Dubs and their poor GAEILGE

Started by Orchardman, September 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

Firstly, I wasn't expecting a classic speech from cluxton, can anyone remember what he said, as I don't. But surely a teacher like him could mutter one good sentence in irish when lifting the sam, is that too much to ask? Geezer didn't say any irish in 2002, so I can't defend Armagh on this but if jarly burns was still playing at least the whole thing would have been as gaeilge.

Anyway, over the last 2 days I have been listening to interviews on the radio with dubs top gaeilgeoir coman goggins, we'll I've never heard so much nonsense in my life. Basically he said ' is docha' at the start or end of every sentence. There is no way he needed to ' I suppose' or probably in every sentence, pure bluffing if ever I heard it.

Although it's great to hear anyone trying to speak irish, I think Dublin gaeilge turns my guts as it sounds so D4

squire_in_navy_slacks

Ciaran Kilkenny...........training to be an Irish teacher........maybe when hes captain he can give plenty of speeches as gaeilge  ::)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orchardman on September 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM
Firstly, I wasn't expecting a classic speech from cluxton, can anyone remember what he said, as I don't. But surely a teacher like him could mutter one good sentence in irish when lifting the sam, is that too much to ask? Geezer didn't say any irish in 2002, so I can't defend Armagh on this but if jarly burns was still playing at least the whole thing would have been as gaeilge.

Anyway, over the last 2 days I have been listening to interviews on the radio with dubs top gaeilgeoir coman goggins, we'll I've never heard so much nonsense in my life. Basically he said ' is docha' at the start or end of every sentence. There is no way he needed to ' I suppose' or probably in every sentence, pure bluffing if ever I heard it.

Although it's great to hear anyone trying to speak irish, I think Dublin gaeilge turns my guts as it sounds so D4

He said "LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! GET BACK!"

I know the history of the occasion probably got to him, but I always thought it was a shame that the greatest day for my county was marred a little by that intro, I find it hard to watch to this day. Once he started talking he wasn't too bad though.

Dirk Diggler

Most bleedin' Dubs do not be able to even speak de English, bud.

Didn't  we have one Dublin toerag as our Taoiseach not too long ago who didn't have a word of Irish and struggled badly with English

Drummerboy

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 24, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
Ciaran Kilkenny...........training to be an Irish teacher........maybe when hes captain he can give plenty of speeches as gaeilge  ::)

Looking forward to it too  8)

Orchardman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 24, 2013, 10:45:31 PM

Yea, I've heard him before, think he went to gaelscoil . Ger brennan has done a few things on TG4, and he's a bit better. In fact I would have brennan as captain anyway, one of my favourite dub players

Johnnybegood

Orchardman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2013, 10:49:32 PM

I know the history of the occasion probably got to him, but I always thought it was a shame that the greatest day for my county was marred a little by that intro, I find it hard to watch to this day. Once he started talking he wasn't too bad though.

I remember it well, but watching it since you can see sean mccague annoying him at the time by harping in his ear to speak to the crowd, though i'm sure it was a genuine concern. I was right at the back on the mass numbers on the field so I didn't realise how bad the squeeze was.

Unfortunately geezer, much as I admire him, had the touch of cluxton about him in that he lifted a lot of cups without barely breaking a smile. Difference with geezer though is that journalists consider him to be a fascinating character to interview, and it was said recently he was always the most helpful manager to speak with after games, win or lose.

laoislad

It's time to do away with speeches anyway imo.Lift the trophy and get on with it no need for silly speeches thanking the tea lady and ridiculous 3 cheers for the losing team.
They should also forget about the teams marching behind the band before the game.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orchardman on September 24, 2013, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2013, 10:49:32 PM

I remember it well, but watching it since you can see sean mccague annoying him at the time by harping in his ear to speak to the crowd, though i'm sure it was a genuine concern. I was right at the back on the mass numbers on the field so I didn't realise how bad the squeeze was.

Unfortunately geezer, much as I admire him, had the touch of cluxton about him in that he lifted a lot of cups without barely breaking a smile. Difference with geezer though is that journalists consider him to be a fascinating character to interview, and it was said recently he was always the most helpful manager to speak with after games, win or lose.

At least Geezer showed a bit of emotion when lifting Sam. You would have thought Cluxton's puppy had just been mowed down.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
It's time to do away with speeches anyway imo.Lift the trophy and get on with it no need for silly speeches thanking the tea lady and ridiculous 3 cheers for the losing team.
They should also forget about the teams marching behind the band before the game.

Anything else you'd like to get rid of?  National anthem? Artane Boys Band?  Only use traditions that they have in other sports?

Orchardman

Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2013, 11:08:38 PM
Was this a long winded way of attacking Goggins' Irish?

not really, not for me to say he has bad irish. I understood everything he said in the interview, which lasted over 10 mins, just thought it pure ridic that he said IS DOCHA about 30 times

BartSimpson

Sweet f**k.

Yous wud have moaned about thje coulr of our jocks if he spoke ala Galway's Connolly for fecs sake.

Some absolute clowns in here, go start a "jealous cos im not a Dub" thread For fecks sake. Assholes.
guwan the parish

BennyCake

Quote from: BartSimpson on September 25, 2013, 12:06:05 AM
Sweet f**k.

Yous wud have moaned about thje coulr of our jocks if he spoke ala Galway's Connolly for fecs sake.

Some absolute clowns in here, go start a "jealous cos im not a Dub" thread For fecks sake. Assholes.

I think you're more likely to see a "Thank f*ck I'm not a Dub" thread.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orchardman on September 24, 2013, 11:50:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2013, 11:08:38 PM
Was this a long winded way of attacking Goggins' Irish?

not really, not for me to say he has bad irish. I understood everything he said in the interview, which lasted over 10 mins, just thought it pure ridic that he said IS DOCHA about 30 times

Is it any worse than David Beckham's "you know"?