Cill Dara v Tír Eoghain, D1R314, Newbridge, Sunday 2nd March @ 2pm.

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 12, 2014, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Is that cause you don't think he has it any more or because of the role he's been asked to play over the last few years. I think he was labelled one of our best tackling forwards a few years back and ever since then that has come back to haunt him as he was expected to play most of the game in his own half back line.
I think he's lost the swagger that maybe McCurry has now alright but I think a lot of Tyrone fans give him a hard time.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at who will Mickey pick (Not who you would pick) tonight?

God14

Yeah Penrose has lost that swagger as you say. Couldn't have put it better myself, and lets face it Mickey has some fantastic options in the full forward line this year. Different lads all capable of scoring heavily.
I know we always say this but tonights team selection will be particularly interesting. Harte made 12 changes from the last league game for the McKenna cup final, and most of us are at odds as to what our first 15 would be come championship.  We're into March now & I think Mickey will go into Kildare with what he see's as his strongest 15 available. Lose this game we are in a relegation struggle, win and we are well on the road to the League semi finals.

EC Unique

Penrose IMO will struggle to get a start. Plenty of options for the 6 forwards and not sure that he is good enough anymore and the style that is evident this year might not suit him.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 27, 2014, 12:27:16 AM
I haven't had a bet in years but I'd nearly come off the wagon for this, even with Tyrone at 4/6.
I mean I wouldn't be confident if we had a full side, and as it is, you could name a decent 15 of unavailable Kildare players, assuming we're not going to play any U21s because of the Offaly match on Wednesday:
                      AN Other
Ollie Lyons Peter Kelly David Hyland
John Byrne Fergal Conway Eoin Doyle
           Daniel Flynn Kevin Feely
Eamonn Callaghan Niall Kelly Emmet Bolton
Alan Smith Paddy Brophy John Doyle

To my mind that's a much stronger team than the one we'll field. OK I cheated a bit including Flynn and Feely but you get my drift.
Even if we do use the 21s, I can see only one result.

Throw in Flanagan and Morgan Flaherty instead of the two boys at midfield.

The Kildare backs are very slow and cumbersome when turned. That's a big concern considering the pace our next two opponents have in their forward lines. Ollie Lyons is a big loss.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tyroneman

Here you hope......

1 - Niall Morgan - Éadan na dTorc
2 - Aidan McCrory - Aireagal Chiaráin
3 - Conor Clarke - An Omaigh
4 - Barry Tierney - An Omaigh
5 - Ciaran McGinley - Aireagal Chiaráin
6 - Peter Harte - Aireagal Chiaráin
7 - Ryan McKenna - Eaglais
8 - Conan Grugan - An Omaigh
9 - Colm Cavanagh - An Mhaigh
10 - Emmett McKenna - Eaglais
11 - Ronan O'Neill - An Omaigh
12 - Sean Cavanagh - An Mhaigh
13 - Darren McCurry - Éadán na dTorc
14 - Mattie Donnelly - Trí Leac
15 - Connor McAliskey - Cluain Eo

16 - Michael O'Neill - Cluain Eo
17 - Dermot Carlin - Coill an Chlochair
18 - Kyle Coney - Ard Bó
19 - Mark Donnelly - An Charraig Mhór
20 - Kevin Gallagher - An Baile Nua
21 - Peter Hughes - Eiscreach
22 - Plunkett Kane - Oileán a'Ghuail
23 - Danny McBride - An Srath Ban
24 - Tiernan McCann - Coill an Chlochair
25 - Shay McGuigan - Ard Bó
26 - Niall McKenna - Domhnach Mór​

omagh_gael

LeoMc

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 27, 2014, 09:35:00 PM
Like the look of that team, hopefully RoN at 11 goes well.

Looking forward to seeing him there after the rave reviews he was getting In the Sigerson thread.
Also looking forward to se how much freedom the new rules will give Big Sean.

trileacman

That'll be a scorefest. 5 forwards who only know how to attack and two Errigal half-backs who can't really hold the middle. 2-20 a piece.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

God14

Wee Roddy

Quote from: tyroneman on February 27, 2014, 09:21:18 PM
Here you hope......

18 - Kyle Coney - Ard Bó

Very strong team for March. That is getting very near his championship team. Perhaps Mark Donnelly for McKenna, Gormley to play where? Would McBride be an option at midfield if Grugan doesn't have an influence in this one? It would be great to be strong enough in midfield to be able to play Sean Cavanagh in the half forwards.

God14

Quote from: Wee Roddy on February 28, 2014, 08:48:22 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 27, 2014, 09:21:18 PM
Here you hope......

18 - Kyle Coney - Ard Bó

Very strong team for March. That is getting very near his championship team. Perhaps Mark Donnelly for McKenna, Gormley to play where? Would McBride be an option at midfield if Grugan doesn't have an influence in this one? It would be great to be strong enough in midfield to be able to play Sean Cavanagh in the half forwards.

Grugans not a midfielder (at inter county) but a strong option in the half forwards. One of the McMahons maybe could come into Midfield once available
I wonder is Justin on the bench but left out of the 26 alphabetically?

Wee Roddy

Imagine forgetting about the McMahons. I think that the way Tyrone are set up Joe style of paly suits a defensive role only. With the new rules people who have a lot upstairs will do better as man markers than someone who has speed alone,  by trying to read where the ball is going. Its perfect for Joe in that respect although he could get turned by a nippy player. Where as Grugan is a great option at half forward he wouldn't make the team at the minute before the other options we have.

BennyHarp

I dont know much about Emmet McKenna but the rest of the forward line looks very strong. Hopefully Emmet can take the opportunity to shine.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Why do people think Grugan is not a midfielder?  He was an All Ireland winning minor midfielder and plays their for his club.  What height is he and how strong is he in the air? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Grugan reminds me a lot on Gerald Cavlan. He can play midfield of course, but I think at inter county level he would be more suited to a role in the half forward line. Whilst he is probably touching on 6' 4 and can take a nice catch I feel his strengths would be more ball playing skills.
In my opinion at 22 he would be out muscled & out fought my most hardened experienced inter county midfielders.