Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2026, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 27, 2026, 10:42:27 PMI see  U2  copied the B Sharps performing on  some roof top the other day.

U2 (and obviously, more famously, other bands) were playing on rooftops long before that episode came out.

Ah I know. I  just like  to tell myself Homer and Co did it first

quit yo jibbajabba

EVER HEAR OF THE BEATLES DICKHEAD?!?!

sorry, couldn't help it

AustinPowers

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 28, 2026, 11:42:43 AMEVER HEAR OF THE BEATLES DICKHEAD?!?!

sorry, couldn't help it

Who?

Never heard of Oasis or  Harry Potter either.

Baile Brigín 2


Shamrock Shore

Rats have only 3 original members left.

One died and Johnny Fingers and the other chap disappeared away from Bob, as they couldnt stand him anymore.

Fingers was last heard of in Japan.

Pete Briquette still the coolest man ever to come out of Ballyjamesduff.
Baytes Paddy Reilly, wherever he fecked off to long 'go.

Ronnie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 28, 2026, 12:56:36 AMOperates a commercial enterprise, pays the taxes in the countries where they are due.

Also has a philanthropic arm to put the money to some productive use.

Married an ordinary girl he knew since he was a youngster, instead of marrying a string of celebrity trophy young-enough-to-be-his-granddaughter wives for five-year marriages.

Kept on producing new work, for better or worse, for decades instead of sitting on their laurels like some artists do.

I'm not sure if I ever understood what the hatred is apart from the usual Irish begrudgery.

I'd agree with this.  And, as with the law of diminishingly returns, maybe not as successful as they were, but they still are capable of producing the odd classic.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Ronnie on September 28, 2026, 08:50:37 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 28, 2026, 12:56:36 AMOperates a commercial enterprise, pays the taxes in the countries where they are due.

Also has a philanthropic arm to put the money to some productive use.

Married an ordinary girl he knew since he was a youngster, instead of marrying a string of celebrity trophy young-enough-to-be-his-granddaughter wives for five-year marriages.

Kept on producing new work, for better or worse, for decades instead of sitting on their laurels like some artists do.

I'm not sure if I ever understood what the hatred is apart from the usual Irish begrudgery.

I'd agree with this.  And, as with the law of diminishingly returns, maybe not as successful as they were, but they still are capable of producing the odd classic.

What was the last classic, in your opinion?

Must be 25 years  since I heard one

Ronnie

Quote from: AustinPowers on September 28, 2026, 09:39:04 PM
Quote from: Ronnie on September 28, 2026, 08:50:37 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 28, 2026, 12:56:36 AMOperates a commercial enterprise, pays the taxes in the countries where they are due.

Also has a philanthropic arm to put the money to some productive use.

Married an ordinary girl he knew since he was a youngster, instead of marrying a string of celebrity trophy young-enough-to-be-his-granddaughter wives for five-year marriages.

Kept on producing new work, for better or worse, for decades instead of sitting on their laurels like some artists do.

I'm not sure if I ever understood what the hatred is apart from the usual Irish begrudgery.

I'd agree with this.  And, as with the law of diminishingly returns, maybe not as successful as they were, but they still are capable of producing the odd classic.

What was the last classic, in your opinion?

Must be 25 years  since I heard one

Every Breaking Wave

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 28, 2026, 12:56:36 AMOperates a commercial enterprise, pays the taxes in the countries where they are due.

Also has a philanthropic arm to put the money to some productive use.

Married an ordinary girl he knew since he was a youngster, instead of marrying a string of celebrity trophy young-enough-to-be-his-granddaughter wives for five-year marriages.

Kept on producing new work, for better or worse, for decades instead of sitting on their laurels like some artists do.

I'm not sure if I ever understood what the hatred is apart from the usual Irish begrudgery.

Moved that commercial enterprise to the Netherlands to save a tiny amount of tax.

Then complained, in 200andfucking8, that the Government weren't spending enough money.

Raided the pension of Forbes magazine.

Hacked every ipod to upload malware without users permission.




Eamonnca1

The four lads pay their individual taxes in Ireland. U2 is a commercial enterprise. They were well within their rights to move the tax base to Holland after the Irish government capped the artist tax exemption at €250,000 since U2 make a lot more than that. The Rolling Stones also file their taxes in Holland. Other artists that have done so include ABBA, AC/DC, Metallica, Eurythmics, David Bowie, Julio Iglesias, Robert Palmer, and Plácido Domingo.

In the 2000s, the UN had set a target of 0.8% of GNP for governments to spend on foreign aid. The Irish government was falling short of this.

Bono/U2 did not "raid the pension fund of Forbes magazine." Elevation Partners, a private equity firm co-founded by Bono, took a minority stake in Forbes. Afterwards, the magazine's management froze the plan by stopping future benefits from accruing, but preserved the benefits already earned. Forbes was a print magazine, a sector that has struggled a lot in the digital age. Restructuring pensions like that is standard cost-cutting practice and is not an illegal pension "raid."

As for "malware," I don't think that word means what you think it means. Giving away free music is many things but it's not "malware."