PSNI up to old RUC Knavery........................Again.

Started by stew, March 11, 2014, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 15, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on March 15, 2014, 01:37:26 AM
From the NYC ST. Patrick Day Committee - "Recently, at the request of the Counsel General of Ireland, the NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade Committee extended an invitation to six members of the PSNI to march in the 2014 NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade. The contingent planned to march side by side with the An Garda Síochána as a symbol of solidarity. However, many of our loyal supporters and parade participants passionately advocated against the PSNI's participation.

The people of New York City have supported our parade for many generations. While the decision to invite the PSNI was made in an effort to foster peace, we must stand behind those who help make our parade the greatest in the world. Therefore we have rescinded the invitation and the PSNI will not march in the New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
I hope all Irish politicians withdraw their support for this parade. Are these the same Americans that fund some of our political parties?
+1.Would like to see the Garda pull out in a show of solidarity.

theticklemister

f**k the PR shite. Th PSNI are protecting the link with Britain and do nothing to promote independence.Not all people are getting hood-winked by this love-in with the PSNI.

Feeney will not issue a statment about the recent hurling events in Belfast as giveherdixie stated he is trying to paddle two canoes.

deiseach

Quote from: orangeman on March 14, 2014, 11:57:13 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 14, 2014, 11:04:38 PM
Jerusalem Street = built up area.
Evening = either means early evening, when other students were trying to do a bit of work and were getting pissed off at hurlers in the street making a lot of noise, or:
Evening = pissed up students hurling in the street late into the night.

Were they tasered? Shot with plastic batons? Beaten up and thrown in the back of a landrover?

Nope, they got a ticket. Like, for driving in a bus lane.

Jesus wept.

Can't see that being the case.

As you say, very unlikely. If the PSNI are trying to make world safe for any students who might be studying in the vicinity, they should start by dishing out fines in college libraries. Most of them are noisier than a fleg protest.

Maguire01

Quote from: theticklemister on March 15, 2014, 08:44:30 AM
f**k the PR shite. Th PSNI are protecting the link with Britain and do nothing to promote independence.Not all people are getting hood-winked by this love-in with the PSNI.
The point is, the St Patrick's day parade should not be for the Irish Republican Nationalist Straight Catholics - if it's a celebration of all that is Irish, it should represent all colours of the country.

And not that it's relevant to this conversation, but I wouldn't expect it to be the role of any police force to promote independence.

tyroneman

Evening = either means early evening, when other students were trying to do a bit of work and were getting pissed off at hurlers in the street making a lot of noise, or:

Were they tasered? Shot with plastic batons? Beaten up and thrown in the back of a landrover?

Jesus wept.

Does everyone in the Holylands (or other built up areas) get a ticket for making noise via sports in the streets?

Did those playing soccer or American football get ticketed?

If so then sure - thePSNI were acting even handedly or am I to believe a few lads knocking a sliotar around make so much more noise than other sports in the street?

Applying a rule, dumb or otherwise, to only one group while ignoring others is at best inconsistent at worst discriminatory.

Quote.   The point is, the St Patrick's day parade should not be for the Irish Republican Nationalist Straight Catholics - if it's a celebration of all that is Irish, it should represent all colours of the country.     

Agree broadly with this. Not sure though why any group of employees, guards, PSNI or otherwise should be elevated above any other profession. If the guards get their own section do the Irish plumbers, accountants and doctors get one too?

Maguire01

Quote from: tyroneman on March 15, 2014, 08:55:22 AM
Quote.   The point is, the St Patrick's day parade should not be for the Irish Republican Nationalist Straight Catholics - if it's a celebration of all that is Irish, it should represent all colours of the country.     

Agree broadly with this. Not sure though why any group of employees, guards, PSNI or otherwise should be elevated above any other profession. If the guards get their own section do the Irish plumbers, accountants and doctors get one too?
I had heard that the 6 PSNI officers invited had been participants in the World Police & Fire Games.

LeoMc

Jesus wept.

Does everyone in the Holylands (or other built up areas) get a ticket for making noise via sports in the streets?

If so then sure - thePSNI were acting even handedly or am I to believe a few lads knocking a sliotar around make so much more noise than other sports in the street?

Applying a rule, dumb or otherwise, to only one group while ignoring others is at best inconsistent at worst discriminatory.

Not sure about those 2 sports but if some wee sportsman was driving a few titleist down my street with a 4 iron I would hope the PSNI would put a stop to it without worrying about the R&A coming out and condemning them. Similarly if he had been launching 6's out over parked cars and near peoples windows I would like to think they would have acted.

A soccer ball has a lot less potential to do damage.

orangeman

Quote from: LeoMc on March 15, 2014, 09:55:06 AM

Jesus wept.

Not sure about those 2 sports but if some wee sportsman was driving a few titleist down my street with a 4 iron I would hope the PSNI would put a stop to it without worrying about the R&A coming out and condemning them. Similarly if he had been launching 6's out over parked cars and near peoples windows I would like to think they would have acted.

[/b]

I've seen panes of glass broken with a soccer ball before.

Time for the Ulster Gaa to call the cops out on this incident.

But we all know that this is not going to happen. All We can hope for is that the person who got the ticket appeals the fine and that we get to hear in public what actually happened.

The crazy thing about this is that the whole landscape has changed in this country. But in 2014 young Irish men are not allowed to have a puck around in the street without the threat of being charged with disorderly behaviour.

But you can kick a soccer ball or throw an American football.

