Tír Eoghain v Iarmhí, D1R514, Omagh, Sunday 16th March @ 2pm.

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 10, 2014, 10:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Good win and helps our score difference big time after the debacle last week. Next up Cork away. They appear to be suffering a bit of a tanking down in Castlebar.

rrhf

Plus points were Coney and  mcaliskey and our forwards  minus points were our defense and midfield struggles. I'm fearful

ONeill

These next 2 games will show whether Killarney was a freak game or not. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on March 16, 2014, 10:12:12 PM

Killarney was a freak.

Kerry aren't a 15 point better team than Tyrone and vice versa.

ONeill

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2014, 10:14:00 PM

Killarney was a freak.

I understand that but I mean whether we have a side prone to capitulation. Mayo'13 Dublin'12.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on March 16, 2014, 10:15:59 PM

Killarney was a freak.

I understand that but I mean whether we have a side prone to capitulation. Mayo'13 Dublin'12.

Capitulation in the league ala Killarney is no problem.

Capitulation in the championship is a different matter altogether and Tyrone haven't had very many of those - maybe Dubin '11, Kerry in Killarney '12.

I wouldn't have described Mayo '13 in those terms.

ONeill

Mayo last year

7-3 up on 32 mins

18-10 down on 60 mins.

15-3 in half an hour.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on March 16, 2014, 10:26:35 PM
Mayo last year

7-3 up on 32 mins

18-10 down on 60 mins.

15-3 in half an hour.

Serious slice of bad luck visited Tyrone in that period but I do take your point.

However I wouldn't concede that they capitulated.  Lot of variables went into that end result.

Redhand Santa

Much improved second half yesterday. If we can get everyone fit and the team lined out right there is still the possibility of a very strong team. It's going to be interesting to see the half forward line come championship. Mcguigan can take too much out of the ball but thought had a decent game yesterday. If he keeps learning could well be 11 in the first round of the championship.

The midfield area was much better in the second half. I was disappointed by grugans input to it in the first half and Donnelly picked up more ball in the second half. For a change we're not being out caught too much in midfield these days and colm cavanagh caught a number of balls. In the first half we struggled to win break ball on our own kickouts. We seemed to kick to an isolated man up against 3 Westmeath players which is crazy. I think we're trying to hit a man in space but it isn't working. We attacked Westmeath kickouts much better than our own.

Harte had a good game again yesterday at wing half back and picked lot of ball at kickouts in the first half. Didn't notice too much of McKenna and thought he did ok. Mcnamee had won the first few balls before getting injured so hope he's fit tot get another go at full back in 2 weeks time. Mattie d did well a centre half and is a good option there, though if joe and gormley fit he may wish to free him up as a ball winning full forward.

Some lovely scores by tyrone yesterday. Morgan hit one monster free kick. Couple of lovely goals and great points by coney and Mcaliskey. If coney would use his size a bit more he could be a very good forward. At the minute I think it's Mcaliskey v ronan oneill for left corner forward and coney v mccurry for right corner forward. As of now mccurry and Mcaliskey probably slightly ahead. Mcaliskey just needs to add a bit more composure to his play at times.

Very important now to deliver a performance down in cork now and get Killarney totally out of the system. Would set up a great last day in Omagh versus the dubs.

Mikhailov

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2014, 10:19:18 PM

Killarney was a freak.

Capitulation in the championship is a different matter altogether and Tyrone haven't had very many of those - maybe Dubin '11, Kerry in Killarney '12.

A team of Tyrones stature shouldn't be having any, never mind many as you say. Add in Cork 09 and Dublin 10 to the scenario as well. Any capitulation in C'ship will result in defeat so even 1 per year is more than enough and shouldn't happen to a team of Tyrone quality. However, this is a new team and they can develop their own strong mindset in the weeks ahead as these are 2 tough games coming up and we will learn a lot more individually and collectively by the end of the NFL. The McKenna cup was a false dawn, running up big scores against teams who wont be in contention come summer time gave us a false sense of where we were at especially considering the new rules. Other teams have adapted to the rules but still remain tight at the back whereas we have gone all gung-ho in attack and left the door open at the back, however yesterday showed a marked improvement in the defensive side of things and hopefully this will continue. We have good young players who will need time to find their feet when playing the big teams and we must allow them time - until summer ;)

orangeman

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 17, 2014, 10:02:30 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2014, 10:19:18 PM

Killarney was a freak.

A team of Tyrones stature shouldn't be having any, never mind many as you say. Add in Cork 09 and Dublin 10 to the scenario as well. Any capitulation in C'ship will result in defeat so even 1 per year is more than enough and shouldn't happen to a team of Tyrone quality. However, this is a new team and they can develop their own strong mindset in the weeks ahead as these are 2 tough games coming up and we will learn a lot more individually and collectively by the end of the NFL. The McKenna cup was a false dawn, running up big scores against teams who wont be in contention come summer time gave us a false sense of where we were at especially considering the new rules. Other teams have adapted to the rules but still remain tight at the back whereas we have gone all gung-ho in attack and left the door open at the back, however yesterday showed a marked improvement in the defensive side of things and hopefully this will continue. We have good young players who will need time to find their feet when playing the big teams and we must allow them time - until summer ;)

The footballing landscape in Tyrone was very different to when Mickey took over on 2003 and with the virtual deprature of the 2003-2011 teams, then of course the landscape is going to be changed again. There were a lot of boys on the 2003-11 teams that won't be easily if ever replaced.

trileacman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 17, 2014, 09:30:39 AM

Some lovely scores by tyrone yesterday. Morgan hit one monster free kick. Couple of lovely goals and great points by coney and Mcaliskey. If coney would use his size a bit more he could be a very good forward. At the minute I think it's Mcaliskey v ronan oneill for left corner forward and coney v mccurry for right corner forward. As of now mccurry and Mcaliskey probably slightly ahead. Mcaliskey just needs to add a bit more composure to his play at times.

McCurry is easily our marquee forward of the last 2 years, he'll not be replaced by Coney. If Coney makes the side it'll be ahead of mc Aliskey or at FF if Matty is to play centre back.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

I'm a fan of mccurry and he's a great score taker. But he's still young and quite light, so don't think he's a total automatic yet. He still has to produce it in big championship games. I do think that will come over the next few years and to be honest would be surprised if he didn't start this year.

trileacman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 17, 2014, 03:43:56 PM
I'm a fan of mccurry and he's a great score taker. But he's still young and quite light, so don't think he's a total automatic yet. He still has to produce it in big championship games. I do think that will come over the next few years and to be honest would be surprised if he didn't start this year.

He's older than Canavan and Gooch were when they were tossing teams and he's of no lighter build. I'd argue he's produced it in as many big championship games as anyone in that group of McAliskey, Coney, Donnelly and RON. McAliskey may certainly come good and has undoubted quality but at the moment I'd rate McCurry a clear level or two above the rest of our forwards.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

Quote from: trileacman on March 17, 2014, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 17, 2014, 03:43:56 PM

He's older than Canavan and Gooch were when they were tossing teams and he's of no lighter build. I'd argue he's produced it in as many big championship games as anyone in that group of McAliskey, Coney, Donnelly and RON.

Your talking about 2 of the finest footballers ever there. As I've said I'm a fan of mccurry and think he probably will start but at this stage I certainly wouldn't be comparing him with with canavan and cooper. All 4 players above still have to really produce it in big championship games and until they do there will be some doubts.