Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on April 18, 2014, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2014, 12:55:07 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 18, 2014, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2014, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 17, 2014, 09:54:59 PM
Theres a school of thought that Sky could write a deal this time to see levels of  interest on this new product.  Depending on levels of interest they can write two big  cheques three years down the line money beyond levels yet put into the gaa. Cheques go direct to GPA and GAA with the GPA becoming a very wealthy agency organisation and ultimately the players sharing in the spoils contracted to this group.
Pay for play is only 3 years away if sky want it to happen.  Gaelic football has incredible potential at home and abroad on tv not necessarily the gaa as an amateur organisation.   Try to think for one minute how that could possibly be stopped now if sky wanted it to happen and wanted to control their new product. Perhaps the cleaning up of the games is also important here.
County could be going pro and we cant do a thing about it.

That's the school of thought of the "End of the GAA as we know it" Brigade.
Frst it was the Ban, then the British Security forces/PSNI, then Croke Park having soccer /rubby, now it's the Sky showing 20 matches.
Paranoid nonsense as usual.

Funny how you quote cleaning up the game.

The GAA wants to go Global yet players in Donegal can't play a club game.

The GAA hierachy couldn't run a bath
The oul hierarchy haven't done too bad at all over the last 130 years ;)
The Donegal story is a decision of the Co Board in that County.

And as I'm always keen to remind people, that as a county board is a a representation of the clubs, this makes it a decision by the clubs.

If the clubs genuinely want to restore the balance in Donegal, it'll be easily enough done. But I'd imagine that after a couple of dry seasons for the county team, panic buttons would be pressed and the balance would swing the other way again.

----

Some absolutely mad stuff above about Sky being able to turn the game professional within 3 years.

People need to take a step back and realise that the GPA is only an equivalent to football's PFA. They might have an opinion, and might even have a very loud voice.  But they don't physically own or control a single piece of the GAA infrastructure. They can't break away as they'd have no place to go. Professionalism needs teams and fanbases, and rather importantly it needs stadiums.

Sky are utterly brilliant at marketing a product. But creating a product from scratch? Not possible.

I don't disagree with any of that but its now easier to view GAA matches abroad then at home.

PR its been a disaster by the GAA hierachy- it appears that the issues at home aren't as pressing as they are abroad.

Zulu

It's easier in Australia, if you discount getting up at the crack of dawn to view games, it isn't easier in Britain, America or Europe, the rest of the world basically.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 18, 2014, 05:02:39 PM
It's easier in Australia, if you discount getting up at the crack of dawn to view games, it isn't easier in Britain, America or Europe, the rest of the world basically.

Oh c'mon. It's called DVR. Hell, it was called VHS 30 years ago. If time is a problem, timeshift.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2014, 05:04:07 PM

. If time is a problem, [b]timeshift.

????
Warp 7? Or just warped?? ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2014, 05:22:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 18, 2014, 05:04:07 PM

. If time is a problem, [b]timeshift.

????
Warp 7? Or just warped?? ::)

QuoteTime shifting is the recording of programming to a storage medium to be viewed or listened to at a time more convenient to the consumer. Typically, this refers to TV programming but can also refer to radio shows via podcasts.

In recent years, the advent of the digital video recorder (DVR) has made time shifting easier, by using an electronic program guide (EPG) and recording shows onto a hard disk. Some DVRs have other possible time shifting methods, such as being able to start watching the recorded show from the beginning even if the recording is not yet complete. In the past, time shifting was done with a video cassette recorder (VCR) and its timer function, in which the VCR tunes into the appropriate station and records the show onto video tape.

Freesat+, Freeview+, Sky+, V+, TiVo, YouView and BT Vision services in Ireland and the UK allow one to timeshift. TiVo, DirecTV, and other US cable or satellite subscription services offer PVR set-top boxes, often for an additional monthly fee. DStv, based in South Africa, offers PVR set-top boxes to countries across Africa which allow time shifting of live and recorded television.

In cable television broadcasting, time shifting may also refer to the availability of network affiliates from different time zones, serving a similar function of making television programs available at multiple times throughout the day.

Certain broadcasters transmit timeshifted versions of their channels, usually one hour in the future, to enable those without recording abilities to resolve conflicts and those with recording abilities more flexibility in scheduling conflicting recordings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_shifting

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on April 18, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
I think his comments are systematic of an attitude that exists among a certain amount of county footballers or something they view they are entitled to.