EC Unique

This is a complete nonsense. A hurling ball can do a lot more damage than a football. Hurling should definitely not be allowed on a street with cars parked. For the record I think no ball sports should be played on a busy street. People are going out of their way to get offended here and I suspect the reason the GAA will not speak out against the PSNI is because the can see sense.

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on March 15, 2014, 10:21:34 AM
This is a complete nonsense. A hurling ball can do a lot more damage than a football. Hurling should definitely not be allowed on a street with cars parked. For the record I think no ball sports should be played on a busy street. People are going out of their way to get offended here and I suspect the reason the GAA will not speak out against the PSNI is because the can see sense.

Fair enough.

So in housing estates all over the country, balls games of all types, especially hurling should be banned cos a hurling ball can cause more damage than other ball games.

And for the record here, I think you're missing the point. This lad was charged with disorderly behaviour as a result of pucking a ball around a street in Belfast.

Would a member of the Gardai EVER charge someone in Dublin, Galway, Cork with disorderly behaviour for pucking a ball around. Not in a million years.

Same shite. Different name.

give her dixie

We were promised a lot with the name change, and sadly they havn't lived up to the hype. While there have been some changes, the old guard of the RUC still rule the roost, and many many people are still suffering just like in the 70's and 80's.

We were promised transparency and accountability, and sadly that has not been the case. The role of the policing board "to keep them in check" has been a failure. Just a load of salaries for people who will maintain the status quo.

Last year the policing board rubber stamped the purchase of military Drones to patrol our sky and spy on anyone. I made a few inquiries as to where and who they bought them from. A member of the board told me that they did indeed approve the purchase and use, but they didn't bother to find out who was going to supply. I also asked if the £1 million purchase was put out to tender for the best price. Again, the member told me that they were not concerned with that particular detail.

I then sent a Freedom Of Information request to the PSNI. After several months, they replied with a lengthy statement that basically said it was none of my business who they bought them from as it was of national security not to disclose that info.

In relation to a tendering process, they had this to say:

"The purchase did not go out to tender but was awarded through a Direct Award Contract (DAC) after consultation with the Department of Finance's Central Procurement Directorate. During this process measures were taken to ensure value for money was achieved."

Now, given that Drones are used to kill and injure innocent people, the least we could have expected from the policing board was for them to have at least stipulated that some form of social responsibility was adhered to. Plus, given that Israel is the worlds leading Drone manufacturer with claims as to how they are "Field Tested", did it not occur to the members that there was a possibility that they were to be purchased from the rogue state? After all several members of the board claim to support Palestine and uphold the boycott of Israeli goods and services. No doubt this will be on election flyers that are dropping through our letterboxes.....

So much for accountability and putting manners on them as one member likes to boast. 
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Minder

The FB page that announced the PSNI wouldn't be marching has been deleted, I would say a bit of pressure has been applied.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

LeoMc

Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2014, 10:13:01 AM

Jesus wept.

[/b]

But we all know that this is not going to happen. All We can hope for is that the person who got the ticket appeals the fine and that we get to hear in public what actually happened.

The crazy thing about this is that the whole landscape has changed in this country. But in 2014 young Irish men are not allowed to have a puck around in the street without the threat of being charged with disorderly behaviour.

Would you rather get hit by a football or a sliothir (or golf ball)?

Excuse the spelling.

orangeman

Quote from: LeoMc on March 15, 2014, 11:19:39 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2014, 10:13:01 AM

Jesus wept.

[/b]

Would you rather get hit by a football or a sliothir (or golf ball)?

Excuse the spelling.

It's has sfa to do with being hit by a football or a sliothar or a rugby ball or an American football.

But an American football / rugby / soccer ball could do some damage if you got hit with it.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: give her dixie on March 15, 2014, 10:38:52 AM
We were promised a lot with the name change, and sadly they havn't lived up to the hype. While there have been some changes, the old guard of the RUC still rule the roost, and many many people are still suffering just like in the 70's and 80's.

We were promised transparency and accountability, and sadly that has not been the case. The role of the policing board "to keep them in check" has been a failure. Just a load of salaries for people who will maintain the status quo.

Last year the policing board rubber stamped the purchase of military Drones to patrol our sky and spy on anyone. I made a few inquiries as to where and who they bought them from. A member of the board told me that they did indeed approve the purchase and use, but they didn't bother to find out who was going to supply. I also asked if the £1 million purchase was put out to tender for the best price. Again, the member told me that they were not concerned with that particular detail.

I then sent a Freedom Of Information request to the PSNI. After several months, they replied with a lengthy statement that basically said it was none of my business who they bought them from as it was of national security not to disclose that info.

In relation to a tendering process, they had this to say:

"The purchase did not go out to tender but was awarded through a Direct Award Contract (DAC) after consultation with the Department of Finance's Central Procurement Directorate. During this process measures were taken to ensure value for money was achieved."

Now, given that Drones are used to kill and injure innocent people, the least we could have expected from the policing board was for them to have at least stipulated that some form of social responsibility was adhered to. Plus, given that Israel is the worlds leading Drone manufacturer with claims as to how they are "Field Tested", did it not occur to the members that there was a possibility that they were to be purchased from the rogue state? After all several members of the board claim to support Palestine and uphold the boycott of Israeli goods and services. No doubt this will be on election flyers that are dropping through our letterboxes.....

So much for accountability and putting manners on them as one member likes to boast.
That's class. You've managed to turn a mopery-fest about grown men being stopped from playing a field sport in a built up area, into an enquiry into the purchase of Israeli made drones. Hats off to you, sir. You're a different calibre of poster altogether!