Kildare manager 2016

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 04, 2013, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
Are the delegates not acting on behalf of the clubs that there players are from? Now I know some delegates think that they, like De Valera, can look into their hearts and see what's best for their people but by-and-large they are simply reflecting the wishes of the clubs.

If you ignore the wishes of the club(s) then where do you go from there?

Clubs obviously were looking at the funds spent in the past 6 years - the embarrassing bail-out/funds in advance (call it what you like) that Kildare had to get last year from central council and compared that to the lack of measureable success in the senior grade and said feck this.

Democracy in action.

Not saying they will now get anyone better than McGeeney but, to paraphrase the late great Frank Cluskey (who ripped it off an American politician who's name escapes me) "the clubs have spoken, the b**tards"!

The Kildare team raised all their own funds, they even built their own GYM. McGeeney's expenses are not considerable. The clubs pay a Levy on Hawkfield, Kildare COE, which is used by all development teams and senior football, hurling and camoige teams.

The clubs gripe is player access particularly the large clubs. This is coup d'etat by the senior clubs. The same in-house political bickering that has held Kildare back for 50 years.

It's as much to do with the ineptitude of the county board. They ceded too much power to McGeeney and always seemed terrified of pissing him off. They're the same crowd who who want the clubs to bail them out and who have buried their heads in the sand over the past few years - finances, state of St Conleth's, Johnston. A penny for Padraig Ashe's thoughts right now.

Still a political decision DH, the clubs elect the county officials they can't be exonerated from the mess and seem quite happy to lay it all on the feet of McGeeney as if changing manager is going to cause the mess to go away.

A disgruntled squad, a CB currently struggling to manage debts, whinging clubs, supporters with a ludicrous sense of self-entitlement, a lack of goodwill from outside the county (thanks Seanie) we need an intervention from Ban Ki-moon before any engagement can be made on deciding the process for finding the best manager for Kildare.

A debacle of Meath proportions.
#newbridgeornowhere

rodney trotter

Think the new manager will need Johnny Doyle to hang in for another season. Losing potentially 2 players to AFl will be a blow for the season ahead too.
Wouldn't have any grudge against Kildare regardless of the Johnston transfer, and hope they win a Leinster title in the next few years.

Syferus

Is Johnny Doyle a lock to retire now? He went to bat for Geezer after the season ended.

Really seems like the wrong time for the change and the discontent in the camp and the clubs ignoring what the players themselves wanted makes for a toxic off-season.

brianboru00

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 03, 2013, 11:22:36 PM
"@EmmetBolton: 58 club delegates who have never seen us train went into a room tonight and decided what was best for us. They totally disregarded our 1/2

@EmmetBolton: Opinions over the last couple of weeks. A disgraceful way to treat a man who put so much heart and effort into Kildare football. 2/2"
Totally disregarded the players opinions????? This smacks of complete and utter arrogance.
How about the delegates took all opnions on board and decided that 6 years of McGeeneys management had brought Kildare as far as he could.

Emmet Bolton appears to think that "their opinions" should be the decision and that they are the ones who should be making the decision??

I think its the correct decision - surprised he didn't step down himself.
I felt they were very unlucky for a couple of years where they didn't make the breakthrough but I think now it the perfect time to move on. I don't think the board treated McGeeney poorly.

Shamrock Shore

Seemingly, according to a press release from the GPA, the Kildare players (seniors only I assume, I dunno) are meeting tonight to discuss the situation.

