Ciarraí v Tír Eoghain, D1R414, Killarney, Sunday 9th March @ 2pm.

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 03, 2014, 03:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good shout indeed tyroneman, and happy enough with that starting 15, with 3 changes in defence from the Kildare game (1 x FB & 2 x HBs). Bring it on! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

kickingmule

Harte continues to ignore the glaring problem in the half back line,
Yet Tony Donnelly concedes ... The middle third  is  winning no dirty ball and
Offering no cover to a overworked fbl.

tyroneman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 06, 2014, 09:16:11 PM
Good shout indeed tyroneman, and happy enough with that starting 15, with 3 changes in defence from the Kildare game (1 x FB & 2 x HBs). Bring it on! :)

Happy enough with that line up all right and I'd say yr happy alright with the SB representation there Fear  ;)

Still not sure why McNeice gets a start though. Has yet to impress in any senior game I've seen but he's young and there's no place like the kingdom to come good in....

I'm also not sure why Ricey gave Kerry so much ammunition with all this last chance saloon stuff on the eve of the game. Is there no cute hoorism in Tyrone at all?..

sam03/05

I have never seen McNeice do anything to even warrant a place in the squad, never mind a starting place over the likes of McAliskey.

redcard

Quote from: sam03/05 on March 06, 2014, 10:40:16 PM
I have never seen McNeice do anything to even warrant a place in the squad, never mind a starting place over the likes of McAliskey.

Mckenna cup final

tyroneboi

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2014, 09:03:59 PM
Not a bad team and interesting Mickey continues to chop and change. I'm looking forward to seeing a few of these new lads in the flesh. Was this the same ground McCurry made his championship debut?
Glad to see PJ back in the team and wonder will Clarke not look so exposed this week?

Nope he made his debut the previous week from the bench against Roscommon.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: EC Unique on March 05, 2014, 11:45:06 AM

That is what I thought. He also has lost his killer scoring instinct. There might be a 'Dooher' role for him to get some break/dirty ball around midfield.

Did Penrose ever have a "killer scoring instinct" at county level? When played in a traditional attacking role for Tyrone he invariably managed a few good scores now and then, but all too often lacked the crucial bit of composure that marks out really class players. In my opinion he was always better a bit further back the field where his workrate could be put to use. A good player and a fine servant on previous teams and may well be a handy sub but the current Tyrone team need better starting options if they are to improve on last summer.

On a similar vein I'm not sure why Peter Harte is still starting at number 6. Surely we know by now that he can destroy lesser teams from that position but that the tactic doesn't work against the top counties? I would have thought that Tyrone should have been trying to find the best way to deploy Harte's considerable talents - either at wing half back or in the half forward line surely - rather than persisting with him in a role which hasn't worked so far. I think McNeice is another rather bemusing one and I don't see how his McKenna Cup final performance showcased his ability - he missed two great goal chances in the space of a couple of minutes and that was on top of lack of composure in crucial moments against Derry in the league. Perhaps he has a role to play but I am not convinced he has earned yet another chance at this stage.

I am aware all of that sounds very negative when Mickey clearly knows much more than me and hasn't lost a game this year despite several experimental line ups. Just a little concerned that we are again fated to head into the championship with question marks over key positions, a recurring problem in recent seasons.

Redhand Santa

Peter Harte was actually moved out of centre half back before going off on Sunday so he could be switched again. I wouldn't start McNeice or McKenna but still think its probably strongest line up of the year so far.

Defence is definitely stronger than last week. I'm still not convinced by the half forward abilities to win primary ball and this is should be a large part of what they are judged on. McNabb proved v Armagh a few years ago in championship that he could win plenty of break ball in the middle, wouldn't mind seeing him get another go at half forward.

Looking forward to seeing mcguigan and oneill hopefully spray quality ball into Donnelly and mccurry. Wouldn't be surprised if pj and tierney are currently his first choice corner backs. Hoping Mcbride can prove his worth at the level too.

Fuzzman

Thought I'd watch the same game from last year here on Sky+. I remembered we lost but jeepers I forgot how crap we were. It's nearly half time and big Sean has just kicked over a free to make it 0.05 to 1.13.
Kerry must have won the last three or four meetings between the teams now.

McNeice started that day too as did both McMahons and both Cavanaghs with Mattie and Petey starting on da 40.
I hope we don't let them get off to their lightening start again and so its all about catch up again in the second half. I too am glad to see PJ return as think we've too many loose marking defenders like McCrory and even Clarke. I hope McNabb can stay injury free as he works hard to win dirty ball.
Tyrone 5.15 Kerry 4.17

sensethetone

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 06, 2014, 11:21:28 PM

That is what I thought. He also has lost his killer scoring instinct. There might be a 'Dooher' role for him to get some break/dirty ball around midfield.

Did Penrose ever have a "killer scoring instinct" at county level? When played in a traditional attacking role for Tyrone he invariably managed a few good scores now and then, but all too often lacked the crucial bit of composure that marks out really class players. In my opinion he was always better a bit further back the field where his workrate could be put to use. A good player and a fine servant on previous teams and may well be a handy sub but the current Tyrone team need better starting options if they are to improve on last summer.

On a similar vein I'm not sure why Peter Harte is still starting at number 6. Surely we know by now that he can destroy lesser teams from that position but that the tactic doesn't work against the top counties? I would have thought that Tyrone should have been trying to find the best way to deploy Harte's considerable talents - either at wing half back or in the half forward line surely - rather than persisting with him in a role which hasn't worked so far. I think McNeice is another rather bemusing one and I don't see how his McKenna Cup final performance showcased his ability - he missed two great goal chances in the space of a couple of minutes and that was on top of lack of composure in crucial moments against Derry in the league. Perhaps he has a role to play but I am not convinced he has earned yet another chance at this stage.

I am aware all of that sounds very negative when Mickey clearly knows much more than me and hasn't lost a game this year despite several experimental line ups. Just a little concerned that we are again fated to head into the championship with question marks over key positions, a recurring problem in recent seasons.

Did Penrose ever have a "killer scoring instinct" at county level?

m harte told penrose he was as valuable to tyrone as t freeman was to monaghan, he must like value him.

nrico2006

I would like to see McBride at 6 and Harte and McNabb either side of him.  Exciting team selected this week.  Still haven't seen what McKenna and McNeice have done to justify a start.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sensethetone

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2014, 08:35:58 AM
I would like to see McBride at 6 and Harte and McNabb either side of him.  Exciting team selected this week.  Still haven't seen what McKenna and McNeice have done to justify a start.
maybe tyrone have better subs because these guys are starting? lol

God14

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 06, 2014, 11:21:28 PM

Good post, id agree with all that.

There is a sense of Dejavu really about Tyrone this season. We have deep reservoir of quality footballers well capable at this level, but unfortunately we lack the stardust required to mount a serious challenge for Sam - particularly in defence. A lot of the lads on this panel are on a similar level / standard and thus there is a desire for constant changing of personnel - which prevents us developing as a settled side, building momentum & improvement.
With the guarantee of just 4 more matches before Championship, it looks like there are about 7 or 8 places in the starting 15 still up for grabs which is worrying.
Dublin, Mayo & Donegal are ahead of us for a few reasons, the main one being they know who their best 15 is.

BennyHarp

He can hardly drop a lad who kicked 1-2 from play in the last game?
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 07, 2014, 08:48:55 AM

He can hardly drop a lad who kicked 1-2 from play in the last game?

Would have been hard, but just thought he didn't do much apart from that and in all the games I have seen him play he hasn't had that big an influence. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'