The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I thought that Liam Williams' late hit on Jackson was a right dirty belt. I thought it was dirty at full speed, but when you could see in the replay that Williams was on his feet as Jackson touched down, it looks even worse. That could have been a concussion or a broken jaw.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2014, 12:00:30 PM
I thought that Liam Williams' late hit on Jackson was a right dirty belt. I thought it was dirty at full speed, but when you could see in the replay that Williams was on his feet as Jackson touched down, it looks even worse. That could have been a concussion or a broken jaw.

It was a nasty one alright. I think Jackson just saw it coming at the last second which probably saved it from being worse than it was.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 08, 2014, 04:58:25 PM
Coaching master class executed to a tee by the players O'Mahony coming of age but Sexton was my motm - the game control he exhibited was outstanding

Well put though I wouldn't argue about MOTM - both deserved it. I think that was easily Sexton's best game for Ireland. He was practically flawless. O'Mahoney was awesome though as were most of the team to be fair.

Feet need to be kept on the ground at only 2 steps of the 5 have been negotiated but we have a very good team with top quality replacements in all positions and they are being well coached and prepared.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2014, 12:00:30 PM

Will he get cited for that?

AZOffaly

Don't know if he will/has, but he deserves to be.

Main Street

I thought it looked more of a collision with no malicious intent, Jackson also dived in the direction of the onrushing Williams, and Williams did not make an extra movement to make contact with Jackson.

The hit on O'Driscoll had very nasty intent and could have easily done more damage.

johnneycool

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2014, 03:18:11 PM
I thought it looked more of a collision with no malicious intent, Jackson also dived in the direction of the onrushing Williams, and Williams did not make an extra movement to make contact with Jackson.

The hit on O'Driscoll had very nasty intent and could have easily done more damage.

What did he intend to do? Jackson had easily grounded the ball, so why the need to slide in with the shoulder at  Jacksons head?
Cheap shot which luckily didn't have the intended outcome.

Main Street

Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2014, 03:26:41 PM

What did he intend to do? Jackson had easily grounded the ball, so why the need to slide in with the shoulder at  Jacksons head?
It was Williams' elbow (not his shoulder) which made contact with Jackson's jaw.
Williams was trying to cut off a grounding.
Jackson going at full belt to ground the ball in one direction and Williams going at full belt directly against him. There was a collision.
Slow motion,  looks as if Williams tried to put on the brakes and fell/slid into Jackson. What makes it look ugly, is the sharp end of Williams' elbow making contact with Jackson's face.
I'd say clumsy or reckless but not dirty or malicious as some are wont to perceive. Possibly the reason why Jackson's jaw  remained intact was partly that Williams was not trying to do him.
He didn't get involved in any of the afters , put his hands up and went to Jackson to apologise.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2014, 05:16:55 PM

It was Williams' elbow (not his shoulder) which made contact with Jackson's jaw.
Jackson going at full belt to ground the ball in one direction and Williams going at full belt directly against him. There was a collision.
Slow motion,  looks as if Williams tried to put on the brakes and fell/slid into Jackson. What makes it look ugly, is the sharp end of Williams' elbow making contact with Jackson's face.
I'd say clumsy or reckless but not dirty or malicious as some are wont to perceive. Possibly the reason why Jackson's jaw  remained intact was partly that Williams was not trying to do him.
He didn't get involved in any of the afters , put his hands up and went to Jackson to apologise.

sorry MS, but he wasn't cutting off a grounding. He was on his feet when JAckson grounded the ball, and he left his feet in the slide after that. I think it was a cheap shot.

J OGorman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2014, 05:18:31 PM

sorry MS, but he wasn't cutting off a grounding. He was on his feet when JAckson grounded the ball, and he left his feet in the slide after that. I think it was a cheap shot.

was a fustrated cheap shot alright...low blow from Williams. Mike Phillips is a hoot

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2014, 05:18:31 PM

I presume he was going to all that effort  to hinder in some way the grounding. He was willing to act desperately for a lost cause.
You think he went all that way to get in a cheap shot with his elbow?
Both players were flying towards each other at top speed, it was all over in the blink of an eye.
Maybe he should have jumped over Jackson after Jackson dived, instead putting on the brakes.
At that speed, I doubt if anyone could take proper evasive action in the .25 of a second between the Jackson dive and getting clattered.

AZOffaly

But my point is he didn't leave his feet until Jackson was down. In soccer it would be called a late tackle.

grounded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-XGWHmIVeo

I appreciate both players were going full tilt, but
having watched the clip its hard to see how it wasn't a cheap shot.

muppet

Quote from: grounded on February 10, 2014, 10:33:20 PM

Cheap shot.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on February 10, 2014, 11:06:17 PM
Quote from: grounded on February 10, 2014, 10:33:20 PM

Cheap shot.
Cheap shot.