Black card = goals galore

Started by Jinxy, February 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 03, 2014, 12:20:09 AM
Hopefully coaches will spend more time coaching how to tackle properly - getting a hand in at the right time, shepherding a man onto his weak side, blocking down passes / shots. Great skills that are rare enough amongst backs these days

Hopefully coaches will spend more time teaching attackers to take only 4 steps before toe tapping or bouncing the ball. Great skill rarely practiced by attackers these days.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on February 02, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM
Some crazy scorelines today.
Forwards much more willing to take on their marker knowing they might actually get something out of it?

I'm afraid you could be right. Defenders afraid to defend.
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:38:04 PM
Wasn't in Navan for the game but I believe the lads scored 3-18 FROM PLAY.
Mad stuff.

Jayz, how many frees did we miss?

That was the fear of those of us who do not think defending is a sin. Some really high scoring games for early Feb. Lets see if it continues. This will evolve as time goes by but I hope it doesn't end up as I feared at the outset.

AZOffaly

I'm a forward, so I'm all for scoring, but you can still defend within the rules. It's just harder to do and so coaches and players will have to react. My fears are more around diving to get black cards issued, but hopefully that will not be the case.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 04, 2014, 11:03:32 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 02, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM
Some crazy scorelines today.
Forwards much more willing to take on their marker knowing they might actually get something out of it?

I'm afraid you could be right. Defenders afraid to defend.
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:38:04 PM
Wasn't in Navan for the game but I believe the lads scored 3-18 FROM PLAY.
Mad stuff.

Jayz, how many frees did we miss?

That was the fear of those of us who do not think defending is a sin. Some really high scoring games for early Feb. Lets see if it continues. This will evolve as time goes by but I hope it doesn't end up as I feared at the outset.

Yes but if you defend properly within the rules it can be done properly - it means defenders need to be taught how to defend properly rather than relying on having 3/4 spare defenders around to help them out and it also means that it's the job further out the field to know how to defend so that you can't play the perfect pass.

Rossfan

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on February 04, 2014, 11:45:42 AM
Yes but if you defend properly within the rules it can be done properly - it means defenders need to be taught how to defend properly
Feck that - sure isn't pullinandhraggin grand.
Hopee it won't be the end of the GAA as we know it.( Better put one of these in for th'Ulster buckeens  ;D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

I think that good defenders will adapt without much fuss.
The lads who've been hiding behind the 'safety in numbers, pull and drag' approach will be found out.
Donal Keoghan has given an exhibition of corner back play the last 2 weekends.
It is possible to defend without grabbing hold of the forward.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 04, 2014, 11:00:11 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 03, 2014, 12:20:09 AM
Hopefully coaches will spend more time coaching how to tackle properly - getting a hand in at the right time, shepherding a man onto his weak side, blocking down passes / shots. Great skills that are rare enough amongst backs these days

Hopefully coaches will spend more time teaching attackers to take only 4 steps before toe tapping or bouncing the ball. Great skill rarely practiced by attackers these days.

Could be that they're not great at the aul counting :D

orangeman

There'll be plenty more of this I'd say.

Kerry's Mark Griffin has become the first inter-county player to have a black card rescinded, WRITES COLM KEYS.

Griffin sought a hearing after he was sent off for pulling back Alan Freeman in the 68th minute of the Kingdom's defeat by Mayo in the Allianz Football League earlier this month.

Kerry had already used their quota of six subs, so they had to finish the game with 14 men.

Manager Eamon Fitzmaurice made reference to the incident in his post-match summation and suggested that more players will go to ground when they are fouled to increase the prospects of an opponent being shown the black card.

The challenges by Griffin and Foley are the first at inter-county level from almost 120 black card offences since the sanction was introduced.

Jell 0 Biafra

Question for the refs:

When you sub a guy who got a black card, does that substitution come from your allotted number of subs?   I.e., if 3 guys on your team got black, would you only have 2 additional subs?

maigheo

You are allowed 6 subs and the 3 black cards come from this

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: maigheo on March 30, 2014, 03:25:20 AM
You are allowed 6 subs and the 3 black cards come from this

Thanks!

sligoman2

Black card rule has improved the game without question.  It has eliminated the cynical fouls and has achieved its goal.  I'm a big fan of the black card
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

muppet

Not a fan.

For a start the core problem which leads to the clamour for rule changes all the time, is not the rules. It is their implementation. There seems to be a reluctance for referees to issue a 2nd or 3rd black card in a match. While Colm Boyle was a deserved black card, I thought Diarmuid Connelly was a cert. AOS was also clearly pulled down by a man he had just gone past. The free was given but no black card. Why not? Either apply the rule consistently or forget it. But then that inconsistency is the real problem, not the rules.
MWWSI 2017

easytiger95

While I wouldn't agree that either of those incidents were nailed on black cards, would I be right in saying that both of them happened outside the final third? I thought myself that was a consideration the ref seemed to be applying. Just speaking from memory now, so I'm not certain.

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 30, 2014, 06:53:37 PM
While I wouldn't agree that either of those incidents were nailed on black cards, would I be right in saying that both of them happened outside the final third? I thought myself that was a consideration the ref seemed to be applying. Just speaking from memory now, so I'm not certain.

Keegan was pulled down from behind by Connelly while running towards goal about 30 yards out. I am open to correction on that but that's what it looked like to me. I think O'Shea's incident happened in the middle third of the pitch. Regarding the Connelly incident the only way I figured it couldn't be a black card would be if the ref thought Keegan had pulled Connelly down on top of him. In that case it should have been a free out and some other sanction for Keegan.

Also if a ref applied that logic (which would be reasonable and would compare with the 'goal scoring chance' ideology of soccer), why hasn't it been applied in other games where a forward (e.g. Richie Feeney) gets black carded for an offence in the opponents half?
MWWSI 2017