Best team not to win an AI.

Started by moysider, September 25, 2013, 09:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What has been the best team not to win an AI since 1970?

Galway 1971-74
Roscommon 1977-1980
Mayo 1985/89
Mayo 1996/97
Mayo 04-06
Mayo 11-13
Tyrone 95/96

Syferus

Ffs, Sligo? They have a habit of one good year and a lot of mulch in-between. A bit like us but without silverware. If you're going to mention any Sligo side it'd be the Mickey Keirns-led team of the 70's.

The prince of corner-backs, Harry Keegan? Pat Lindsay? Dermot Earley? Tony Mac? Mickey Finneran was as talented as the lot of them but a fondness of the drink curtailed his career. This discussion was over before it started 8)

blanketattack

Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2013, 08:45:25 AM
Ffs, Sligo? They have a habit of one good year and a lot of mulch in-between. A bit like us but without silverware. If you're going to mention any Sligo side it'd be the Mickey Keirns-led team of the 70's.

The prince of corner-backs, Harry Keegan? Pat Lindsay? Dermot Earley? Tony Mac? Mickey Finneran was as talented as the lot of them but a fondness of the drink curtailed his career. This discussion was over before it started 8)

The team that lost by 17 points to Kerry?
Then again, a team that once lost by 17 points to Kerry won the All-Ireland 2 years later.

Cold tea

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2013, 07:07:20 AM
The most complete team I seen was Sligo in 02. They may have been a one year wonder but they produced the best performance in Croke park that year and should have beaten an Armagh team who were on their way to the big one.  I think the true all Ireland final was the quarter in 02 as they should have beaten Armagh, and history may have been so different

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Yeah they would have went on to beat Dublin and Kerry!

Cold tea

Or maybe you think they were so great because they hockeyed Tyrone in the qualifiers.  ;)

drici

Quote from: theticklemister on September 25, 2013, 10:18:05 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2013, 10:15:28 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 25, 2013, 10:07:33 PM
Derry from 91- (93) - 95

They won one ye in-bred gimp. Or wan wan.

but ye thick Tyrone hoorbag, we had different teams in the space of those years.

Should this belong to the neighbourly love thread????

Doire

Armaghtothebone

I still maintain that Sligo left one behind in 2002.  I have a lot of care for Armagh football but I think even the most die hard Armagh supporter realise that they were lucky to beat Sligo in their greatest ever year. To take that thought further, had Sligo managed to beat Armagh and were as obsessed with doing two in a row as Armagh were, would Tyrone have taken them in 03.  Would Mayo have got by them in 04 and 06.  Would Armagh have won Ulster in 05?

You have a point. In the last seconds of the drawn game one of the Sligo forwards was in one on one and chose to take a fisted point. Had he goaled who knows what might have been.

Cold tea

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on September 27, 2013, 05:15:58 PM
I still maintain that Sligo left one behind in 2002.  I have a lot of care for Armagh football but I think even the most die hard Armagh supporter realise that they were lucky to beat Sligo in their greatest ever year. To take that thought further, had Sligo managed to beat Armagh and were as obsessed with doing two in a row as Armagh were, would Tyrone have taken them in 03.  Would Mayo have got by them in 04 and 06.  Would Armagh have won Ulster in 05?

You have a point.
In the last seconds of the drawn game one of the Sligo forwards was in one on one and chose to take a fisted point. Had he goaled who knows what might have been.

No he hasn't Sligo had no All-Ireland in them that year.

CD

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 26, 2013, 08:33:41 PM
Quote from: CD on September 26, 2013, 08:13:06 PM
Surely this is a paradox! If they are the best team not to win an All Ireland then they can't be the best team ;)

I was at the Dublin v Tyrone final in 95. It's the only final I've been at when the best team didn't win so it has to get my vote. Canavan was a bit of a one man show that year - a few fairly average players around him.
what made Tyrone the best team that day?

Definitely not Paddy Russell ;)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Hardy

This is the bihatimber of gaaboard threads.

armaghniac

Armagh would have won 2 or 3 All Irelands, puke football would never have been invented and Mayo might even have won one.
Sligo has a lot to answer for!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Hell i throw in Limerick hurling, lost finals in 1994 and 1996, with the quality of players they had, they were unfortunate not to win one especially 1994

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2013, 02:16:55 PM

Armagh would have won 2 or 3 All Irelands, puke football would never have been invented and Mayo might even have won one.
Sligo has a lot to answer for!

There's still time to fight a rearguard action, 'Niac.