Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Like to see England get to the semis for a laugh.

Semi Finals:

Germany 0 England 0. Germany to win 9-8 on pens
Brazil 5 Argentina 4

Final

Brazil 4 Germany 1

3/4 play-off

Argentina 6 England 0

Tournament darlings: Iceland or Iran

Tournament villains: Ecuador

Tournament flops: Belgium

Top scorer: Suarez
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

I support Brazil as always, plus hope Holland do well, Like to see england to progress a bit to built up false hopes and the bandwagon rolling, only for it to come crumbling down round the last 8/semi on the biggest nite in fball since 1966, Am just a sadist to inflict football pain on those unsuspecting england football fans who lose the run of themselves before the world cup lol

Jell 0 Biafra

Argentina seriously underachieved the past two tournaments (a too cautious coach in Germany, and a guy who couldn't coach last time out).  If they can get their act together, they'll take it.

rodney trotter

I thought they played super football in 06, but met the Germans in the Quarter finals and lost on pens. The last WC, they were poor. Messi has yet to shine in a World Cup, next year at 27 he should click and deliver.

Farrandeelin

I will probably go for Holland. Always liked them, for no particular reason.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

trileacman

Argies were unlucky in Germany, played some great stuff and narrowly lost to the Krauts. South African WC was f**king shite, a bunch of Dutch hatchet men disgracing the memory of Cruyff and VanBasten nearly won it. T'was scutter.

I used to enjoy the English falling flat on their faces, (Portugese were gas men for tumbling the Saxons back in the day) but of late I've lost my appetite for it. There is too much realism in the press that England don't have players nowadays and are miles behind the football world in terms of development. It's not as much fun seeing them crash and burn when they all see it coming. It's the Irish press that have assumed this mantle of inflated self-worth and bestowed it upon the national team.

Would like to see the Argies do well, had a real nice team in '06, Ayala, Riqueleme, and it was disappointing to see them beat by a technically inferior German side. Would also be backing the Belgians and Uruguayans.

Never cared for the Dutch and really disliked them since 2010, likewise the Italians who have always seemed to do alot with very little. I don't buy into the whole Brazil "joga bonita" thing. T'is like going to a match and supporting the band.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AQMP

Argentina.  Have supported them since 1974 when they had a player called Carlos Babington.  Just thought it was a great name!

Corner Forward

I wouldn't say I will be supporting them but would like Brazil or Belgium to win. Generally find it hard to get worked up about international football-all the Home nations and Ireland are absolutely brutal to watch. Personally have no great liking or disliking towards England, as a united fan find it strange when people cheer for rooney and co one week and then hope they get beat the next. Anyone know when group draw is being made?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

glens abu

Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 17, 2013, 12:27:31 PM
I'm glad England are there. The inevitable meltdown and fallout is great entertainment....must be what it's like for other counties looking at Mayo... :P

Seriously though, England are going to get destroyed out there. I'll be on my hands and knees hoping we get drawn in same group as England on 23rd February for Euro 2016.

England,Ireland,Slovenia,Armenia,Iceland and Gibraltar(going to be in it) would be a lovely group with some cracking away trips.
Let's hope that the Irish will be able to deal with any shots fired at them in Gibraltar in the away match, unlike in the past.

Arsehole

Zulu

Quote from: Corner Forward on October 17, 2013, 09:50:21 PM
I wouldn't say I will be supporting them but would like Brazil or Belgium to win. Generally find it hard to get worked up about international football-all the Home nations and Ireland are absolutely brutal to watch. Personally have no great liking or disliking towards England, as a united fan find it strange when people cheer for rooney and co one week and then hope they get beat the next. Anyone know when group draw is being made?

Why's that strange, do you not shout for your county players but when they are in action against your own club shout against them?

tommysmith

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 09:59:18 PM
Quote from: Corner Forward on October 17, 2013, 09:50:21 PM

Why's that strange, do you not shout for your county players but when they are in action against your own club shout against them?

But the County players are not playing against his club as they didn't qualify.

Zulu

But you still might shout against county players in a game not involving your own club. What if England were playing Mexico can you not shout for one of them even though both teams would have United players? I don't see the contradiction in shouting against players from the club you support when they are playing with someone else that you have no connection to.

Jonah

Don't really care who wins but it be nice to see someone other than the usual suspects win. Will be shouting for the underdogs like Bosnia & Herzegovina and the likes.
New Zealand were a great success story at the last World Cup even if they didn't qualify for the 2nd round they still put up a great showing.
Didn't know Iceland had qualified until I saw someone mention it on here.

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
What has "cheering for Rooney" etc got to do with anything?
When you are cheering for Rooney with Man United, you are also cheering for Robin Van Persie and loads of other nationalities. At the same time, you are cheering against Lampard, Gerrard etc.
I cheer for England because we are far more culturally similar to them than to any other country and because of the huge enjoyment the Barclays Premier League™ gives me.