Future of Hurling ??

Started by Rossfan, February 12, 2014, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I don't know if the sending off was harsh but with 'hurling men' like Pat Bennett it's not surprising hurling isn't growing!!

Ballysaggart selector Pat Bennett has lambasted Wicklow referee John Keenan for sending off his son in the All-Ireland junior hurling final replay last Saturday.

He also had words for the GAA which appointed a "football referee" to look after a hurling final.

"He is a football referee by all accounts and he proved it today. I don't be critical of referees (sic), I never do, but when you're putting in a Wicklow referee that doesn't know what hurling is about then that is what you get."

Wicklow as a county has been besmirched many times and has had many crosses to bear over the years. In 130 years, they have not managed to win a single provincial title. They have given us Glenroe and Sean Fitzpatrick. And they were the only county in the country to see no action (and I mean no action at all) during the War of Independence. And now when a referee from the county comes out to referee a hurling match he is accused of knowing nothing about the sport because of where he is from.

It's fair to say that Bennett, who had to watch his club side get beaten and his son get the line was in foul humour throughout the interview. Nor was he especially complimentary towards the victors on the day, Derry side Creggan, issuing the worst libel it is possible to utter about hurlers. He called them footballers.

"We knew Creggan were going to be physical. We knew they couldn't score from long range. We said we would let them shoot from out the field and you see their wide count and it is probably double ours. That is because they are footballers. They can't score from out the field."

Their incredible, size 5 O'Neill loving ineptness with a sliotar notwithstanding, Creggan are still the All-Ireland junior hurling champions.

Premier Emperor

If the referee is a football referee, then he is right to complain.

Zulu

He doesn't know he's a football referee, just because, like most refs, he might referee both codes doesn't mean he is a football referee. We know that Pat doesn't know because he says he is a football referee 'by all accounts' so Pat is complaining without knowing. He also had a dig at the team that beat them for being footballers, well Pat not playing football in Ballysaggart has ye feck all good.

theskull1

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 17, 2014, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 14, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 12, 2014, 02:58:59 PM
A year ago Cody was crying about Padraic Maher and wanting all sorts of punishments for a foul on Michael Rice.
Now, all because the Ginger Cat got red carded and Kilkenny lost, Darth Cody wants card done away with.

Let's just do away with referees and let Cody decide what constitutes fair play!

Two incidents at totally opposite ends of the spectrum is hardly helping your argument.

Has anyone got a link to the Maher pull. I only seen it live and at the time I remember thinking it was as dirty a swing that I'd ever seen at inter county in recent memory.
You must live in a cave if you think it was that bad.
It was a clumsy one handed pull on the ball where the hurley flew up and caught Rice on the hand.

Mahers hurl caught Rice because he swung well behind the ball. He never looked like he was interested in the ball when it happened. We're talking about a top IC hurler not some Div4 club hacker, so I'm not buying the clumsy argument. In my cave we were always taught to only pull when the balls there. Good advice which I'm sure has saved many's an ankle and hand from a bad injury. 

As I said ...my memory may have dimmed, but I do remember seeing it on the big screen when I was at the game and that's what I remember. Would anyone have a link to the incident online? Prepared to be proved wrong
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Premier Emperor

Eddie Keher: Showing cards humiliates great players in front of their families

Eddie Keher makes it quite clear in his recently produced document that the brandishing of yellow and red cards has no place within the game of hurling.
Quite pointedly he claims that such cards are totally at variance with the "physicality and manliness" of the ancient game
His views was supported last week by current Kilkenny manager Brian Cody, with GAA President Liam O'Neill subsequently calling for an open debate on all aspects of the game of hurling.

Others have also rowed in, with many stating that if the game ain't broke, then don't fix it.
Keher was a revered figure on the pitch during his career with the Cats, winning a total of six All-Ireland titles. When he talks, people tend to listen!
Speaking on RTÉ Radio's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Keher outlined his frustration about what he calls the needless rituals of showing cards.

He said: "I never agreed with use of cards. They were introduced in 1970 in the soccer World Cup which was a wise decision because of the language barrier.
"It enabled referees to communicate better with the players of various countries.
"I abhor the whole ritual of showing cards to our hurlers.  It's a pompous and triumphalist exercise causing humiliation to our great players in front of their families, friends and supporters.
"It's a pompous and triumphalist exercise causing humiliation to our great players in front of their families"

"We must recognise that we have a wonderful organisation, but the greatest asset we have are the players. However there seems to be an attitude to get at those players and I don't think that's the way they should be treated."
Keher went on to add that players are now at a loss as to how to tackle.
"You can't commit a technical foul. We always admired players who went for the '50-50' ball or even the '40-60' ball. They were lauded and admired. Now if you commit a technical foul, the player is consigned to a passenger for the rest of the game.

"He can't tackle or do anything. That takes away from the great physical part of our game.
Dirty play is another thing and people have misinterpreted what I said about that. I don't advocate a return to the 'Hell's Kitchen' type of hurling. I'm talking about good, physical challenges and I just don't like seeing cards bandied about in a triumphalist way.

