lynn (Grainlocha)
13. Benny Heron (Baile na Scrine)
14. Emmett McGuckin (Machaire Fíolta)
15. Cailean O'Boyle (Leamhaigh)
16. Eoin McNicholl (Gleann an Iolair)
17. Conor McAtamney (Suaitreach)
18. Karl McKaigue (Leacht Néill)
19. Charlie Kielt (Cill Ria)
20. Aidan McAlynn (An Lúb)
21. Mark Craig (Dún Geimhin)
22. Niall Holly (Eoghan Rua)
23. Aaron Devlin (Baile an Doire)
24. Danny Heavron (Machaire Fíolta)
25. Carlus McWilliams (Baile na Scrine)
26. Ciarán McGoldrick (Eoghan Rua)
27. Aaron Kerrigan (Clóidigh)
28. Declan Mullan (Eoghan Rua)
29. James Kearney (Suaitreach)
30. Emmet Bradley (Gleann)
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: muppet on April 10, 2014, 05:18:36 PM

sure we beat them hoors easy enough already a few weeks  back.

Will be interesting to see how yous do against our seniors
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 10, 2014, 09:03:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 10, 2014, 05:18:36 PM

sure we beat them hoors easy enough already a few weeks  back.

Will be interesting to see how yous do against our seniors

That it will, last week was a only a like a back garden kick about!