GAA Room 101

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 04, 2013, 11:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2013, 04:25:16 PM
QuoteBut suresponse. w is worth a fortune to the GAA. So why kill the golden goose?

Yes- which benefits almost every club ultimately in Ireland.

WTF is there all this focus on the money (Grab All Association yada yada yada) when it all drips down to provinces, counties and clubs. The extra 3 mill or whatever generated by the replay can be used to develop hurling in the wastelands of Leitrim, Longford, Roscommon, additional funds towards the players' funds, more grants to build dressing rooms, gyms, equipment et al and not to line some pockets.
Totally agree. Seems like an example of something being said often enough it becomes the standard response. Brilliant game yesterday with both counties having cause to be happy with a second chance.

Grab All Association, Dublin taximan lingo.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2013, 04:25:16 PM
QuoteBut sure a draw is worth a fortune to the GAA. So why kill the golden goose?

Yes- which benefits almost every club ultimately in Ireland.

WTF is there all this focus on the money (Grab All Association yada yada yada) when it all drips down to provinces, counties and clubs. The extra 3 mill or whatever generated by the replay can be used to develop hurling in the wastelands of Leitrim, Longford, Roscommon, additional funds towards the players' funds, more grants to build dressing rooms, gyms, equipment et al and not to line some pockets.

Speak for yerselves, Ros hurling has always punched far above it's weight. Besides that you're totally correct.

Hardy

It's also the angle in nearly every media report on the draw today. One comic rag has the GAA "hoovering up" €2.5M. There's something odd going on when the amateur GAA is the organisation that attracts comment about its income when we seldom hear the media even mention the money the professional sports organisations make. I certainly don't recall ever hearing what the income from a soccer or rugby international was. It's particularly odd when you consider the dodgy dealing that goes on in many professional sports

Captain Obvious

Old blokes with transistor radios at games who are always more interested in the radio telling them about some other game.

muppet

Quote from: highorlow on September 09, 2013, 10:03:01 AM
Bouncing Points.

These should not be allowed to count!

I agree and this rule should be implemented retrospectively.
MWWSI 2017

anglocelt39

Returned bankrupt broadcaster Ivan Yates was having a bit of the Grab All Association line this morning in an attempt to grab more ratings I suppose, not sure what the extent of Ivan's hands on involvement with the GAA might be ;) apart from accepting the odd corporate ticket gig I suppose
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Shamrock Shore

Ivan Yates can go and fcuk off back to Wales. He got shag all sympathy from the listening public when he poured out his woes on the radio.

Anyway I am not sure who he is aiming that 'Grab All' jibe all. Most Jayzesing, Daily Star buying, John Player Blue smokin, Dubbellin taxi drivers would be listening to FM104 or Spin106 or, if they were a wee bit more sensitive, listen to Q102 or 98FM.

Cnuts the lot of them and bad cess to their hatred for all things GAA >:(

An Gaeilgoir

Will put this up and await the abuse..........Why is it after every great game, all we hear is you can stick the champions league, Heineken Cup and Premier league......why cant it be acknowledged that the match was super and we are lucky to have the GAA without constantly slagging off other sports..........

Also Soccer players been paid millions, but they cant take a shoulder.........enough.......

Finally, Take Your Point on Radio 1, a public phone in show, but no public allowed on it, more like what's the point..........

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2013, 06:22:28 PM
Bouncing Points.

This rule should be back dated to August 1996!

anglocelt39

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 09, 2013, 07:53:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2013, 06:22:28 PM
Bouncing Points.

This rule should be back dated to August 1996!

Have a feeling Muppet had that exact level of retrospection in mind

squire_in_navy_slacks

Way Silke...........................and whacker Senan Connell

anglocelt39

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2013, 07:30:11 PM
Ivan Yates can go and fcuk off back to Wales. He got shag all sympathy from the listening public when he poured out his woes on the radio.

Anyway I am not sure who he is aiming that 'Grab All' jibe all. Most Jayzesing, Daily Star buying, John Player Blue smokin, Dubbellin taxi drivers would be listening to FM104 or Spin106 or, if they were a wee bit more sensitive, listen to Q102 or 98FM.

Cnuts the lot of them and bad cess to their hatred for all things GAA >:(

You can get the odd soccer and rugby  type more than willing to peddle the grab all association line as well, or is it just some of the soccer and rugger bugger types of my acquaintance?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 09, 2013, 07:40:00 PM
Will put this up and await the abuse..........Why is it after every great game, all we hear is you can stick the champions league, Heineken Cup and Premier league......why cant it be acknowledged that the match was super and we are lucky to have the GAA without constantly slagging off other sports..........

Also Soccer players been paid millions, but they cant take a shoulder.........enough.......

Finally, Take Your Point on Radio 1, a public phone in show, but no public allowed on it, more like what's the point..........

Very well said Gaeilgoir. Why the constant comparing is beyond me? I cringe every time I hear it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blanketattack

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2013, 02:07:22 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 09, 2013, 01:39:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2013, 01:00:51 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 09, 2013, 12:49:38 PM
Hurling fans getting big discounts for final replays with no discounts for football fans in 72, 88, 96 and 00 when the country was in a far worse predicament than it is now for some of those years.

Someone actually complaining about a reduction in ticket prices. Now I've seen everything.

The complaint is about the football replays getting no discounts. Personally I think it should be decided on the day like all other major sports finals. The Fa gave up final replays for the good of the international team even in non-euros and WC years. Could the Gaa give up final replays for the good of the club c'ships?

Like what? Extra time and penalties? The FA gave up final replays because they don't give a f**k about the FA Cup now that the Premier league is under their control.

Yes they should play Extra Time, doesn't necessarily guarantee it's finished on the day but it should eliminate a lot of replays. Also why do they need to wait 3 weeks for the replay, a one week wait is enough and avoids ruining the club fixtures. The u21 final should be earlier in the calendar. There's plenty of occasions of playing a week later in the gaa. Fa cup replays were 5 days later. Grand Finals are played a week later. In the internet age the tickets could be organised in a matter of hours.

johnneycool

The handshaking between the teams before a game, when did that shíte come in? Was it passed through congress?