The Disappeared - RTE1 now 21.35 & BBC1 22.35

Started by Kidder81, November 04, 2013, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Billy Mc Kee had no issue with the killings, as long a the corpses were left by the roadside. Did he not say himself he had no problem with killing Jean Mc Conville, but with the "disappearing" of her corpse, or words to that effect.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 05, 2013, 01:37:17 PM
QuoteSS, do you mean why did the IRA kill them??  I don't think you'll find anyone who'll justify it...not in 2013 anyway.

Sorry - justify does not seem the correct word. 'Why' I think because i spose they were or were suspected of being touts although the case of Jean McConville to me was always shrouded in confusion in that she was either (i) executed cos she helped an injured soldier on the street or (ii) had control of a radio and was sending information to the security forces and had been warned a number of times to cease.

Was the IRA (or sorry Louth TD, the mystery men from mystery land) saying that all the so-called disappeared were all informers?

Were lads 'disappeared' for simply dissing a local commander or not showing 'due respect'?
There was no law. They could have been looking at someone sideways or may have spilled someone's pint. Maybe some of them were suspected paedos. Or is that too modern?

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2013, 11:01:30 AM
Awful occurrences at an awful time in our history. So easy to condemn now.
Are you suggesting that nobody condemned them at the time? Or considered them awful occurrences at the time?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 05, 2013, 11:31:53 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 28, 2011, 11:43:22 PM
I have always been disgusted at the IRA disappearing bodies
And I can only but reiterate that. Disappearing bodies is obscene and inhumane.

So as far as your comment above is concerned, I can only conclude that your only interest in this thread is not so much sympathy for the families, but hoping to score some sort of cheap political point.
So "disappearing bodies is obscene and inhumane"? What elements of the PIRA campaign were 'decent' and 'humane'?

And while you might consider it bad taste that attempts are made to 'score political points', it might be also be considered in bad taste to use that defense to avoid pertinent issues. I don't for a second doubt that anyone on here has anything but massive sympathies with the families. That doesn't mean we have to ignore some 'inconvenient' aspects.

Maguire01

Quote from: haveaharp on November 05, 2013, 02:07:06 PM
I wonder how many of the henchmen that actually did the deed and buried these people are now dead themselves and maybe the knowledge of one or two of the burial places are gone for ever.
I'd imagine that's a major issue, and I suspect some of the bodies will never be recovered.

Rossfan

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 05, 2013, 05:17:08 PM
Are you suggesting that nobody condemned them at the time? Or considered them awful occurrences at the time?
Just read what I said and take it at face value and don't be coming over all Lawyer cross examining.
If I said "today is Tuesday" - would you counter with " Are you suggesting someone said it wasn't?"  ??? :o

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
Just read what I said and take it at face value and don't be coming over all Lawyer cross examining.
If I said "today is Tuesday" - would you counter with " Are you suggesting someone said it wasn't?"  ??? :o
:D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 05, 2013, 05:25:04 PM

So as far as your comment above is concerned, I can only conclude that your only interest in this thread is not so much sympathy for the families, but hoping to score some sort of cheap political point.
So "disappearing bodies is obscene and inhumane"? What elements of the PIRA campaign were 'decent' and 'humane'?

And while you might consider it bad taste that attempts are made to 'score political points', it might be also be considered in bad taste to use that defense to avoid pertinent issues. I don't for a second doubt that anyone on here has anything but massive sympathies with the families. That doesn't mean we have to ignore some 'inconvenient' aspects.

Maguire, get over yourself. I've never shied away from condemning what you'd love to believe I find "inconvenient". Believing the IRA has a right to use force doesn't mean I believe that every action they did was justifiable. I'll condemn the disappearing of bodies all day long if need be. No inconvenience to me at all, you'll be disappointed to hear.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lawnseed

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 05, 2013, 05:48:10 PM

Maguire, get over yourself. I've never shied away from condemning what you'd love to believe I find "inconvenient". Believing the IRA has a right to use force doesn't mean I believe that every action they did was justifiable. I'll condemn the disappearing of bodies all day long if need be. No inconvenience to me at all, you'll be disappointed to hear.
and yet you indulge him every time.. you know what hes like :P
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
I thought I did take it at face value - otherwise I don't understand why you specifically said 'now'. The thing is, there are a lot of people who do condemn it now, but couldn't have condemned it then. If you're not one of them, fair enough.

Maguire01

As the context is 'political point scoring', my reference to 'inconvenient' aspects were the allegations of who was involved. Of course you don't find it inconvenient to condemn the disappearing of bodies - that's now official party policy.

Wildweasel74

The atttiude of McKee, an old man (with no sense from what i seen) having no problem shooting a woman, but wouldn't be burying says alot about the mentality of the day and even now his attitude seems no different, A relic of the past much in the way gusty spence would be on the uvf side. Its worrying how much weight Gerry kelly carry's in this day and age, along with the pup Billy Hutchinson gaining support to, these ancient relics should  be put out to pasture and let the younger generation with no bitterness in them run the country.

Some terrible things happened  in the troubles, the shootings on bloody sunday, the killing of the girl at uda drinking den cause they though she was a catholic, the killing of the young girl in portadown at the mobile shop,, the worrying thing about J McConville was them coming into the house, chasing the children upstairs, then kidnapping her and taking her to her death. they had no problem leaving chidlren with no parents

What sort of  madmen were running through northern ireland in the 70`s and 80`s, people call it a war (i wouldnt), then if thats the case these surely are war crimes, we look back aghast now, but back then the rest of the world must have looked at us as a bunch of animals, and the modern day equivalent of Somali even though we were supposed to be part of the developed world.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 05, 2013, 07:03:08 PM

As the context is 'political point scoring', my reference to 'inconvenient' aspects were the allegations of who was involved. Of course you don't find it inconvenient to condemn the disappearing of bodies - that's now official party policy.

I've always found such acts totally disgusting. Implying I ever thought otherwise, without evidence nor reason, is fairly pathetic. Again, just because you wish something were true to claim about me, doesn't make it so, and again, apologies at how that must disappoint you.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

theticklemister

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2013, 02:20:26 PM
I wouldn't place much weight on the allegations from Brendan Hughes. No honour among thieves and all that.

aye Brendan Hughes was some thief

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on November 05, 2013, 01:14:37 PM
not good at all. the fact that the programme was shown on both state broadcasters on the same night is interesting..

hundreds of show like this could be made from 'would be republicans' offing their neighbours in the twenties to get their land to politicians not long dead murdering republican prisoners and blowing about it in pubs. that's the problem with guerrilla warfare individuals carry out atrocities under the guise of a cause when it can be over something like a row in a pub or over a women. either way Gerry is a liability to the sinn fein party more so than ever he needs to step aside as soon as possible. tomorrow would not be soon enough.. i'd say the gimp Kenny and mehole martian were cracking open the champers last night.

You are the gimp trying to deflect on Kenny and Martin, the blood is on the hands of your heroes.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.