The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's the line alright, but he also turned down a 'one year extension'. The question might be why was he not offered a 2 or 3 year deal? Obviously a 1 year extension, versus a multi year deal from Japan is an entirely different kettle of fish to a 3 year deal offer.

easytiger95

I'd say Japan's relative closeness to NZ made a difference as well. What's the problem with Axel lads? There was a lot of grumbling when Penney was appointed that they weren't giving him a chance. Has his stock fallen in thomond? Will they give O'Sullivan an interview this time?

Hoof Hearted

Leaderboard after last week, only a couple of tries between top and bottom

David O'Connor - Capt Pat  71
Shane Gavin - Kick Ahead  70
Enda Finn - The Ruckin Lilies  70
Liam Connolly - Space Monkeys  66
Eamonn Reid - Try Hards  66
SHANE ONEILL  - roofers  57
andoireabu worldbeaters  - andoireabu  57
Niall Naughton - The elms  53
Gerard McErlean  - Hoof Hearted  50
Arch Stanton - Dinny's Demise 49
Cathal Harkin  - Only Amhran na bfhain  48
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 06, 2014, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2014, 03:20:33 PM
Unrelated, but Munster have confirmed that Rob Penney and Simon Mannix are leaving at the end of the year. Whatever about Mannix, who did seem to be a bit unpopular with the team, I thought Penney had really turned the corner and was starting to merge his ideas with the traditional Munster approach, without throwing either out the window. I was hopeful going forward with him.

Disappointed now, and I hope it's not Axel Foley that gets the job.

He was really starting to produce good players for Ireland as well. Big blow for Munster rugby, Foley is too ingrained in percentage rugby to bring Munster on imho.

This could all be as result of the ERC/Rabo/AP/Welsh Regions cluster f**k though. Uncertainty means the IRFU can't commit beyond one year.

When has winning Munster rugby anything than other than that?

Foley has been groomed for the job for years and Penney was just a (decent) holding patern coach to guide Munster over the transition from the EC winning sides to the current team. Foley deserves his shot, Munster have went about giving him the time to develop as a coach in a way few organisations have the patience to do and it could pay dividends.

grounded

Syferus

Part two of the farewell tour complete. Maybe, just maybe.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Ar fheabhas ar fad. Bring on the Tans.

screenexile

Didn't see that coming... Everyone involved in that performance deserves credit!

Outstanding!!!!!

J OGorman

Quote from: screenexile on February 08, 2014, 04:38:34 PM
Didn't see that coming... Everyone involved in that performance deserves credit!

Outstanding!!!!!

Bigtime...what a performance from every man. The Welsh packed destroyed. Big Pauly off after 55 mins such was the dominance.

Dinny Breen

Coaching master class executed to a tee by the players O'Mahony coming of age but Sexton was my motm - the game control he exhibited was outstanding
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

A good performance from Ireland today. We need to bring that level of performance into the England game. They beat the Scots 20 to zero in murrayfield.

There were no injuries for us today at least but we will still be missing Bowe, O'Brien, Ryan and Ferris.

Syferus

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 08, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
A good performance from Ireland today. We need to bring that level of performance into the England game. They beat the Scots 20 to zero in murrayfield.

There were no injuries for us today at least but we will still be missing Bowe, O'Brien, Ryan and Ferris.

To be fair Ferris is perennially injured so we've moved far past relying on him or expecting him to be fit. It's lads like Henry, O'Mahony, Trimble, Toner, Dave Kearney along with some very solid youngsters that come in as subs for the pack that have impressed me the most. Suddenly we've lots of options even with some big injuries. Bodes well for the future.

Walter Cronc

I've been critical of O'Mahony in the past but Jesus he was powerful today. Trimble also!

moysider

I remember Irish teams as far back Willie John and Mike Gibson and this display ranks as one of the great Ireland performances. We used always get an odd blood and guts performance - usually against England - but this was more structured and more encouraging.

Missing a few injured players. O Brien's ball carrying a loss but Chris Henry is a cracking player too and a more natural 7. Ferris a loss but O Mahoney is a man possessed.

Ulster s surge has added a lot. Trimble is now a top player. Best with his throwing sorted is world class. Henry is up there with McKinney, Carr, Matthews, Ferris as a backrower.
The half backs are arguably the best in the N Hemisphere. Rob Kearney is the best full back we ve ever produced imo.

The Slam is something this squad is going to burst themselves for now. It s very doable as long as injuries dont scupper us. We re now favourites to win the championship anyway.
This is a team we can be proud of.