GAA Room 101

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 04, 2013, 11:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewtna

Yes they should play Extra Time, doesn't necessarily guarantee it's finished on the day but it should eliminate a lot of replays. Also why do they need to wait 3 weeks for the replay, a one week wait is enough and avoids ruining the club fixtures. The u21 final should be earlier in the calendar. There's plenty of occasions of playing a week later in the gaa. Fa cup replays were 5 days later. Grand Finals are played a week later. In the internet age the tickets could be organised in a matter of hours.
[/quote]

no they couldn't. how would the county boards screw everyone then - there wouldn't be time!

BennyCake

Quote from: johnneycool on September 10, 2013, 02:45:05 PM
The handshaking between the teams before a game, when did that shíte come in? Was it passed through congress?

Yes, that's a load of balls.

bluenosebandit

just a quick query, in terms of referreing.
A corner back is marking his man as tight as possible and the corner forward pushed off him, ie two hands in the chest, breaks away to make a run for the ball. Fair enough, its accepted.
If however, just before the ball is played in, the corner back anticipates and he pushes the corner forward in the chest in order to make a break for the ball, referee awards a free in.

Corner back says to the ref, "whats the difference? he pushed me to go for the ball, i pushed him to go for the ball?"
Ref's response, "he is the forward, he gets the advantage?" Result free in, yellow card for the defender

Why??????????????????????????

Shamrock Shore

Another question.

If a defender hand passes the ball back to the goalie who, in a complete clusterfuck misses it totally and it rolls into the net, what is the outcome?

Shamrock Shore

You cannot score a goal from a handpass!

theticklemister

Handshaking due to the new respect thingy.

Ye all talk balls sometimes. The replay is there to give the fellas a chance who have been training since January to win the game over 70 minutes.

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 11, 2013, 11:24:30 AM
Another question.

If a defender hand passes the ball back to the goalie who, in a complete clusterfuck misses it totally and it rolls into the net, what is the outcome?

New keeper.
MWWSI 2017

EC Unique

People who preach that hurling is 10 times the game that football is.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bluenosebandit on September 11, 2013, 10:19:47 AM
A corner back is marking his man as tight as possible and the corner forward pushed off him, ie two hands in the chest, breaks away to make a run for the ball. Fair enough, its accepted.
If however, just before the ball is played in, the corner back anticipates and he pushes the corner forward in the chest in order to make a break for the ball, referee awards a free in.

Corner back says to the ref, "whats the difference? he pushed me to go for the ball, i pushed him to go for the ball?"
Ref's response, "he is the forward, he gets the advantage?" Result free in, yellow card for the defender

There is no rule in it, Both are fouls, difference being it's harder to catch a forward push off a defender as the referee is watching the the play from where it is, it's played in and generally the referee wouldn't see it but will see a defender push a forward as he'll have followed flight of the ball. Most times though the defender is holding the attacker and not marking him tight as you have stated.

Quote from: EC Unique on September 11, 2013, 01:43:02 PM

People who preach that bog ball is times better than hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tubberman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2013, 01:47:37 PM

There is no rule in it, Both are fouls, difference being it's harder to catch a forward push off a defender as the referee is watching the the play from where it is, it's played in and generally the referee wouldn't see it but will see a defender push a forward as he'll have followed flight of the ball. Most times though the defender is holding the attacker and not marking him tight as you have stated.

Quote from: EC Unique on September 11, 2013, 01:43:02 PM

People who preach that bog ball is times better than hurling

People (especially GAA people) who refer to football as bog ball.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

johnneycool

brokencrossbar1

People who refer to GAA as 'the Gah'!  Hate that fecking phrase, normally comes from south side rugby heads, said in a derogatory fashion. 

CD

A good corner back anticipates the pass gets his nudge in early before the referee or linesmen have turned to follow the play - Karl Lacey and Keith Higgins are two of the best exponents of this around at the moment and I'm sure every club has a player who gets away with it every week! I agree (as a former defender) it is frustrating and a defender is far more likely to be penalised or booked for this tackle. It's always been part of the game however and if you're cute enough you can at least break even with your oponent
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

blewuporstuffed

Because every referee applies the laws differently in cases like this. A challenge that is a foul and a booking by a defender on a forward might not even get a free when it's the other way around.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Sidney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 11, 2013, 02:19:43 PM
People who refer to GAA as 'the Gah'!  Hate that fecking phrase, normally comes from south side rugby heads, said in a derogatory fashion.
"Gah" is a reasonably widely used term for Gaelic football throughout Dublin, even by some people who play it. If anything I would say it is used more in working class areas.