Players are at a loss to know how to tackle without committing a foul and incurring a yellow card.
"I ask a simple question. How does a back tackle a forward who's coming in with the ball on a solo run?  It just seems now that you can't tackle a player without getting a card or worse." 

Keher was later quoted a piece written by Denis Walsh in the Sunday Times.
"Brian Cody's line about the physicality in hurling has been aired on a loop for most of the decade. Kilkenny players were programmed to give belts and take belts and not lie down.
"Their rivals realised they had no hope against them without reaching a certain threshold of machismo and hurling elite referees increasingly became facilitators rather than policemen."

In response Keher added: "There has been a lot of talk about Kilkenny's physicality.
"No opposing player that played against Kilkenny in Brian Cody's reign has had to leave the field injured, whereas six Kilkenny players were felled with serious injuries during that period which incidentally went unpunished.
"As a side they challenge for everything and that's what we like about hurling. I wouldn't like that to disappear from the game.  I agree with a lot of what Denis Walsh said."

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 17, 2014, 05:38:18 PM

Eddie Keher makes it quite clear in his recently produced document that the brandishing of yellow and red cards has no place within the game of hurling.
Quite pointedly he claims that such cards are totally at variance with the "physicality and manliness" of the ancient game
His views was supported last week by current Kilkenny manager Brian Cody, with GAA President Liam O'Neill subsequently calling for an open debate on all aspects of the game of hurling.

Others have also rowed in, with many stating that if the game ain't broke, then don't fix it.
Keher was a revered figure on the pitch during his career with the Cats, winning a total of six All-Ireland titles. When he talks, people tend to listen!
Speaking on RTÉ Radio's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Keher outlined his frustration about what he calls the needless rituals of showing cards.

He said: "I never agreed with use of cards. They were introduced in 1970 in the soccer World Cup which was a wise decision because of the language barrier.
"It enabled referees to communicate better with the players of various countries.
"I abhor the whole ritual of showing cards to our hurlers.  It's a pompous and triumphalist exercise causing humiliation to our great players in front of their families, friends and supporters.
"It's a pompous and triumphalist exercise causing humiliation to our great players in front of their families"

"We must recognise that we have a wonderful organisation, but the greatest asset we have are the players. However there seems to be an attitude to get at those players and I don't think that's the way they should be treated."
"You can't commit a technical foul. We always admired players who went for the '50-50' ball or even the '40-60' ball. They were lauded and admired. Now if you commit a technical foul, the player is consigned to a passenger for the rest of the game.

"He can't tackle or do anything. That takes away from the great physical part of our game.
Dirty play is another thing and people have misinterpreted what I said about that. I don't advocate a return to the 'Hell's Kitchen' type of hurling. I'm talking about good, physical challenges and I just don't like seeing cards bandied about in a triumphalist way.

Players are at a loss to know how to tackle without committing a foul and incurring a yellow card.
"I ask a simple question. How does a back tackle a forward who's coming in with the ball on a solo run?  It just seems now that you can't tackle a player without getting a card or worse." 

"Brian Cody's line about the physicality in hurling has been aired on a loop for most of the decade. Kilkenny players were programmed to give belts and take belts and not lie down.
"Their rivals realised they had no hope against them without reaching a certain threshold of machismo and hurling elite referees increasingly became facilitators rather than policemen."

In response Keher added: "There has been a lot of talk about Kilkenny's physicality.
"No opposing player that played against Kilkenny in Brian Cody's reign has had to leave the field injured, whereas six Kilkenny players were felled with serious injuries during that period which incidentally went unpunished.
"As a side they challenge for everything and that's what we like about hurling. I wouldn't like that to disappear from the game.  I agree with a lot of what Denis Walsh said."

"No opposing player that played against Kilkenny in Brian Cody's reign has had to leave the field injured

is presumably horseshit.

seafoid

https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/cyril-farrell-on-cards-on

Cyril Farrell on the cards

RTE have the social media so you can "like" or "share"
but Cyril's comments already have at least 20 likes, like   

seafoid

It would be gas to get Pat Spillane to comment on Cody and Keher

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2014, 05:58:09 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 17, 2014, 05:38:18 PM

"No opposing player that played against Kilkenny in Brian Cody's reign has had to leave the field injured

is presumably horseshit.

No irish banker has ever been convicted.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on February 17, 2014, 05:36:52 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 17, 2014, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 14, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 12, 2014, 02:58:59 PM
A year ago Cody was crying about Padraic Maher and wanting all sorts of punishments for a foul on Michael Rice.
Now, all because the Ginger Cat got red carded and Kilkenny lost, Darth Cody wants card done away with.

Let's just do away with referees and let Cody decide what constitutes fair play!

Two incidents at totally opposite ends of the spectrum is hardly helping your argument.

