Girl taken from roma family in Dublin

Started by Bensars, October 22, 2013, 01:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 25, 2013, 08:01:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 25, 2013, 06:59:54 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 25, 2013, 06:54:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 25, 2013, 05:27:23 PM
Turns out the Greek Roma couple were telling the truth. The feckers. All that prejudice for nothing.
Eh, have they not changed their story several times?

They said they got the child from a couple in Bulgaria from a woman who said she couldn't afford to raise it.

What other story did they have?
"During questioning, the couple gave at least five conflicting accounts of how the child ended up with them, including that she was found outside a supermarket, police said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/21/us-greece-girl-idUSBRE99I05W20131021

I would place emphasis on the last two words in your quote.

Maguire01

Quote from: tyssam5 on October 25, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
Turns out the Greek Roma couple were telling the truth. The feckers. All that prejudice for nothing.

They said they got the child from a couple in Bulgaria from a woman who said she couldn't afford to raise it.

"During questioning, the couple gave at least five conflicting accounts of how the child ended up with them, including that she was found outside a supermarket, police said."

The Smile of the Child charity told the BBC that medical examinations show Maria is in fact either five or six years old and not four as was previously reported, after a birth certificate was found to be a forgery.

The couple had registered different numbers of children with different regional family registries.

The Greek authorities say the couple were in possession of false papers which suggested the woman had given birth to six children within a 10-month period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24605954

Given the above, I'm not sure on what basis you're dismissing the police account.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 09:01:46 AM

The Smile of the Child charity told the BBC that medical examinations show Maria is in fact either five or six years old and not four as was previously reported, after a birth certificate was found to be a forgery.

The couple had registered different numbers of children with different regional family registries.

The Greek authorities say the couple were in possession of false papers which suggested the woman had given birth to six children within a 10-month period.

Given the above, I'm not sure on what basis you're dismissing the police account.

None of that changes the fact that they were telling the truth as to where the girl came from.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 12:48:14 PM

None of that changes the fact that they were telling the truth as to where the girl came from.
Apart from the bit that they "gave at least five conflicting accounts of how the child ended up with them"?

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

Apart from the bit that they "gave at least five conflicting accounts of how the child ended up with them"?

They were charged with adducting a minor. Turns out their story was true. They may be a lesser charge of falsifying documents which would explain their non-release to date, or it could be the drugs raid, which was the original agenda of the cops in the first place, yielded results.

In the Dublin story, word got out that there was a false passport and that the mother's account of where and when the child was born was not true. This could easily be seen as 'conflicting accounts'. In the end the Dublin mother was found to be telling the truth, it was just assumed she was lying.

I don't know the full details but I am certain her truthful account of where the child came from was not believed until they found the real mother who verified it.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 03:11:09 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

They were charged with adducting a minor. Turns out their story was true. They may be a lesser charge of falsifying documents which would explain their non-release to date, or it could be the drugs raid, which was the original agenda of the cops in the first place, yielded results.

In the Dublin story, word got out that there was a false passport and that the mother's account of where and when the child was born was not true. This could easily be seen as 'conflicting accounts'. In the end the Dublin mother was found to be telling the truth, it was just assumed she was lying.

I don't know the full details but I am certain her truthful account of where the child came from was not believed until they found the real mother who verified it.
Their eventual story. One of their initial claims was that they found her outside a supermarket. The Dublin case is not the same - there were no conflicting accounts from the parents - what they told the authorities from the start was proven to be the truth.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 03:56:34 PM
Their eventual story. One of their initial claims was that they found her outside a supermarket. The Dublin case is not the same - there were no conflicting accounts from the parents - what they told the authorities from the start was proven to be the truth.

Nothing changes the fact that they told the cops a Bulgarian woman had given them the child, and that story turned out to be true.

Both couples were suspected of abducting a child.

Both couples were not believed by the authorities, nor the media, when they explained how they came to have the children.

Both couples have been vindicated and have proven they didn't abduct the children.

MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 04:19:09 PM

Nothing changes the fact that they told the cops a Bulgarian woman had given them the child, and that story turned out to be true.

Yes, that's the story they eventually told the cops. That story turned out to be true. The other stories - the one that they found her outside a supermarket, for example - didn't.

Yes, the authorities probably could have handled things better. Elements of the media definitely could have. But when the accused are giving multiple conflicting stories, it's hardly strange when it's viewed with suspicion. I think the Greek case is very different to the Irish ones in that respect.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 06:41:00 PM

Yes, that's the story they eventually told the cops. That story turned out to be true. The other stories - the one that they found her outside a supermarket, for example - didn't.

Yes, the authorities probably could have handled things better. Elements of the media definitely could have. But when the accused are giving multiple conflicting stories, it's hardly strange when it's viewed with suspicion. I think the Greek case is very different to the Irish ones in that respect.

This wasn't a sensational world story because of conflicting stories given by travelling people while being raided by the cops. I really don't know why you are arguing this.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 06:47:16 PM

This wasn't a sensational world story because of conflicting stories given by travelling people while being raided by the cops. I really don't know why you are arguing this.
The only point i'm arguing is you saying "Turns out the Greek Roma couple were telling the truth."
Unlike the Irish families, who told one story - the truth, it would appear there were a lot of different versions of the 'truth' for the cops to work through in Greece.
But yes, there's little point in arguing this any further if you don't want to acknowledge that difference.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 07:17:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 06:47:16 PM

The only point i'm arguing is you saying "Turns out the Greek Roma couple were telling the truth."
Unlike the Irish families, who told one story - the truth, it would appear there were a lot of different versions of the 'truth' for the cops to work through in Greece.
But yes, there's little point in arguing this any further if you don't want to acknowledge that difference.

The Irish family also had their stories dismissed as not believable.

Otherwise on what basis were the Irish based children taken into custody?

The Greek couple told the truth and were proven correct.

Your inability to accept this is nuts.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/10392700/Maria-mystery-deepens-with-claims-her-father-came-to-visit.html

The police have refused to comment on the claims.

The arrested couple allegedly gave police varying accounts as to how she came to be with them, at one point claiming that she had been abandoned outside a supermarket, and at another saying that she been given to them by her Bulgarian mother. Yesterday, a British expert on missing persons inquiries said that the appeal through Interpol had generated a huge response.

These two statements might even be compatible, who knows? The Bulgarian mother may have given the child to them at outside a supermarket.

MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

I'd respond, but if only be repeating myself.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 26, 2013, 09:32:11 PM
I'd respond, but if only be repeating myself.

They have been charged with child abduction and remanded in custody pending trial.

They said the got her from her biological mother, a Bulgarian, who couldn't afford to raise her.

This has been independently confirmed by the Bulgarian mother which DNA has confirmed is the real mother.

Everything else could be explained by the stress of a police raid and arrest, lack of education of the Roma couple, poor translation and any number of other possibilities and frankly is irrelevant now. Unless there is new information which we haven't been made aware of.
MWWSI 2017