Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Jonah on October 17, 2013, 10:42:24 PM

Didn't know Iceland had qualified until I saw someone mention it on here.

They haven't yet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

I married into a Spanish family so I have a decent chance of a few good excuses to got to the pub at unusual hours.

I live in England and I generally don't equate their football team with any historic or nationalist issues. I don't mind how they do and for the pleasure it gives many of my English friends I am happy for them to do well.

I often get people having a go at my patriotism for not supporting the Rep. of Ireland football team. They are just a team in a sport I have little more than a passing interest in. I don't take interest in athletics or equestrian sports either but no one questions it then. I wish them well because they are Irish naturally.

As for English football. Probably by the time the world cup rolls around the media will have hung Roy Hodgeson and it didn't take long with is 'racist' non-event.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 11:21:25 PM
Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 11:15:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
What has "cheering for Rooney" etc got to do with anything?
When you are cheering for Rooney with Man United, you are also cheering for Robin Van Persie and loads of other nationalities. At the same time, you are cheering against Lampard, Gerrard etc.
I cheer for England because we are far more culturally similar to them than to any other country and because of the huge enjoyment the Barclays Premier League™ gives me.
You're just a fcukwit.
Why? Do you not think they're valid reasons for supporting England?

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 11:24:44 PM
Firstly, no, I dont think those reasons are very valid.

Secondly, that's not the reason I call you a fcukwit.
Why aren't they valid?

Does your reason for hating England amount to anything more than a hatred of English people?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thejuice on October 17, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
I married into a Spanish family so I have a decent chance of a few good excuses to got to the pub at unusual hours.

I live in England and I generally don't equate their football team with any historic or nationalist issues. I don't mind how they do and for the pleasure it gives many of my English friends I am happy for them to do well.

I often get people having a go at my patriotism for not supporting the Rep. of Ireland football team. They are just a team in a sport I have little more than a passing interest in. I don't take interest in athletics or equestrian sports either but no one questions it then. I wish them well because they are Irish naturally.

As for English football. Probably by the time the world cup rolls around the media will have hung Roy Hodgeson and it didn't take long with is 'racist' non-event.

Be careful though, I was called a hun for having a go at Celtic, sorry he posted that I was worse than a hun  :-[
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 11:15:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
What has "cheering for Rooney" etc got to do with anything?
When you are cheering for Rooney with Man United, you are also cheering for Robin Van Persie and loads of other nationalities. At the same time, you are cheering against Lampard, Gerrard etc.
I cheer for England because we are far more culturally similar to them than to any other country and because of the huge enjoyment the Barclays Premier League™ gives me.

The English, like Protestants in the North, don't have a culture.

I dont understand why anyone from Ireland would support England.

muppet

No one talking up Spain at all? Surely they would be seen as likely to make the last 4 and should be dangerous from there.

Brazil will be good. Argentina in Brazil will be good. Germany and Italy will do what they always do and get to the latter stages. Holland won't. Belgium might cause a surprise or two but you don't come from nowhere to winning  World Cup in another continent.

Last 4 Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy/Argentina.

Last 2 Brazil Spain.

Winner Brazil.
MWWSI 2017

JimStynes

I love watching the Germans at the big tournaments.

Sidney

Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 11:39:44 PM

Whoah. Flesh that out a bit there.

Does Ireland have a culture?

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 11:41:51 PM
They like fish & chips and so does Sidney.
Do you like fish and chips or would you avoid them for fear of becoming culturally less pure? If you don't like them purely on the basis that you don't like the taste, would you respect the right of other Irish people to eat fish and chips?

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on October 18, 2013, 12:11:38 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 11:39:44 PM

Whoah. Flesh that out a bit there.

Does Ireland have a culture?

Yes.

Here is your national anthem in your own language

(to the air of GSTQ)

Owa tana siam
Owa tana siam
I Yamut wit

Owa Taphoo Lamai
Owa Taphoo Lamai
Owas tana siam
Owa tash height

(With apologies to Ronnie Barker)
MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

Quote from: muppet on October 17, 2013, 11:51:13 PM
No one talking up Spain at all? Surely they would be seen as likely to make the last 4 and should be dangerous from there.

Brazil will be good. Argentina in Brazil will be good. Germany and Italy will do what they always do and get to the latter stages. Holland won't. Belgium might cause a surprise or two but you don't come from nowhere to winning  World Cup in another continent.

Last 2 Brazil Spain.

Winner Brazil.

Argentina are a lot better than Italy. The Argies won't have Diego dragging them back this time.

trileacman

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 18, 2013, 02:01:12 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 17, 2013, 11:51:13 PM

Last 2 Brazil Spain.

Winner Brazil.

Argentina are a lot better than Italy. The Argies won't have Diego dragging them back this time.

They sent a great side in '06 and were beaten in the Q-F by a middling Kraut side. The Krauts has a great side defeated by a Italian team in serious transition at the last Euro's. Guessing the Semi-finalists on current form is piss, there'll be a outsider in there. Sure didn't Turkey and South Korea make the semi's in '02.

I would almost guarantee that the Brazilians won't win it without the help of some serious home-town refereeing. They are good enough but I expect them to shit the nest like the last time they hosted it. Nothing short of FIFA pulling some serious moves for them or the ref giving them more than the average share of winners luck will let them claim the 2nd world cup trophy as there own.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggy90

Quote from: Hound on October 17, 2013, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 17, 2013, 02:02:46 PM
This was some goal by Argentina in 06 WC,.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE
Knocked out in the Quarters which was a pity. Messi has yet to score a goal in the WC asaik
Lovely goal, but should be called a 7 pass goal rather than a 25 pass goal. For the first 18 passes they went precisely nowhere.

Apart from the excitement of some Ireland games I'm still waiting on a World Cup to surpass 82 and 86.

They were good Hound but 70 was epic. The best finals ever.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Thirty years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming

That was in 1996
And it never got any better, did it?
I fink it is always the sun wot loses it.