Has anyone got a link to the Maher pull. I only seen it live and at the time I remember thinking it was as dirty a swing that I'd ever seen at inter county in recent memory.
You must live in a cave if you think it was that bad.
It was a clumsy one handed pull on the ball where the hurley flew up and caught Rice on the hand.

Mahers hurl caught Rice because he swung well behind the ball. He never looked like he was interested in the ball when it happened. We're talking about a top IC hurler not some Div4 club hacker, so I'm not buying the clumsy argument. In my cave we were always taught to only pull when the balls there. Good advice which I'm sure has saved many's an ankle and hand from a bad injury. 

As I said ...my memory may have dimmed, but I do remember seeing it on the big screen when I was at the game and that's what I remember. Would anyone have a link to the incident online? Prepared to be proved wrong
5 mins in

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAy2xTotaws

Wouldn't call it malicious but a very, very careless pull. His stick seemed to slide up Rice's stick.

Rossfan

There's little need for referees in hurling either, especially if they're going round sending off managers' sons. Sure the buck on the sideline could keep the score and let the lads on the pitch get on with their "manliness".
Looking at the NHL games over the weekend it seems the dunt in the back to knock down a lad about to pick the ball the ball is legal as is the man with the ball catching a would be tackler round the neck and wrestling him out of the way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theskull1

Cheers Tony.

To me it looked as if Rice opened himself up a bit and Maher took an opportunity to sail into him. It was a very wicked swing although I'm sure he regrets it knowing the severity of the injury he caused
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Eamonnca1

QuoteCork chief calls on counties to shoot down 'Nash motion'
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cork GAA chairman Bob Ryan has launched a withering attack on the "Anthony Nash motion", questioning whether the GAA want to turn hurling into golf.

By John Fogarty
A motion from the playing rules committee will be voted on at Saturday's Congress making it illegal for a player to advance the ball deliberately passed the position where a free, penalty or sideline is to be struck from.

Ryan believes Cork goalkeeper Nash has been singled out for his success in converting two close-range frees in last year's All-Ireland finals.

Cork will strenuously oppose the motion in Croke Park and are urging counties to do likewise. "I would hope hurling people especially would see how nonsensical this motion is," said Ryan. "This one possible rule change would alter more than just how 20-metre frees and penalties are taken and I don't think it would be advantageous for the game. In hurling you must strike the ball using a forward motion. So if you win a 65 would it now become a 70? Maybe they want to change it to golf, I don't know. Maybe they now want people teeing up the ball!"

Ryan was taken aback by how the GAA have been so quick to react in an attempt to clearly neutralise Nash's style. "It is disappointing. I'm absolutely amazed that this attempt to change the rule is being made in view of the fact that 2013, by everybody's agreement, was the best year in the history of hurling. One of the highlights was Anthony Nash going up to take his frees. Now, for some strange reason, an attempt is being made to change. It defies logic."

At the Cork board's monthly meeting last week, Ryan suggested the rule change be debated at the hurling forum spoken of by GAA President Liam O'Neill.

He said he has had no feedback from Croke Park on the idea. "I don't know what their intentions are. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," he said about the motion. "I think the thing to do now rather than go down the road of tinkering with hurling on a willy-nilly basis is to talk in the proper forum mentioned by the president and whatever needs to be rectified, do it, and then leave the game alone."

At the weekend, Clare boss Davy Fitzgerald stressed the importance for the motion to pass on the grounds of safety for players on the goal-line.

Former Cork defender Diarmuid O'Sullivan last week described the motion as "farcical". Speaking last month, ex-Wexford netminder Damien Fitzhenry felt it discriminated against Nash.

Prior to news of the playing rules committee discussing the rule change, former Clare goalkeeper Seamus Durack told this newspaper Nash's style had to be stamped out.

He said: "I'm not getting at Anthony who's a wonderful goalkeeper, but it's not right being allowed to throw the ball seven yards in front of you. It's a pure joke and must be stopped."

Irish Examiner

Is this what we're doing now? Changing the rules to prevent the evolution of the game?  Nothing good ever comes out of changing the rules in response to isolated events.  Who can forget the unbelievably stupid decision to experiment with abolishing the opening clash and replace it with a puckout in the league, all because of one single incident in a game in the previous year.

If every penalty or short range free becomes unstoppable and goals become guaranteed then by all means adjust the rules or move the ball back a bit, but FFS wait until it becomes a problem!

seafoid

That Cody/Keher proposal is nuts. Listen to the SG boys discussing mullocking quietly in 2012 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OImPNIj4g4

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2014, 10:13:40 PM
There's little need for referees in hurling either, especially if they're going round sending off managers' sons. Sure the buck on the sideline could keep the score and let the lads on the pitch get on with their "manliness".
Looking at the NHL games over the weekend it seems the dunt in the back to knock down a lad about to pick the ball the ball is legal as is the man with the ball catching a would be tackler round the neck and wrestling him out of the way.

Christ you have a massive hang up about hurling and how its officiated
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea