Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 06, 2014, 05:30:10 PM
Mayo learned nothing other than they are back in the league semi finals again.

Not so sure about learning nothing Farr. We learned that we don't seem to want to put teams away. Our forward line was not existent bar Freeman. Parsons looks a good option, but at time you could see he's not training with these guys the options he took. Good to see Moran and Feeney get time. Feeney had another rush of blood and lucky to get a yellow instead of a black. Emmett McGuckin was eminence today. What a target man! He went like a knife through butter through our back line. I thought Keane had a great game. With all this I still take into account the opposition.

All said we have an awful lot of players of the same level especially in the forwards. All are decent, but none are consistently good never mind outstanding. Most of the areas we are above average in we seem to have strengthened in. Which ain't bad as you always need backup, but it would have been great to have nabbed one new decent(ish) forward. Which remind me what's the story with Gallagher?

The good thing about today is Derry will have learned little as there was so much chopping/changing and second gear performances from Mayo (it's hard to know how bad we are!). Anyway we have another day in headquarters (I think) and another chance to further familiarise ourselves with the hallowed turf.

bucko

When Derry named for their team for today, it actually created an issue for Horan; to get the win without showing too much of his hand to McIver. There was no other reason behind the Derry selection other than resting most of their first 15 and keeping their powder dry. I would reckon that McIver hoped to see near our first choice 15 today given our need to win the game, but in fairness to Horan I'm glad he made the changes he did before throw in. It meant that he rested McLoughlin, Keegan, Gibbons and AOS, 4 very important players and in the case of the first 3, our best players of the league so far (also I think that it was no bad thing that those guys got a weekend off, they've played a lot of football over the last 14 months). Also it meant that McIver couldn't see these guys up close. Still probably could have won more comfortably than we did, sounded like a lot of guys never really got themselves going. But given both line ups the game was always going to be difficult one to ignite. Gonna make for an interesting next day out!

macdanger2

They were saying on Midwest that Adam G wasn't on the 26 at all despite being originally named - anyone know why??

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 06, 2014, 07:15:52 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 06, 2014, 05:30:10 PM
Mayo learned nothing other than they are back in the league semi finals again.

Not so sure about learning nothing Farr. We learned that we don't seem to want to put teams away. Our forward line was not existent bar Freeman. Parsons looks a good option, but at time you could see he's not training with these guys the options he took. Good to see Moran and Feeney get time. Feeney had another rush of blood and lucky to get a yellow instead of a black. Emmett McGuckin was eminence today. What a target man! He went like a knife through butter through our back line. I thought Keane had a great game. With all this I still take into account the opposition.

All said we have an awful lot of players of the same level especially in the forwards. All are decent, but none are consistently good never mind outstanding. Most of the areas we are above average in we seem to have strengthened in. Which ain't bad as you always need backup, but it would have been great to have nabbed one new decent(ish) forward. Which remind me what's the story with Gallagher?

The good thing about today is Derry will have learned little as there was so much chopping/changing and second gear performances from Mayo (it's hard to know how bad we are!). Anyway we have another day in headquarters (I think) and another chance to further familiarise ourselves with the hallowed turf.

Agree with most of that I think.
I really liked Parsons though. Pure quality even if there were a couple of errors. Fielding, mobility etc. Not many players his size can solo full tilt off either foot. Thought Boyler and Freeman were superb too. Thought Andy had a good game too though I might be in the minority there.

But this game showed how crucial likes of Cillian, AOS, Higggins, Keegan and Kevin Mac are. And more recently Gibbons.
Our forward line ( with the exception of Freeeman and Andy) in second half was very poor and the subs added nothing.

blast05

A few random comments....

A big big crowd for a game that was likely to be short odds for a Mayo win. It goes to show the impact of games on TG4, i.e.: if that game was live on TG4 today i'd say there would have been 3K less ... does money from TG4 or wherever it comes from for TV rights make up for this ? I doubt it.

Kevin Keane - credit the guy, he had a good game. However, how would he handle a quick corner forward on a bigger faster pitch. Not too well i fear.

Donie Vaughan ..... i honestly don't know what role he is supposed to be playing but it certainly isn't centre back. Its almost as if he has a free role and we don't bother with a centre back. In both of our last 2 games, the vast majority of opponents scores came from playing the ball up through the centre rather than the wings and yet i can't think of a single time where Vaughan 'stopped' the opposition. There was at least a dozen times Colm Boyle done this today - most in the No. 6 general area rather than on the wing. So why none from Vaughan? Instead, he has treated us to 3 scores from 8 shots from play in the last 2 games. Shane McHale would be a more effective centre back

Parsons ... his first 35 minutes confirmed he can be there or thereabouts for a starting slot come championship - not neceassirly in midfield though.

