Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: AFS on October 08, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 08, 2013, 05:58:19 PM
McKeever Everyone in orange was terrible against this year against Cavan, although I didn't see him play in any other games. He is a regular with the International Rules anyways. Captain in 2011 down Under. Played decent then

Fixed for you there. McKeever's experience of the game is probably what has him included. Hasn't been in great form for a while with Armagh, and will likely miss the first test with the county final on the following day.

With a few exceptions, that looks like a very big panel. Some of those lads wouldn't be great movers. Thought the trend in recent years was heading away from big men and towards faster, more mobile players.

Nah, McKeever was more noticeable than anyone else. Looked fckd after 20 minutes.

Glensman

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 08, 2013, 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: AFS on October 08, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 08, 2013, 05:58:19 PM
McKeever Everyone in orange was terrible against this year against Cavan, although I didn't see him play in any other games. He is a regular with the International Rules anyways. Captain in 2011 down Under. Played decent then

Fixed for you there. McKeever's experience of the game is probably what has him included. Hasn't been in great form for a while with Armagh, and will likely miss the first test with the county final on the following day.

With a few exceptions, that looks like a very big panel. Some of those lads wouldn't be great movers. Thought the trend in recent years was heading away from big men and towards faster, more mobile players.

Nah, McKeever was more noticeable than anyone else. Looked fckd after 20 minutes.

Speaking of McKeevers and putting those Saffron tinted glasses on again...no place for Niall McKeever? Had heard he may be coming home but not sure.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 08, 2013, 07:02:53 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 08, 2013, 06:45:04 PM
I don't know why people think players are more likely to sustain injuries in these two games. You think all the games a player might play throughout the year, all the training, all the weights, some probably play other sports in the winter. Don't see why players would not play because of the fear of injury.

Because they will be up against professional athletes that apparently hit harder than any gaelic footballer. Its no place for the smaller,lighter player thats for sure.

The Australian squad are a team of runts (with a few notable exceptions).

If want to see some fighting get one of the Irish lads to make a racist comment - that will bring on the biffo. It would be a good blue methinks - most of the Aboriginal lads have some idea how to fight.

StephenC

The Donegal co final date has not been moved so Murph will be playing a limited part (if any) in the first test. In fairness to the CCC, they had very little wriggle room with the fixtures with the Ulster club championship schedule fixed.

rodney trotter

Quote from: StephenC on October 09, 2013, 09:18:40 AM
The Donegal co final date has not been moved so Murph will be playing a limited part (if any) in the first test. In fairness to the CCC, they had very little wriggle room with the fixtures with the Ulster club championship schedule fixed.

Why is it taking an eternity to complete the Donegal Championship? Was there not a few rounds played in April. Donegal were out of the championship in early August.

theticklemister

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 09, 2013, 01:30:19 PM

Why is it taking an eternity to complete the Donegal Championship? Was there not a few rounds played in April. Donegal were out of the championship in early August.

They have a group stage of 4 teams I think and then ye just went enter the QF stage after that. So three games to get to the QF

rodney trotter

Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2013, 01:33:13 PM

They have a group stage of 4 teams I think and then ye just went enter the QF stage after that. So three games to get to the QF

Was there not 3 rounds run off in April?  I know in Dublin a few big name clubs like Plunketts were out in April

lenny

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 09, 2013, 01:39:43 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2013, 01:33:13 PM

I heard Sean cavanagh was doing a few coaching sessions on the tackle.

Was there not 3 rounds run off in April?  I know in Dublin a few big name clubs like Plunketts were out in April

rrhf

J OGorman

Quote from: rrhf on October 09, 2013, 11:19:26 PM
Hope they kick the dung out of each other.

you hope our county footballers get the dung kicked out of them by the pro's from australia, really? cool

OakleafCounty

rrhf

Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 09:35:15 AM
Quote from: rrhf on October 09, 2013, 11:19:26 PM
Hope they kick the dung out of each other.

you hope our county footballers get the dung kicked out of them by the pro's from australia, really? cool

Well if you want to box, lets box!

Jinxy

I just find this whole 'representing your country' schtick from the players a bit shallow.
They should feel in no way inferior just because gaelic football does not have a true international dimension.
I doubt Tom Brady of the New England Patriots or Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees lie awake at night dreaming of the day they get to represent the USA in football or baseball.
A lot of players are moaning now that Michael Murphy is being forced to choose between a championship final with his club and playing in the makey-uppey rules series.
Some of them would want a reality check.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on October 10, 2013, 11:31:40 AM
I just find this whole 'representing your country' schtick from the players a bit shallow.
They should feel in no way inferior just because gaelic football does not have a true international dimension.
I doubt Tom Brady of the New England Patriots or Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees lie awake at night dreaming of the day they get to represent the USA in football or baseball.
A lot of players are moaning now that Michael Murphy is being forced to choose between a championship final with his club and playing in the makey-uppey rules series.
Some of them would want a reality check.

Let's not get to comparing the size of our schticks.

I'm sure if the US got American Football on the Olympic schedule the likes of Tom Brady would be happy enough to tag along.

MWWSI 2017