Black card = goals galore

Started by Jinxy, February 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 04:22:06 PM
In the 1st half, Kildare lost their best player from the previous week and Mayo lost their All-Star midfielder.
Cribbins was 100% correct, O, Sheas was borderline.
However, I'd wager neither of them will get another black card for the rest of the campaign.

O Sé borderline maybe even harsh. But the way he tackles with his strength and  hands high there is always a good chance he will pick up black and yellow cards.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 07:14:29 PM
Offensive kicking unit '13' was particularly effective I thought.

Chief programmer Ryan has made some nice subtle code changes there.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM
Some crazy scorelines today.
Forwards much more willing to take on their marker knowing they might actually get something out of it?

I'm afraid you could be right. Defenders afraid to defend.

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2014, 03:38:04 PM
Wasn't in Navan for the game but I believe the lads scored 3-18 FROM PLAY.
Mad stuff.

Jayz, how many frees did we miss?

orangeman

Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2014, 07:23:25 PM
In the 1st half, Kildare lost their best player from the previous week and Mayo lost their All-Star midfielder.
However, I'd wager neither of them will get another black card for the rest of the campaign.

O Sé borderline maybe even harsh. But the way he tackles with his strength and  hands high there is always a good chance he will pick up black and yellow cards.

Personally I thought the ref called O'Se's black card incorrectly. It wasn't a deliberate pull down. Momentum and conditions weren't taken into account.

Cribbin can't have much complaint.

CorkMan

I think later in the year, as the games get bigger, you'll have players pulling forwards down and taking the black card if they have to but you'll also probably see referees letting players off if they're not the last man.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on February 02, 2014, 07:52:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2014, 07:23:25 PM

Personally I thought the ref called O'Se's black card incorrectly. It wasn't a deliberate pull down. Momentum and conditions weren't taken into account.

Cribbin can't have much complaint.

The O Sé 'foul' incidental enough. I thought the black card was for stuff - forgive me Orangeman - like Sean Cavanagh did. Pulling down a player in on goals or stopping a supporting run. The third man tackle sort of thing. Not some harmless enough tangle in an attempt to win a ball around the middle.
Saying that O Sé is clumsy and we might have to get used to him not finishing games unless he learns fast.
But it will take a lot of 'contact' out of the game. Any attempt to compete will be one card or another unless its perfectly executed. No harm some might say but anybody believing it will end up with high scoring goalfests will be disappointed. It s early days and coaches will quickly realise that to keep scores down you need bodies behind the ball to clog things up. Blanket defense will become mattress defense.

Ringfort

Watched the Dub/Kerry match and the Derry/Tyrone match (fair play to Premier Sports player) and thought both games were pretty entertaining and open with a crazy amount of goal chances. Cannot complain though it will take backs a while to adjust and people are just figuring things out in these early days. Couldn't believe the scores coming in from around the country! Not a bad development in my book.

macdanger2

Hopefully coaches will spend more time coaching how to tackle properly - getting a hand in at the right time, shepherding a man onto his weak side, blocking down passes / shots. Great skills that are rare enough amongst backs these days

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 03, 2014, 12:20:09 AM
Hopefully coaches will spend more time coaching how to tackle properly - getting a hand in at the right time, shepherding a man onto his weak side, blocking down passes / shots. Great skills that are rare enough amongst backs these days

Ideally that would be the way it would go but not likely to happen. Few teams will even have one or two backs that will be able to win battles with the pacy forwards the better teams have.

But it remains to be seen how it develops. Maybe it will bring the smaller more skillful forward back into fashion. Ronaldson and Conoreen might have a role yet. Rosnarun would like that. At least the Ronaldson bit.

orangeman

The rule is for a deliberate pull down or trip.

How can a linesman 80, 90 or 100 yards away tell a ref that a bodycheck or contact that leads to someone falling down that it was 100% intentional ?

I assume there is a mechanism to appeal a black card ?

Will we see yellows and blacks being appealed left, right and centre ?.

If so, let the fun begin.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

How can a linesman 80, 90 or 100 yards away tell a ref that a bodycheck or contact that leads to someone falling down that it was 100% intentional ?

How can a black card be appealed? Is there an accumalative punishment for getting a number?
What good would O Sé appealing today do? Hickey choose to act the man and the linesman was unlikely to spoil his moment. It was a huge call and possibly decided the game but how can appealing the card do anything about the result of the match which is the bottom line at the end of the day?

ONeill

28 goals first week last year. 37 (?) this year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2014, 12:40:02 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

How can a black card be appealed? Is there an accumalative punishment for getting a number?
What good would O Sé appealing today do? Hickey choose to act the man and the linesman was unlikely to spoil his moment. It was a huge call and possibly decided the game but how can appealing the card do anything about the result of the match which is the bottom line at the end of the day?

Here's why blacks and yellows will be appealed :

Suspensions
At all levels a Black Card results in a player missing the remainder of the game.
Additionally at Senior Inter County Level:
3 x Black Cards = 1 Game suspension
3 x Double Yellow Cards = 1 Game suspension
OR
A Combination of both (totaling 3) = 1 Game suspension
Only in senior inter-county league and championship games within the same year.
At All Other Levels:
2 x Double Yellows within 48 weeks = 2 week suspension
2 x Yellow followed by a Black Card within 48 weeks = 2 week suspension
OR
A combination of both = 2 week suspension
At all levels except senior inter-county league and championship.
Deliberate v Accidental Fouls
A Card shall be issued only where the Infraction is deemed by the Referee to have been deliberate and not accidental.

babarino

It looks to be putting manners on the Tyronies. Last year they wouldn't have let Derry back in to the game. Fair play is a good leveller.

orangeman

Quote from: babarino on February 03, 2014, 10:49:44 PM
It looks to be putting manners on the Tyronies. Last year they wouldn't have let Derry back in to the game. Fair play is a good leveller.

Monaghan and Louth must be in the same boat.