Nobody forces any of these guys to play county football.Anytime they aren't happy with their terms and conditions they can walk away at any point.

Which comment in particular is a problem for you?
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 05:42:55 PM
I think his comments are systematic of an attitude that exists among a certain amount of county footballers or something they view they are entitled to.

Nobody forces any of these guys to play county football.Anytime they aren't happy with their terms and conditions they can walk away at any point.

Specifically?

- saying that the county structure has to change. that's not his decision to make or judge on behalf of the organisation.

- That counties want to amalgamate. I haven't read anything anywhere that suggests that.

- Same old chestnut players are only ones who don't get paid on match- day. News flash Aidan players before you didn't get paid either.

Badly thought out and uninformative in my opinion.

Locality and the county boundaries are the bedrock the association is built on.

Once that changes then  everything does.

easytiger95

Although I don't agree with his opinion (vehemently) surely he is entitled to give it? AFAIK his original comments were on his Twitter feed (I'll stand to be corrected on this), and if that is the case, then you don't have to follow him. And if the newspapers want to pick up on it, that's their editorial decision to print and the consumer's decision to buy it and read it.

I don't think playing county gives his opinions more weight than the ordinary member - but it surely doesn't give them less?

INDIANA

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 18, 2014, 07:27:03 PM
Although I don't agree with his opinion (vehemently) surely he is entitled to give it? AFAIK his original comments were on his Twitter feed (I'll stand to be corrected on this), and if that is the case, then you don't have to follow him. And if the newspapers want to pick up on it, that's their editorial decision to print and the consumer's decision to buy it and read it.

I don't think playing county gives his opinions more weight than the ordinary member - but it surely doesn't give them less?

He's perfectly entitled to his opinions- he doesn't need to pass them off as being facts when I've read nothing to suggest that players want the county boundaries to change or that its inevitable that the Association is going down this bloody franchise model that certain county players seem to be hankering after.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: INDIANA on April 18, 2014, 05:00:10 PM

I don't disagree with any of that but its now easier to view GAA matches abroad then at home.

Only in Australia.

PR its been a disaster by the GAA hierachy- it appears that the issues at home aren't as pressing as they are abroad.

There are pressing issues in Ireland, there are pressing issues outside of Ireland. Previously the problems outside of Ireland weren't being addressed, now they are. Paraic Duffy has repeatedly made the point about the need for better coverage abroad, but it's hardly his fault if the Irish media consistently ignores this.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on April 18, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 05:42:55 PM

Specifically?

- saying that the county structure has to change. that's not his decision to make or judge on behalf of the organisation.

- That counties want to amalgamate. I haven't read anything anywhere that suggests that.

- Same old chestnut players are only ones who don't get paid on match- day. News flash Aidan players before you didn't get paid either.

Badly thought out and uninformative in my opinion.

Locality and the county boundaries are the bedrock the association is built on.

Once that changes then  everything does.

He didn't say 'that the county structure has to change'. He said he envisaged a time where smaller counties will be forced to amalgamate'. Do you understand the meaning of the word 'envisage'?

He didn't say 'That counties want to amalgamate'. See above.

He didn't say 'Same old chestnut players are only ones who don't get paid on match- day.' This is what the article says: "He also noted that association coffers will swell with little filtering to the most important contributors: the players."

He was mainly talking about competitiveness of counties and looking into the future. Your faux outrage in declaring him 'An embarrassement to himself and to Mayo football after those comments' is ridiculous.

MWWSI 2017

our_fella

Can anyone tell me, if any American stations are partnered/work with Sky??

Going to be in the states for a few months, and i see Sky are showing Armagh/Cavan v Down/Tyrone/Monaghan in the Ulster SFC.

Be great if I could watch it somewhere proper, than having to stream it on the laptop

Cheers

yellowcard

Niall Quinn now tipped to get the presenters role on this programme. Brolly will have a field day!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/skyrsquos-the-limit-for-quinn-267743.html

johnneycool

Ach sure, he's a former Dublin minor and no stranger to Thurles for the big hurling days with his Enfer jersey on him, not sure if hes got the Skoda one yet!

AZOffaly

Not surprised. Niall has a grĂ¡ for the games, and would be a good 'face' for the English public to recognise. I expect Seamus Coleman and Shane Long to make a guest appearance or two as well.

Niall played for Dublin minor hurlers remember, and was playing junior football in Kildare recently enough too.