PSNI up to old RUC Knavery........................Again.

Started by stew, March 11, 2014, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=211896

QuoteA young man has been fined £85 by the PSNI for hurling in a Belfast street.

Twenty-year-old Thomas Thibodeau was enjoying a puck-about with a friend on Jerusalem Street on Wednesday evening when two PSNI officers intervened and issued him with a fixed penalty notice for disorderly behaviour.

Antrim County Board chairman Jim Murray says the incident is reminiscent of the "dark days" in Northern Ireland: "I thought those days had gone," he states in The Irish News. "It's something we will be taking up ourselves and we will be arranging a meeting with the PSNI. It's not on and is taking us back to the dark days."

A PSNI spokesman explained how hurling can be construed as disorderly behaviour: "It is the manner in which the equipment is being used or the associated behaviour and risk that this may pose to others, i.e. anti-social behaviour and criminal damage."

Sinn Fein's Pat Sheehan has called for discrimination against Irish games to be stamped out immediately: "At best, there seems to be a degree of ignorance when it comes to the PSNI's attitude to gaelic games. At worst, this behaviour is a throwback to an attitude which treated all things Irish as alien."

orangeman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2014, 03:08:28 PM

QuoteA young man has been fined £85 by the PSNI for hurling in a Belfast street.

Twenty-year-old Thomas Thibodeau was enjoying a puck-about with a friend on Jerusalem Street on Wednesday evening when two PSNI officers intervened and issued him with a fixed penalty notice for disorderly behaviour.

Antrim County Board chairman Jim Murray says the incident is reminiscent of the "dark days" in Northern Ireland: "I thought those days had gone," he states in The Irish News. "It's something we will be taking up ourselves and we will be arranging a meeting with the PSNI. It's not on and is taking us back to the dark days."

A PSNI spokesman explained how hurling can be construed as disorderly behaviour: "It is the manner in which the equipment is being used or the associated behaviour and risk that this may pose to others, i.e. anti-social behaviour and criminal damage."

Sinn Fein's Pat Sheehan has called for discrimination against Irish games to be stamped out immediately: "At best, there seems to be a degree of ignorance when it comes to the PSNI's attitude to gaelic games. At worst, this behaviour is a throwback to an attitude which treated all things Irish as alien."

Did this go to court ??

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on March 14, 2014, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 14, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2014, 03:08:28 PM

Did this go to court ??
I hope not. Jim Murray has been in court more times this year than Andy Murray FFS.

Jim didn't do anything this time.

stew

In the history of the six has there ever been a ticket been handed out for kids playing cricket in the street?

I dont mind if they do this, I just want the psni to be consistent across the board, when they are not that is troubling to me, I hope they have to answer for this in court to get rid of the issue!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

EC Unique

In fairness playing hurling in a street packed with parked cars is not on.

orangeman

Let's see Ulster GAA make a stand here and make a statement on this subject, not the specific incident. If you can play football, American football and other games in the street, then pucking a ball shouldn't be unique.

I'm waiting GAA - let's hear ya.

give her dixie

Dont hold your breath for the GAA to do anything seeing as the Ulster chief sits on the policing board !!
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

LeoMc

orangeman

Quote from: give her dixie on March 14, 2014, 09:34:47 PM
Dont hold your breath for the GAA to do anything seeing as the Ulster chief sits on the policing board !!

That wouldn't preclude them from coming out and making a statement.

Myles Na G.

Jerusalem Street = built up area.
Evening = either means early evening, when other students were trying to do a bit of work and were getting pissed off at hurlers in the street making a lot of noise, or:
Evening = pissed up students hurling in the street late into the night.

Were they tasered? Shot with plastic batons? Beaten up and thrown in the back of a landrover?

Nope, they got a ticket. Like, for driving in a bus lane.

Jesus wept.

Tony Baloney

The chap in the Holylands should have been booted in the balls instead of fined.

orangeman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 14, 2014, 11:04:38 PM
Jerusalem Street = built up area.
Evening = either means early evening, when other students were trying to do a bit of work and were getting pissed off at hurlers in the street making a lot of noise, or:
Evening = pissed up students hurling in the street late into the night.

Were they tasered? Shot with plastic batons? Beaten up and thrown in the back of a landrover?

Nope, they got a ticket. Like, for driving in a bus lane.

Jesus wept.

Can't see that being the case.

give her dixie

From the NYC ST. Patrick Day Committee - "Recently, at the request of the Counsel General of Ireland, the NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade Committee extended an invitation to six members of the PSNI to march in the 2014 NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade. The contingent planned to march side by side with the An Garda Síochána as a symbol of solidarity. However, many of our loyal supporters and parade participants passionately advocated against the PSNI's participation.

The people of New York City have supported our parade for many generations. While the decision to invite the PSNI was made in an effort to foster peace, we must stand behind those who help make our parade the greatest in the world. Therefore we have rescinded the invitation and the PSNI will not march in the New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Maguire01

Quote from: give her dixie on March 15, 2014, 01:37:26 AM
From the NYC ST. Patrick Day Committee - "Recently, at the request of the Counsel General of Ireland, the NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade Committee extended an invitation to six members of the PSNI to march in the 2014 NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade. The contingent planned to march side by side with the An Garda Síochána as a symbol of solidarity. However, many of our loyal supporters and parade participants passionately advocated against the PSNI's participation.

The people of New York City have supported our parade for many generations. While the decision to invite the PSNI was made in an effort to foster peace, we must stand behind those who help make our parade the greatest in the world. Therefore we have rescinded the invitation and the PSNI will not march in the New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
I hope all Irish politicians withdraw their support for this parade. Are these the same Americans that fund some of our political parties?

EC Unique