Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2013, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 10, 2013, 11:31:40 AM
I just find this whole 'representing your country' schtick from the players a bit shallow.
They should feel in no way inferior just because gaelic football does not have a true international dimension.
I doubt Tom Brady of the New England Patriots or Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees lie awake at night dreaming of the day they get to represent the USA in football or baseball.
A lot of players are moaning now that Michael Murphy is being forced to choose between a championship final with his club and playing in the makey-uppey rules series.
Some of them would want a reality check.

Let's not get to comparing the size of our schticks.

I'm sure if the US got American Football on the Olympic schedule the likes of Tom Brady would be happy enough to tag along.

Yeah but it wont and you don't see them making up hybrid games just for the sake of it.

tommysmith

Quote from: rrhf on October 10, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 09:35:15 AM
Quote from: rrhf on October 09, 2013, 11:19:26 PM
Hope they kick the dung out of each other.

you hope our county footballers get the dung kicked out of them by the pro's from australia, really? cool

Well if you want to box, lets box!

It's the only thing that makes it watchable. 

It's poor enough to watch on TV but its  worse  to watch live.

muppet

Quote from: tommysmith on October 10, 2013, 01:34:37 PM
I just find this whole 'representing your country' schtick from the players a bit shallow.
They should feel in no way inferior just because gaelic football does not have a true international dimension.
I doubt Tom Brady of the New England Patriots or Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees lie awake at night dreaming of the day they get to represent the USA in football or baseball.
A lot of players are moaning now that Michael Murphy is being forced to choose between a championship final with his club and playing in the makey-uppey rules series.

I'm sure if the US got American Football on the Olympic schedule the likes of Tom Brady would be happy enough to tag along.

Yeah but it wont and you don't see them making up hybrid games just for the sake of it.

Really?

Where do you think all of these games came from? Did the Red Indians play American Football?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

I don't give two flying fcuks what Jinxy or Tommysmith or Tom Brady or any other floot thinks - I'm going to Breffni and am seriously considering Croker as well.
So there !!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchardman

I'm a fan of the general concept, and went to watch it in croker in 06 and 2010 when on, though it was poor enough fair to be honest.

What I don't agree with is the talk about county final getting moved. Maybe other club games, but not championship, certainly not finals. Put it this way, karl lacey has made the papers by tweeting nonsense about the disgrace of murphy having to choose between club and country! what is a disgrace is idea of moving it to accommodate one man. Killybegs have rightly refused, as they have an anniversary dinner that night where past players are flying in from abroad as this date has been set in stone. Why should they agree to a move?

Jinxy

Because intercounty players are starting to believe their own hype.
In playing terms, you're born out of your club and you'll go back there to die.
They'd do well to remember that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

deiseach

I've been to two International Living matches and thoroughly enjoyed them both. It's rare to go to Croke Park and find everyone rooting for the same team. I'd add this caveat. When I said as much to a Kerry man of my acquaintance in college at the time, a quiet-spoken man not inclined to be a Kingdom blowhard like some I could mention, he grimaced and said "it's bit bland if you ask me". It's not for everyone.

trileacman

Yeah it's nothing without the brawling, the only redeemable feature really.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

Totally agree. You can't just drop everything at this time of the year, especially much respected County finals? If there was a level of respect from the Aussies for the game both on and off the field you might feel guilty about it. But this has just been reduced to a novelty road show by the Aussies this year.

Look I wish the economy of Cavan well over the weekend. If there is a big crowd hopefully they will boost the local economy there.

rodney trotter

County final scenario is a joke anyway. Most counties should have them played by this weekend. Dublin, Mayo few like that being an exception.

Coolio

Quote from: tommysmith on October 10, 2013, 01:34:37 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that Tommy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmcTGvBFMVM
We're the devils men...

rrhf

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on October 10, 2013, 06:04:58 PM
Do ye all realise the damage this does to club football

Yes.

Everyone will up schticks and head to Cavan to watch it, in preference to even togging out let alone watching the Club Championship.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

The jewel of the crown in the GAA isn't get a chance here lads. 

Wildweasel74