*Pulls up chair to await developments*

Jinxy

He got Kildare very fit and for a while that was nearly enough.
However, the team lacks real pace and it doesn't matter if you can run all day if you're being beaten to the ball every time.
It's not about height around the middle 3rd anymore, it's about speed and power.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2013, 11:58:54 AM
Emmet Bolton and his like need to remember that while the players are important, there are other just as important elements within the GAA
What are they I wonder??
Are you one of those lads who think that the GAA would be a far better organisation if they weren't taking up so much time playing bloody games ? :-*
As someone said 4 years of progress followed by 2 years of stagnation incorporating the Seanie J fiasco ( which to me brought Kildare GAA into desrepute) and the "bail out" meant there was going to be a heave at some stage.
Is there a Plan B or is it just club delegates flexing their muscles "because we can" to show who's in charge and a bit like the 2011 General Election .... errr what now?
Glen Ryan in pole position I presume follwed by .......??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on September 04, 2013, 12:42:38 AM
What happens if the players decide they want Mc Geeney back and to hell with the club delegates who ddn't consult us and it was only a very slim majority that wanted him out ?

I can see this story running for a while.

I reckon this "meeting" of the players wont simply conclude with the players saying they're happy enough, that the county board meeting was all above board and that the matter is at an end and that they look forward to working with a new manager.

The phones will be hot today.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2013, 03:06:05 PM
Emmet Bolton and his like need to remember that while the players are important, there are other just as important elements within the GAA
What are they I wonder??
Are you one of those lads who think that the GAA would be a far better organisation if they weren't taking up so much time playing bloody games ? :-*
As someone said 4 years of progress followed by 2 years of stagnation incorporating the Seanie J fiasco ( which to me brought Kildare GAA into desrepute) and the "bail out" meant there was going to be a heave at some stage.
Is there a Plan B or is it just club delegates flexing their muscles "because we can" to show who's in charge and a bit like the 2011 General Election .... errr what now?

I know Glen and don't really want to second guess him but he has a young family and probably needs a year to recharge his batteries. However if someone came calling I don't think he would turn it down.

Other Kildare contenders would be Cian O'Neill, Anthony Rainbow, Brian Murphy and Brian Lacey (yes aware originally from Cork and Tipp respectively).

If it was a Kildare man I'd plump for O'Neill.

Outside candidates that would interest me would be Tony McEntee or Jack O'Connor.

#newbridgeornowhere

Applesisapples

Quote from: BartSimpson on September 03, 2013, 11:41:04 PM
A bluffer! Sad to see him go... Only because thr flowerbag are no treat with him.

gudluck!
Ehhh? could you write this again in English?

mylestheslasher

What are they I wonder??

Not sure whether you are having a go with me or not as I simply don't understand what your first two lines are about.

My point is that the senior county players are an important part of the set up of any county but the club players, underage players, groundsmen etc etc are just as important and deserve a say in how the county is run. That's why clubs have delegates and they vote accordingly.

McGeeney was up to his neck in the Seanie Johnston affair and everyone knows it. The whole thing was a farce on so many levels and I'm glad for Kildare they are rid of hopefully both of  them. I just hope neither come anywhere near Cavan.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
What are they I wonder??

I know Glen and don't really want to second guess him but he has a young family and probably needs a year to recharge his batteries. However if someone came calling I don't think he would turn it down.

Other Kildare contenders would be Cian O'Neill, Anthony Rainbow, Brian Murphy and Brian Lacey (yes aware originally from Cork and Tipp respectively).

Outside candidates that would interest me would be Tony McEntee or Jack O'Connor.

If Carlow in Mullingar this year were an accurate reflection of Rainbow I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. I'd agree that Cian O'Neill would be the ideal man for the job Dinny.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 04, 2013, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
What are they I wonder??

If Carlow in Mullingar this year were an accurate reflection of Rainbow I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. I'd agree that Cian O'Neill would be the ideal man for the job Dinny.

A management team of Horan, McGuinness, Gilroy and O'Connor couldn't turn Carlow into a football team. The culture down there is shocking. 

But Rainbow would not be my choice, very inexperienced and too bloody nice.
#newbridgeornowhere

Applesisapples

As an Armagh man I have always admired Mcgeeney the man and the player. He proved that in any sport hard work and perserverance pays. He also proved the point that for every Oisin or Stevie you need a Geezer. Kildare's problem is they had a few Geezers but no Oisin or Stevie...

Donnellys Hollow

There will be all out war when Sos or Ronan Quinn are appointed!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?