Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 12:36:30 PM
Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 12:24:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 12:09:25 PM
Supporting England? This is obviously a wind-up?
Why would you not support your nearest participating neighbours?

It's no different to, say, a Roscommon person supporting Mayo, or a Limerick person supporting Clare in an All-Ireland final.

Its very different.

It's the same thing - which is why no Irish person in their right mind should be cheering for England.
English people are usually very supportive of Ireland when England are not playing. Clare people generally cheer for Limerick if Clare are not playing, even though Limerick is trying to invade it. Surely you'd cheer for Kilkenny given that Waterford continue to try to invade Kilkenny's sovereign territory, even if out of guilt?

Sidney

Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 01:00:12 PM

Try 800 years, dude.

As much as I dislike Tyrone, they only beat us in a few games of football. Same with any GAA rivalry. Its so much more where England are involved.

What about Scotland and Wales?

deiseach

Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 01:07:49 PM
English people are usually very supportive of Ireland when England are not playing. Clare people generally cheer for Limerick if Clare are not playing, even though Limerick is trying to invade it. Surely you'd cheer for Kilkenny given that Waterford continue to try to invade Kilkenny's sovereign territory, even if out of guilt?

Sidney

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 01:11:28 PM

Ah here, Star Trek FFS. No need for that.

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 01:11:28 PM

Where's Olly?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 01:12:01 PM
This probably doesn't help either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhQp8ENmzs
I wouldn't get too worked up over a bunch of pissed up insurance salesmen acting the yob in Dublin considering what the Irish have done in English cities.

Milltown Row2

When played in the Americas it's usually a team from there, so any betting should be placed on the locals, Brazil and Argentina being the obvious ones.

Hopefully England get put out in the second round as they normally get through the first stage, just
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Apparently so

England can go f**k, shower of arrogant, hateful bastards. Hope they get put in Germany`s group and get mauled to pieces

I`ll be going for Argentina. They will be the best to watch with Messi and Aguero up top - frightening partnership when on form

AZOffaly

I love the World Cup. Always have. Even when I was jaded of soccer, I still loved watching the big international tournaments, and the World Cup reminds me of summer evenings watching Rossi, Zico, Platini, Rummenige, Mattheus, Robson, Socrates, Zoff and hundreds of others.

I normally prefer when Ireland are not involved because I don't get nervous about their games, so I'll be looking forward to Brazil hugely.

As with most soccer fans, I have a soft spot for Brazil, when they are expressing themselves. During the mid 90s especially, they were turned into a dour, professional type unit and the 1994 world cup winners were very dull. I'll be hoping they do well, as the tournament will be all the better for it.

I also always have a soft spot for Italy, despite the fact that they are almost the anti-Brazil in terms of approach sometimes. I still love watching the Azzuri jerseys, that anthem and their passion for the game.

I will also hope Argentina do well, along with a lot of Irish people it seems. I hope it's not a falklands thing :D

Finally, I would love England to do well as well. I like the English players, most of them anyway, and I think their expectation level will be low this time. Of course I hate the S*n type media who will be insufferable, but most English people I know and work with are A1. I hope they have a great tournament.

J OGorman

Glad England qualified and that the Bogside Inn has reopened as its always decked in the colours of England's opponents which is good craic. More interest with England there, the usual build up, then balls up.

Will be interesting to see how Belgium get on. Would be surprised if the Geeeeeeeeeeemans dont win it. Usually come close with teams not near the same level as what they have at their disposal now.

Will be supporting whatever country Saurez plays for

rodney trotter

This was some goal by Argentina in 06 WC,.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE
Knocked out in the Quarters which was a pity. Messi has yet to score a goal in the WC asaik

Hound

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 17, 2013, 02:02:46 PM
This was some goal by Argentina in 06 WC,.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE
Knocked out in the Quarters which was a pity. Messi has yet to score a goal in the WC asaik
Lovely goal, but should be called a 7 pass goal rather than a 25 pass goal. For the first 18 passes they went precisely nowhere.

Apart from the excitement of some Ireland games I'm still waiting on a World Cup to surpass 82 and 86.

muppet

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 17, 2013, 02:02:46 PM

Goal against Argentina, one pass, much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Yeah that was an unbelievable goal. Suppose the Argie goal was more about team play. The commentator didn't get to excited about the Bergkamp finish. :)

johnneycool

Have Uruguay qualified yet or are they likely to?