Future of Hurling ??

Started by Rossfan, February 12, 2014, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

What is the 5 second advantage rule?  :-[ about not knowing!

Canalman

Quote from: johnneycool on January 12, 2015, 09:30:18 AM
Quote from: Zulu on January 11, 2015, 04:19:22 PM
The two yellow cards proposal is just bizarre and you'd have to wonder what they were thinking. It's overshadowing a lot of the other proposals and could mean some that might have passed won't. The advantage rule is a strange one insofar as in hurling 5 seconds can be a long time but it could improve the daft situation where a fouled player gets an advantage when the free would be the much better option for the fouled player. I don't think the penalty proposal will pass or should it. You can't read anything into the test they did as it's far too small a sample to tell us anything. I think it will make a penalty too certain a score and is thus to harsh a penalty to the defending team.

I really don't understand why the GAA don't trial certain proposals in both codes at lower levels, school, underage, club leagues etc. to see how they pan out away from the spotlight over a reasonable amount of time. It would at least allow congress some real facts before voting something in or out.

I think the 5 second advantage rule could be a good thing if worked properly. The ref will need to make it abundantly clear when the advantage is over and if nothing has accrued bring it back, a bit like in rugby, but in rugby the ref is more likely to be up close to the action than a hurling ref just due to the nature of the game, so the ref will need some shout on him or her!

I think I read somewhere that there were two penalties in the Walsh cup game Antrim played in and both were saved, I could stand corrected.
Maybe the keepers have a better chance than first thought especially if the penalty taker is a power man rather than placement.

I would think that given the  current  treacley pitch conditions that the option of blasting the ball low at penalties is a non runner so keepers can expect the penalties to be hit at above waist height.

Jeepers Creepers

Keeper has no distractions on the line with this rule, so to me favours tem more than the penalty taker. Two penalties were given in the Antrim/DIT game and both superbly saved. As they say in soccer they were the right height for the keeper.

manfromdelmonte

You'd swear there was barely any hurling played outside of the top few counties.

I would have thought there'd be 2/3 pages on developing hurling in the Christy Ring Counties and then concrete proposals for Meagher and Rackard competitions and counties.
Pure Bull. This is where the real growth in club hurling can occur. Not in the established counties.

Not a mention of the Third Level Sector! This is a huge cause of burnout in young players.

They never met with any Cumann na mBunscol committee. Most of the competitions in schools are not run for participation. How does that tie in with the Go Games model???

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 12, 2015, 11:29:29 PM
You'd swear there was barely any hurling played outside of the top few counties.

I would have thought there'd be 2/3 pages on developing hurling in the Christy Ring Counties and then concrete proposals for Meagher and Rackard competitions and counties.
Pure Bull. This is where the real growth in club hurling can occur. Not in the established counties.

Not a mention of the Third Level Sector! This is a huge cause of burnout in young players.

They never met with any Cumann na mBunscol committee. Most of the competitions in schools are not run for participation. How does that tie in with the Go Games model???

When you consider the makeup of the committee (and most hurling review committees) are you surprised?

chairman Liam Sheedy (Tipperary),
committee members included; Ed Donnelly
(Secretary), Pat Henderson (Kilkenny), Des Cullinane
(Cork), Terence "Sambo" Mc Naughton (Antrim), Ollie
Moran (Limerick), Veronica Curtin (Galway), Frank
Lohan (Clare), Ollie Canning (Galway) and Paul Flynn
(Waterford). Michael Duignan (Offaly)

I'd image they'd a full 10 minutes discussing how to bring the likes of Carlow, Westmeath and Laois up another level, let alone the rest of us!

Oh wait, they reviewed the internal structures of the top 10 hurling and want to get some external consultancy to create a best practice document for the rest of us!

'We propose engaging with an external consultancy
organisation to examine the best practices of how
hurling is nurtured in the ten Liam MacCarthy
counties playing today. These best practices
should include (but not be limited to) - underage
participation, hurling activity at primary schools and
post primary schools, club / school links, coaching
strictures, development squads and part-time and
full-time coaching personnel.
The external consultancy organisation will be asked
to produce a best practice template to be used as a
blueprint to share with all counties which if followed
will help to build up hurling within each county from its
foundations, i.e. at underage level. As different counties
may be at different stages, the blueprint can be used
in different ways with funding and resources to be
allocated only to those who meet the agreed success
criteria.'

I suppose there's some merit in that, but it really would have been nice if they'd taken the time to speak to some mid to low tier hurling counties rather than spend all their time meeting with the 10 top counties.

What'll work in Tipp won't necessarily work in Carlow.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on January 13, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 12, 2015, 11:29:29 PM

When you consider the makeup of the committee (and most hurling review committees) are you surprised?

chairman Liam Sheedy (Tipperary),
committee members included; Ed Donnelly
(Secretary), Pat Henderson (Kilkenny), Des Cullinane
(Cork), Terence "Sambo" Mc Naughton (Antrim), Ollie
Moran (Limerick), Veronica Curtin (Galway), Frank
Lohan (Clare), Ollie Canning (Galway) and Paul Flynn
(Waterford). Michael Duignan (Offaly)

I'd image they'd a full 10 minutes discussing how to bring the likes of Carlow, Westmeath and Laois up another level, let alone the rest of us!

Oh wait, they reviewed the internal structures of the top 10 hurling and want to get some external consultancy to create a best practice document for the rest of us!

'We propose engaging with an external consultancy
organisation to examine the best practices of how
hurling is nurtured in the ten Liam MacCarthy
counties playing today. These best practices
should include (but not be limited to) - underage
participation, hurling activity at primary schools and
post primary schools, club / school links, coaching
strictures, development squads and part-time and
full-time coaching personnel.
The external consultancy organisation will be asked
to produce a best practice template to be used as a
blueprint to share with all counties which if followed
will help to build up hurling within each county from its
foundations, i.e. at underage level. As different counties
may be at different stages, the blueprint can be used
in different ways with funding and resources to be
allocated only to those who meet the agreed success
criteria.'

I suppose there's some merit in that, but it really would have been nice if they'd taken the time to speak to some mid to low tier hurling counties rather than spend all their time meeting with the 10 top counties.

What'll work in Tipp won't necessarily work in Carlow.
Very unfair on the committee. I'm sure they're all in favour of Carlow, Laois and Westmeath losing to the elite by narrower margins.

The problem is that a lot of the guys on the committee are not heavily working at grassroots, to the best of my knowledge. A lot of them have roughly the same sort of profile and just happen to be from different counties.

What was the selection criteria though, apart obviously from a spread of counties? There is one of them whose knowledge of the rules would be poor for example!