Kildare manager 2016

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
]
Emmet Bolton and his like need to remember that while the players are important, there are other just as important elements within the GAA
Not sure whether you are having a go with me or not as I simply don't understand what your first two lines are about.

My point is that the senior county players are an important part of the set up of any county but the club players, underage players, groundsmen .
[/quote]
A bit clearer now. Your original just mentioned players  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 04:23:35 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 04, 2013, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2013, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2013, 11:58:54 AM
Emmet Bolton and his like need to remember that while the players are important, there are other just as important elements within the GAA
What are they I wonder??
Are you one of those lads who think that the GAA would be a far better organisation if they weren't taking up so much time playing bloody games ? :-*
As someone said 4 years of progress followed by 2 years of stagnation incorporating the Seanie J fiasco ( which to me brought Kildare GAA into desrepute) and the "bail out" meant there was going to be a heave at some stage.
Is there a Plan B or is it just club delegates flexing their muscles "because we can" to show who's in charge and a bit like the 2011 General Election .... errr what now?
Glen Ryan in pole position I presume follwed by .......??

I know Glen and don't really want to second guess him but he has a young family and probably needs a year to recharge his batteries. However if someone came calling I don't think he would turn it down.

Other Kildare contenders would be Cian O'Neill, Anthony Rainbow, Brian Murphy and Brian Lacey (yes aware originally from Cork and Tipp respectively).

If it was a Kildare man I'd plump for O'Neill.

Outside candidates that would interest me would be Tony McEntee or Jack O'Connor.

If Carlow in Mullingar this year were an accurate reflection of Rainbow I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. I'd agree that Cian O'Neill would be the ideal man for the job Dinny.

A management team of Horan, McGuinness, Gilroy and O'Connor couldn't turn Carlow into a football team. The culture down there is shocking. 

But Rainbow would not be my choice, very inexperienced and too bloody nice.

That certainly struck me in Mullingar. He was moving amongst them as if he was one of them, not as their leader. The warmup and drills were Junior B club standard. Not to mention the lack of tactical awareness.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Kildare were very poor this year.

There was no tactical guile on view whatsoever.  Mayo would not have been the best in this department in the past but when Tyrone started closing down their forwards they weren't long in changing tack. And that's the difference between McGeeney and Horan.
In 2010 the teams were more or less at the same level.   

As a Galway hurling fan I have extensive experience of managers who don't go anywhere with the team.  McGeeney should have gone last year. He could still run the development squads but the seniors need someone different.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 04, 2013, 04:32:46 PM
There will be all out war when Sos or Ronan Quinn are appointed!

SOS no thanks, Quinn is an unknown and if Confey go all the way then ya never know.

The fear for me is Luke Dempsey!!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Out of curiosity, where do Kildare rank when it comes to spending on senior teams's preparations ? Is that data published anywhere for all counties ?.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 04:58:47 PM

SOS no thanks, Quinn is an unknown and if Confey go all the way then ya never know.

McGeeney always spoke highly of Alan Barry!!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 04, 2013, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 04:58:47 PM

McGeeney always spoke highly of Alan Barry!!

#newbridgeornowhere

Last Man

Heard today, McGeeney is heading to Cork and Canavan will be taking over the reins

orangeman

Quote from: Last Man on September 04, 2013, 05:17:11 PM
Heard today, McGeeney is heading to Cork and Canavan will be taking over the reins

Fair decent squad in Cork.

Frank and him will get on well.

thewobbler

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
Are the delegates not acting on behalf of the clubs that there players are from? Now I know some delegates think that they, like De Valera, can look into their hearts and see what's best for their people but by-and-large they are simply reflecting the wishes of the clubs.

If you ignore the wishes of the club(s) then where do you go from there?

Clubs obviously were looking at the funds spent in the past 6 years - the embarrassing bail-out/funds in advance (call it what you like) that Kildare had to get last year from central council and compared that to the lack of measureable success in the senior grade and said feck this.

Democracy in action.

Not saying they will now get anyone better than McGeeney but, to paraphrase the late great Frank Cluskey (who ripped it off an American politician who's name escapes me) "the clubs have spoken, the b**tards"!

For my sins, I spent one year on the Down County Board, and it changed my perspective forever.

The bit that had previously escaped me (and now I notice also escapes the majority) is that a County Board is not a law unto itself. It's simply a vehicle for clubs to propose, then agree on decisions and processes. Don't get me wrong, the top table have sway; they have the microphones, they have the opportunity to seed and influence in advance. And there are some reps who will get influenced against their club's wishes. There's probably even some in every county who'll happily be bought.

Close run things, when a couple of votes is all the difference, will always raise eyebrows. But if the majority of the clubs in a county want something to happen, then it's going to happen.

- - - -

Hound summed up McGeeney's tenure perfectly above.

Reviews are inevitable with every County Board, and given the levels of investment and levels of control McGeeney enjoyed, his reviews were going to be sterner. After a great start, the two years of stagnation were those fresh in the memory.

LilySavage

Ronan Quinn- are you insane? He got a team with huge population to a league final and county q final...nothing more. If you are taking any note of club route, Mark Brophy would be streets ahead of him but it wont go a club manager. Glenn Ryan the obvious choice.

lawnseed

I'm thinking silk purse sows ear...

Come home geezer make armagh great again
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

5 Sams

Quote from: lawnseed on September 04, 2013, 06:47:17 PM
I'm thinking silk purse sows ear...

Come home geezer make armagh great again

Those two sentences are in the wrong order there Lawnseed. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Wildweasel74

I actually think Kildare will drop away after this, he got the best out of what he had, lost a good player who is working in Galway, the Johnston thing did not work out, I cant understand why Kildare struggle in the funding stakes, its a big county, and driving though it 2 weeks ago, the place is full of horse breeders, though u may have alot of dublin blow ins lol, Kildare is one county who should not have money problems

highorlow

Quotethe place is full of horse breeders

the money is gone out of that now that the burger boys were caught
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go