Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on August 07, 2026, 10:34:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2026, 02:47:03 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 07, 2026, 10:02:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2026, 08:48:07 AMU2 were and will always be looked at as a Maga band, and for them to come from Ireland is something to celebrate

What individuals say or don't say from said band is different, there isn't a band/group or soloist that doesn't have 'bad press' or snobbery about it

Christy Moore is said to be a dour fecker along the lines of Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor had her moments and I'm sure there are hundreds of other great Irish artists that fall foul of the general public as was the case of the one that died in the bike crash recently

But yeah, begrudgery holds a special place in Ireland  ;D 

Bono waited less than 24 hours to pontificate and moralise to the world about October 7th. He waited around three years to open his mouth about the ensuing genocide.

Chirsty Moore allegedly being a bit dour isn't much of a parallel.

I wasn't tying to make parallels, apologies,  just pointing out how we are a bunch of begrudging cnuts  ;D

Speak for yourself and for your kind of cnuts. 

Ok, I'll check in with you on that going forward, as you matter most in my thoughts...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought.

AustinPowers

https://www.irishnews.com/entertainment/u2s-first-album-in-nine-years-promises-carnival-of-light-and-duet-with-the-late-dolly-parton-FMLDTY4YUJHRPGGPEPYDWG6TKQ/

U2 have a new album. First  one in 9 years apparently

I just realised I haven't listened to any U2 album since the  Beautiful day one. The airport  cover. Can't recall the name

Are they even   relevant anymore?

Baile Brigín 2

Of course they are.

The difference between them and the Stones or AC/DC is they stopped doing megatours. Maybe because demand fell. Maybe semi retirement.

I remain surprised they didn't do a 50th anniversary tour though.


thewobbler

Considering how much we Irish love to celebrate - even worship - our countrymen and women who gain a smidgen of global recognition, there has to be a story worth investigating with regards to U2's slow descent into the national unconsciousness.

Somewhere over the past decade we all collectively - and without any campaigns, without any trigger points, scandal or incident - decided that they weren't worth the effort anymore.




quit yo jibbajabba

To be succinct I think all that needs to be said is that most of us realised Bono turned into an arsehole. Or always was, depending on when you became enlightened.

Investigation closed

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2026, 02:08:13 PMConsidering how much we Irish love to celebrate - even worship - our countrymen and women who gain a smidgen of global recognition, there has to be a story worth investigating with regards to U2's slow descent into the national unconsciousness.

Somewhere over the past decade we all collectively - and without any campaigns, without any trigger points, scandal or incident - decided that they weren't worth the effort anymore.




I think more semi retirement than a falling out.

Yes Bono became insufferable, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't do Slane or a couple of Croke Parks still.

Brendan

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 27, 2026, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2026, 02:08:13 PMConsidering how much we Irish love to celebrate - even worship - our countrymen and women who gain a smidgen of global recognition, there has to be a story worth investigating with regards to U2's slow descent into the national unconsciousness.

Somewhere over the past decade we all collectively - and without any campaigns, without any trigger points, scandal or incident - decided that they weren't worth the effort anymore.




I think more semi retirement than a falling out.

Yes Bono became insufferable, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't do Slane or a couple of Croke Parks still.

Dont be giving them ideas

DaleCooper

Bono has been training an AI system and working with Unitree Robotics to create a post life BonoBot to keep us all entertained for many centuries to come.


AustinPowers

I see  U2  copied the B Sharps performing on  some roof top the other day.

From the Bunker

U2 were for Ireland like The Beatles were for England in breaking the US market.

A fair achievement.

For the Irish - Bono's ego has been often hard to square coupled with his "Save the World" malarkey, his mingling with dodgy types and his accounting decisions.

Longevity has been their biggest achievement.

Wildweasel74

Them and the Boomtown Rats must been on the go around the same time.

Eamonnca1

Operates a commercial enterprise, pays the taxes in the countries where they are due.

Also has a philanthropic arm to put the money to some productive use.

Married an ordinary girl he knew since he was a youngster, instead of marrying a string of celebrity trophy young-enough-to-be-his-granddaughter wives for five-year marriages.

Kept on producing new work, for better or worse, for decades instead of sitting on their laurels like some artists do.

I'm not sure if I ever understood what the hatred is apart from the usual Irish begrudgery.