Who will be U-21 Champions in 2007?

Cork
27 (75%)
Laois
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 08, 2007, 10:59:36 PM

galwayman

I thought it was a poor game overall. As almost everyone else has said the ref was brutal. Possibly the worst I have ever seen. It seemed that almost every time a foul was committed, regardless of the seriousness of the foul, a yellow card was produced.
I do think the 2nd yellow card that Boyle got for the sending off was justified as he went in with a sliding tackle and took the Laois lads out - he was going for the ball alright but you can't slide in like that in gaelic football and not expect to be punished for it.
He should never have been booked in the first half though - he committed a foul but there's no way it warranted a yellow card.
Having said that, knowing that he was on a yellow, the sliding tackle for the sending off was very foolish.

I thought the Laois number 11 Craig Rogers was very good, as was number 13 while Donie Brennan won a lot of ball and looked dangerous but kicked a few terrible wides. At times he seemed to have a go from impossible angles and distances.
It's hard to pick out many Mayo players who played up to standard.
I think Cork will win the AI - they had a good side last year and seem to have a lot of that team available again.

Midman

Anyone know if it can be listened to online?

Tatler Jack

Cork 11pts Armagh 5 pts at half time. Cork score 10 from play

Tatler Jack

So its Cork v Laois in the final. Should be a good game. Was it 2 or 3 years ago they met at Minor level in Limerick and a few suspensions followed!! I expect it will be close again but Cork may just have the edge - if Laois win they will have beaten a good Cork team.

armaghniac

The half time score says it all, Armagh got away with giving Monaghan a head start, but allowing Cork get ahead 7-1 in the first quarter was one point  too far. Cork got some fine points in the first half. We could have stolen it in the second half, some good play but also missing several easy points and making some simple mistakes.  Cork should have a good chance in the final, they have some big lads, but are faster than Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

can we have a new vote now? Seeing as the majority posters counties have been beaten ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Quote from: 5iveTimes on April 22, 2007, 07:13:09 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 22, 2007, 07:09:18 PM
can we have a new vote now? Seeing as the majority posters counties have been beaten ;)

Was just thinking the same thing myself Laoislad.
80% of voters got it wrong.

Sorry Armagh ones, but I voted Cork. Would have been delighted to Armagh win it, but I felt that Cork was going to win.
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 22, 2007, 07:09:18 PM

Didn't vote myself as it was silly and going to fall along county loyalties.  Not overly suprised Armagh were beaten, but can't really comment as I couldn't make it to the game.

johnpower

Armagh very unlucky missed a goal chance at the end . some good performances by some of the armagh lads but some poor shooting cost them It should be a very interesting final Laois will have to be wary of Cork

laoisgaa

After the weekends action I'm a bit worried that Laois won't do the business in the decider, however some heart can be taken from the fact that Cork really let Armagh back into the game in the second half today and were very lucky not to be beaten. O'Rourke's late goal chance in injury time for Armagh could have so easily went the wrong way.

It was three years ago when the teams met at Minor level in Limerick with Laois winning the refixture in Thurles. At U21 level Cork beat Laois after a replay in last year's All-Ireland semi-final so it's certainly very hard to call the final. Although Cork may be the favourites, Laois can be written off at your peril as they have certainly improved consistently with each game in this years championship right through from the opening round in Leinster.

Final is May 5th or 6th in either Limerick or Thurles. I'd be hoping for the Saturday in Thurles as Laois will not want a repeat performance of the first Saturday in May in 1998 when we lost our last final to Kerry especially since we have yet to lift All-Ireland silverware in the competition despite contesting the first final in 1964!!

Over the Bar

It's funny how both Armagh u21s and seniors are slow to start?  They both often allow teams to get 4 or 5 points up then gradually peg them back in the second half. 

Armamike

Armagh shot themselves out of it. The warning signs were there in earlier games, but Cork were just that bit too good and were very clinical with their shooting. Cork gave an exhibition in the first half, with some very fluent play and great score taking. Took the Armagh full back line to the cleaners in the first 20 mins. Armagh only settled after 15 mins or so. There was a bit of a breeze in Cork's favour in the first half and maybe this explains why Armagh were so dominant in the second. The last 20 mins of the second half was one way traffic for Armagh, but a lack of cohesion up front,and some very scoreable chances going amiss, proved very costly. O'Rourke's goal miss at the end of normal time was unbelievable from where i was sat. That would have put Armagh one up and probably home and dry. Best for Armagh were Vernon, Forker, Lavery,McKenna and O'Rourke.  Can't help but feel that this was a good opportunity let slip, though Cork are a very good side.  Armagh's forward play in general was very disjointed and the movement of Courtney from the centre, to accomodate McKenna, didn't work imo. Courtney was played at CHF and was non existant unfortunately. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Fishead_Sam

There ya go "The Real Laoislad" only back in Castlebar from a very depressing weekend in Roscommon & Dublin, but on the brightside David Brad, Ronan McGarrity & Trevor Mortimer are back.

Mayo bouncing back aleady.

"We get knocked down, but we get up again, your never going to keep us down"

Congrats to Cork & Laois U-21's, Donegal & Mayo ladies for defeating Cork, the first team to do so in something like 32 matches since the last team to beat them was us too.

Uladh

Go on Fishead, tell the truth... you were on the mayo panel saturday?