immigration hardly room to swing a cat

Started by lawnseed, January 08, 2014, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 08, 2014, 09:43:40 PM
Don't know how anyone can compare the Irish emigrating to what has happened here.

Of course you don't.

Frankly, when I lived in England I reserved my contempt for the inner city trash that lived generation after generation on the dole. Entire blocks of council flats full of shell-suited good-for-nothing losers.  They never seemed to get half the vitriol that gets poured on immigrants.

theticklemister

We are all very lucky to live in a 'rich' coutry. Other people in he world are not as forunate. Where the f**k is the compassion gone to the unfortunate?

Treat others as you to would like to be treated.

Each of them people are migrated for a reason for a better life. Who the f**k are people think they are to tell them no?

Kidder81

Quote from: theticklemister on January 08, 2014, 10:49:25 PM
We are all very lucky to live in a 'rich' coutry. Other people in he world are not as forunate. Where the f**k is the compassion gone to the unfortunate?

Each of them people are migrated for a reason for a better life. Who the f**k are people think they are to tell them no?

A better life at tax payers expense. When would you shut the doors, another 100,000, another 500,000?

You would have no problem with an increase in your taxes to foot the welfare bill, the increased strain on an already at breaking point NHS ?

bennydorano

Lot of people seem to be swallowing what the Tories are selling - lies & scare stories.

armaghniac

QuoteEach of them people are migrated for a reason for a better life. Who the f**k are people think they are to tell them no?

I don't want my neighbour migrating into my house, because he thinks I have a nice carpet.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kidder81

Quote from: bennydorano on January 08, 2014, 10:58:47 PM
Lot of people seem to be swallowing what the Tories are selling - lies & scare stories.

Labour have agreed they made a balls of immigration, they would be doing much the same as the big bad Tories. Indeed Jack Straw apologised in the BBC programme last night

Sidney

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2014, 11:20:39 PM
QuoteEach of them people are migrated for a reason for a better life. Who the f**k are people think they are to tell them no?

I don't want my neighbour migrating into my house, because he thinks I have a nice carpet.
If your neighbours are from Iran, they'll already have nicer carpets than you.

Arthur_Friend

Am I missing something or was there actually some evidence or statistics which showed the immigrants are coming here to leech off the state? Or did the Daily Mail say so?

lawnseed

Quote from: theticklemister on January 08, 2014, 10:49:25 PM

Who are people to say no? The people who are paying taxes thats who. The same guys who have to work til theyre 70 before they get the pension.
Last nights fergal keane show on bbc2 shows exactly whats peeing your average taxpaying brit off. The fugee who is on drugs and theiving all day to feed his habit and who destroyed his passport so they dont know where to deport him to. pure vermin
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 08, 2014, 09:43:40 PM
Don't know how anyone can compare the Irish emigrating to what has happened here. Don't know anyone that emigrated because they wanted to get tax credits, dole, free housing etc & taking the whole family with them.

Now someone made the point of our own work shy useless hoors here that sit all their lives on benefits, that's true but why take thousands and thousands more in to do the same ? And it doesent make you some sort of right wing racist for thinking that.

You've answered your point, immigrants are filling the jobs that these useless cnuts over here won't do. Once every job is filled by these useless fcukers from benefit street then we can have a complaint about immigration being bad for the economy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

imo there is a need for immigrants - to augment the workforce or parts of it.
however, we should follow the us and australian examples and bring in a green card system in Ireland.
that way we can regulate the type of workers that come in and the length of visas they are given and enable certain immigrants to stay.

no one coming in should be eligible for benefits - certainly not immediately.
there was an article in one of the sunday papers (business post or Times on sunday) about the benefits obtained and obtainable to immigrants immediately or after a certain length of stay or after a certain length of work service - and Ireland and britan was the two that gave most benefits straight away and the most in monetary assistence.
Other euro countries featured like spain and italy, people had to work in the country for a certain length of time before they could access any benefits- apart from immediate healthcare that was available immediately to everyone in all eu countries.
from recollection.
I still think we need to issue green cards and then restrict benefits to people with a certain length of service in work before being eligible (and that should apply to domestic Irish too not just immigrants - put them to work with the council etc)

Minder

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 09, 2014, 03:58:10 PM
however, we should follow the us and australian examples and bring in a green card system in Ireland.
that way we can regulate the type of workers that come in and the length of visas they are given and enable certain immigrants to stay.

there was an article in one of the sunday papers (business post or Times on sunday) about the benefits obtained and obtainable to immigrants immediately or after a certain length of stay or after a certain length of work service - and Ireland and britan was the two that gave most benefits straight away and the most in monetary assistence.
Other euro countries featured like spain and italy, people had to work in the country for a certain length of time before they could access any benefits- apart from immediate healthcare that was available immediately to everyone in all eu countries.
from recollection.
I still think we need to issue green cards and then restrict benefits to people with a certain length of service in work before being eligible (and that should apply to domestic Irish too not just immigrants - put them to work with the council etc)

Hard to disagree with any of that lynchboy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on January 09, 2014, 06:02:21 PM

from recollection.

Hard to disagree with any of that lynchboy.

Unless you are a politician lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

from recollection.

I think that is a very fair point above. Certain jobs I've gotten here I've been ineligable for health insurance for the first 6 months of the job. Each and every visa had to have proof that I could sustain myself financially, and when I got my green card my wife had to prove she could provide for both of us. I cannot come here to live off the state.

Now, I have a job, and I've payed taxes, so if I was to be laid off I can collect unemployment - but certainly not right out the gate.

I think this is the bottom line mix of fairness and self protection for a countries finances.

easytiger95

Nice article from last month - excuse my wishy-washy liberal bias

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/27/net-migration-cap-damages-britain

the facts are that 1. net migration to the UK is falling year on year (a trend that began before the Tories started cracking down).

2. The Uk (and a lot of other Western democracies with low birth rate) need a bigger flow of immigrants than currently exists just to sustain, let alone improve their GDP figures.

3. Most studies suggest that far from being welfare tourists, that migrants are far less likely to access welfare benefits than native born citizens.

4. Quite apart from their value to the labour force, again studies show that migrants are far more likely to add to GDP growth by setting up SMEs and that areas with large migrant communites show a benefit to the local economy above and beyond comparable areas (i.e working class enclaves) with little or no immigrants.

5. The scariest thing of all is the ignorance of this subject, demonstrated by the figures in the closing paragraphs of that article detailing the public perception of the problem. When asked what is the percentage of immigrants in the Uk population, most people thought the figure was 31% - real answer 13%. When asked what percentage of those are asylum seekers, people answered 21% - real answer 4%.

It would be like a bad epsiode of Family fortunes (as if there is any other kind!) where it not for the incredibly serious implications for the UK and by extension for ourselves. The New right agenda is a combination of selfish capitalism (disdain for EU regulations and social charters) wilful ignorance (the figures above) and wolfish political cynicism and stunts ( loudspeaker vans telling immigrants to go home, whilst trying to out UKIP UKIP) and media opportunism (Daily Mail, murdoch etc). The electoral maths makes it pretty certain that the Tories will have to become even more extreme to get back into government and whilst they may not have the numbers to force a European referendum, their own domestic needs could see Europe telling them to do one, rather than the other way round.

And if that happens, we are goosed economically - any recovery will be strangled by our largest partner being outside the EU. And dem foreigners? Pawns in a much larger game. I pity the poor immigrant....