Dubs and their poor GAEILGE

Started by Orchardman, September 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

I think there's a lot of snobbery when it comes to speaking the Irish language - a lot of the time when someone who does not have perfect Irish speaks, they get shouted down by the language purists.

We should be encouraging as many people as possible to speak Irish, not complaining that they used the same phrase a few times
Hasta la victoria siempre

Puckoon

I often wondered do localisms spoken in english, in Ireland, multiple times a sentence (like, you know, ack sure etc) have Irish language counterparts based on local dialects, speaking habits et...

seafoid

Quote from: Puckoon on September 25, 2013, 03:32:42 AM
I often wondered do localisms spoken in english, in Ireland, multiple times a sentence (like, you know, ack sure etc) have Irish language counterparts based on local dialects, speaking habits et...
dhera I'd say so.

Jinxy

After Lee Chins efforts earlier on in the year (after which I was delighted Antrim beat them), I'd just as soon the winning captain didn't bother regurgitating a couple of memorised sentences as gaeilge rather than make an eejit of himself.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

clarshack

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
It's time to do away with speeches anyway imo.Lift the trophy and get on with it no need for silly speeches thanking the tea lady and ridiculous 3 cheers for the losing team.
They should also forget about the teams marching behind the band before the game.

agree. lift the trophy and do a lap of honour. no need for speeches.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: BennyCake on September 24, 2013, 11:09:30 PM
At least Geezer showed a bit of emotion when lifting Sam. You would have thought Cluxton's puppy had just been mowed down.

I'll send a memo to DUblin County Board to get this and the Irish thing sorted out for future All Ireland presentations and theres going to be lots of them. Thanks a million for pointing it out lads.

thejuice

Quote from: clarshack on September 25, 2013, 12:20:19 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
It's time to do away with speeches anyway imo.Lift the trophy and get on with it no need for silly speeches thanking the tea lady and ridiculous 3 cheers for the losing team.
They should also forget about the teams marching behind the band before the game.

agree. lift the trophy and do a lap of honour. no need for speeches.

I watched the final with a lad from Spain and another from England who loved the idea of having a speech and were delighted to see that somewhere in the world sportsmen weren't just corporate spokesmen and distant celebrities, who just spoke in innocuous circles of positive mental attitude.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Quote from: Orchardman on September 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM
Anyway, over the last 2 days I have been listening to interviews on the radio with dubs top gaeilgeoir coman goggins, we'll I've never heard so much nonsense in my life. Basically he said ' is docha' at the start or end of every sentence. There is no way he needed to ' I suppose' or probably in every sentence, pure bluffing if ever I heard it.

Don't ever eat in an Italian restaurant. Prego.

Orchardman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 25, 2013, 02:22:46 AM
I think there's a lot of snobbery when it comes to speaking the Irish language - a lot of the time when someone who does not have perfect Irish speaks, they get shouted down by the language purists.

We should be encouraging as many people as possible to speak Irish, not complaining that they used the same phrase a few times

Of course, let me add that there is nothing a detest more than snobbery in terms of irish or any other language. Those that think they are great at it, and give no time or respect to the problems of learners putting in the effort. I would consider myself to have a good understanding of the language, but I don't claim to know more than coggins by any means, I just pondered the needless throwing in of a phrase in every second line.

The main point is: Clucko didn't speak any irish

seafoid

Quote from: Orchardman on September 25, 2013, 02:20:39 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 25, 2013, 02:22:46 AM

Of course, let me add that there is nothing a detest more than snobbery in terms of irish or any other language. Those that think they are great at it, and give no time or respect to the problems of learners putting in the effort. I would consider myself to have a good understanding of the language, but I don't claim to know more than coggins by any means, I just pondered the needless throwing in of a phrase in every second line.

The main point is: Clucko didn't speak any irish
Getting Irish onto the curriculum of the schools in Dublin was a great achievement of the Free State. Even if Clucko may not have much Gaeilge an awful lot of Dubs do.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Orchardman on September 25, 2013, 02:20:39 PM

Of course, let me add that there is nothing a detest more than snobbery in terms of irish or any other language. Those that think they are great at it, and give no time or respect to the problems of learners putting in the effort. I would consider myself to have a good understanding of the language, but I don't claim to know more than coggins by any means, I just pondered the needless throwing in of a phrase in every second line.The main point is: Clucko didn't speak any irish

No you didn't just ponder the needless throwing in of a phrase. You accused Goggins of bluffing and claimed you had never heard so much nonsense in your whole life. Your original post is a masterclass in the snobbery you claim to detest!

deiseach

It's hard to know what makes Stephen Cluxton tick. He seems to be a man of few words so I'm guessing he decided to dispense with any he felt were unnecessary. I think the cupla focail is part of the ritual, but each to their own.

Bord na Mona man

If a player isn't a strong gaeilge speaker then he shouldn't feel the need to bother.
"Ta an athas orm" is as bad as "hip hip hooray"

If a player is going to say a cupla focail, he should say what he actually feels rather than rhyme off a couple of hackneyed phrases as a preamble. One Sean Og, Michael Connolly or Dara O Cinneide winning speech is worth a million others smirking through a cliché.

Which is half the problem with the teaching of the language. Not enough focus on the conversational and too much emphasis on the formulas and repetition.
When I think back to the productive school hours we spent chanting:
"Liom, Leat, Leis, Lei, Linn, Libh, Leo."
"Aris!"
"Liom, Leat, Leis, Lei, Linn, Libh, Leo."
"Aris!"

Dont Matter

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 25, 2013, 12:21:59 PM
I'll send a memo to DUblin County Board to get this and the Irish thing sorted out for future All Ireland presentations and theres going to be lots of them. Thanks a 7 million for handing us All Irelands lads.

I fixed your post as the young people would say.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Most of the country speaks English as their first language and has very little irish
Being a school teacher I'm sure Cluxton has plenty if Irish
And I actually thought he got sidelined slightly during his speech with all the dubs in the stand singing COYBIB!
Give the lad a break for fecks sake