Andy Moran ..... i can see why people are saying he played well - 2 reasons: he gathered a lot of breaking ball (much more so in the first half when Derry were pathetic) and he was on the ball a lot. However, when he is on the ball he just does everything so slowly and my fear is that - no more than setting the tone of trying to play out the clock against Dublin - his demanding the ball and slow use of it will dictate (to our detriment) overall how the forward line plays. Its ok allowing play to be dictated to a degree by a 'ball-demanding' quarterback type No. 11 a la Ciaran McDonald; but good and all as Andy is he is not a Ciaran Mc

Freeman ..... what a difference playing the ball a bit longer when kicking it into him actually makes. Last week ball after ball didn't stick cos it didn't hang or was just too short. The right ball into him will end up as half a goal chance 3 out of every 4 times against all full backs i have seen this year (including Ross O'C).

Shrewdness

When it comes to goals scored in this year's National League, Mayo and Tipperary were joint top scorers with 14 goals each. When it comes to goals conceded, the worst defence in the country was Mayo who conceded 14 goals, an average of 2 per game.. Do any of the Mayo supporters on this board have any theories on why so many goals were conceded?

bucko

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 07, 2014, 12:47:07 PM
When it comes to goals scored in this year's National League, Mayo and Tipperary were joint top scorers with 14 goals each. When it comes to goals conceded, the worst defence in the country was Mayo who conceded 14 goals, an average of 2 per game.. Do any of the Mayo supporters on this board have any theories on why so many goals were conceded?
I would speculate that it would appear we have been the slowest to adapt to the black card. Last year, our defence was being regarded as one of the best in the country, I think our concession rate was pretty low. Our defence last year was based on pressing higher up the the field, with an emphasis on 2-3 players closing down the opposition ball carrier and turning over the ball. I would guess that with the black card our guys are standing off the opposition more than they would've done, which means the opposition are getting into our 40 more often and getting more chances. The black card has had an impact, the score lines across this years leagues reflect that. Why we seem to be more affected than others, as I said the above is only my opinion.

Shrewdness

Bucko, that was why i asked the question re the goals conceded, because i knew that Mayo were solid defensively last year. Was wondering about conceding so many in the league. Mind you, someone made a point elsewhere that Vaughan wasn't doing much defending in his own position. Don't know if that's accurate or not. Does anyone know how many black cards Mayo defenders received in the league?

moysider

macdanger2

Confirmed for 1400 next Sunday.

Hard to see past a resounding win for Derry

moysider

Farrandeelin

It's easy to see why. They've set the league alight this year. Mayo are there, huffing and puffing our way through our games letting in too many goals. As blast said Andy Moran while getting on a lot of ball seemed to be really slow when releasing it. However, we were without our four 'star' players in Gibbons, AOS, McLoughlin, and Keegan for the game so I'm not as pessimistic as usual. Will COC be ok again I wonder? Any updates on his injury?

I thought that Caff struggled in the second half when his man (forget his name off hand) won too much ball. Cunniffe and Keane did well though for the most part. I hope we can win it, but them games where shadow boxing have gone on a week or two before could lead to complacency. I doubt Horan will allow this to happen though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 07, 2014, 04:06:04 PM
It's easy to see why. They've set the league alight this year. Mayo are there, huffing and puffing our way through our games letting in too many goals. As blast said Andy Moran while getting on a lot of ball seemed to be really slow when releasing it. However, we were without our four 'star' players in Gibbons, AOS, McLoughlin, and Keegan for the game so I'm not as pessimistic as usual. Will COC be ok again I wonder? Any updates on his injury?

I thought that Caff struggled in the second half when his man (forget his name off hand) won too much ball. Cunniffe and Keane did well though for the most part. I hope we can win it, but them games where shadow boxing have gone on a week or two before could lead to complacency. I doubt Horan will allow this to happen though.

Cillian's injury was a 'muscle spasm' according to Horan and he expects him to be fine for Sunday.
He didn't seem to be in too much discomfort walking off the pitch (the long way around!), so hopefully will be fine.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 02:12:17 PM

Off the top of my head Boyle v Dublin the only one?

Aidan O'se v Kildare as well.

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 07, 2014, 02:45:19 PM

Ah, I don't know. The league is a strange animal and Derry are still not recognised as being among the stronger counties (yet!). With us it it is hard to know what direction we are going in. I fear that burn out and championship fatigue could set in this summer.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on April 07, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 07, 2014, 02:45:19 PM

Why so pessimistic?

No forwards, chokers, any cliche you'd find in a Eugene mcgee article  ;)