2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

macdanger2

Good analysis Sidney - are you a ref yourself or just a punter like most of us? Would the ref (or someone indepedent) normally review video footage of a ref's performance after intercounty games so that they can actually rate how good a ref has performed??

One minor incident you didn't comment on was what I thought was a pullback by O'Gara on Cunniffe in the lead-up to MDMAs goal-scoring opportunity, looked like a def free out to me but the ref waved it on.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on September 25, 2013, 06:37:34 PM
Actual free count:
Mayo 32 Dublin 12

Correct decisions by Joe McQuillan:

Overall mistakes by Joe McQuillan:

Free count should have been:
Mayo 35 Dublin 13

Actual yellow cards given to Dublin players: 4
O'Gara
Daly (wrongly awarded in my view)
McManamon
Brennan

Should have been given a yellow card - Dublin: 4
Andrews - late and deliberate slap to the chest of Kevin McLoughlin
O'Gara (before his actual yellow card) – cynical pull down on Colm Boyle
Brogan – neck high tackle on Aidan O'Shea and knocking the ball out of the hand, stopping a quick free
Rock - cynical pull back on Aidan O'Shea

Actual yellow cards given to Mayo players:
Keegan
Boyle (wrongly awarded in my view)

No Mayo player wrongly escaped a yellow card.

Frees Mayo were wrongly awarded: 6 (3 of which resulted in points)

08:04 Paul Flynn fouls Donal Vaughan at kickout – borderline, not fully covered by camera. Free given. 4

08:22 Jonny Cooper fouls Andy Moran – incorrect decision. 5

23:55 Paddy Andrews penalised for push on Keith Higgins – free awarded, borderline decision, certainly softish. 12.

41:10: Moran is crowded out by three Dublin players. All tackles look fair, and Moran probably overplays the ball. Free incorrectly awarded, perhaps to make up for what had happened a few seconds earlier. 15.

57:59: Rory O'Carroll gets a yellow card for a tackle on Enda Varley. This was a very marginal decision. On the live viewing it looked shoulder to shoulder, and it's an honest attempt to tackle fairly, but O'Carroll does get very slightly above Varley's shoulder and crashes into his head. Purely on a live viewing I would have called it as a wrong decision. But either decision would have been understandable. 21

65:57: Dean Rock fouls Colm Boyle. Free given, but looked soft and I would not have awarded it. 25.

Frees Dublin were wrongly awarded: 2 (0 of which resulted in points)

36:05: Andy Moran clearly fouled by Cian O'Sullivan and Rory O'Carroll – free incorrectly given to Dublin. 6.

70:43: Donal Vaughan fouled by Darren Daly (I think) in a scoring area 25m out. Philly McMahon is fouled by Colm Boyle and free to Dublin is given.12.

Frees Mayo should have been awarded: 8 (4 of which would have been point scoring oppurtunities)
03:08 – Paddy Andrews late slap to the chest on Kevin McLoughlin – foul and probable yellow card but not given

35:16: Cian O'Sullivan takes 11 steps – free to Mayo should have been given but wasn't.

36:05: Andy Moran clearly fouled by Cian O'Sullivan and Rory O'Carroll – free incorrectly given to Dublin. 6.

37:25 Bernard Brogan catches Keith Higgins around the neck in an attempt to tackle but a free is not given.

40: 46: James McCarthy leads with the elbow on Colm Boyle. Free not awarded. Probably not serious enough to warrant a yellow card, though. Advantage accrued to Mayo.

41:07: Paul Flynn trips Andy Moran just outside the penalty area. No free given.

47:00 Michael Conroy goes down under pressure from Jonny Cooper in a scoring area. Cooper and Rory O'Carroll both lay hands on his neck during the incident. Borderline free, but not given.

70:43: Donal Vaughan fouled by Darren Daly (I think) in a scoring area 25m out. Philly McMahon is fouled by Colm Boyle and a free to Dublin is given.12.

Frees Dublin should have been awarded: 3 (2 of which would have been point scoring oppurtunities)

15:47: Chris Barrett closed hand tackle on Ciaran Kilkenny – foul not awarded, incorrect decision, Dublin got the goal seconds later so McQuillan's incorrect decision in this case ended up benefitting them.

39:20: Chris Barrett leaves a boot in on Ciaran Kilkenny as he attempts to pick the ball up. Free should have been given but wasn't.

69:51: Keith Higgins pulls Kevin McManamon's jersey on the Cusack Stand side 35 metres out. Free not given.

Umpiring mistakes: 1 (which resulted in a point)

26:30 Dublin incorrectly awarded a 45 (which Stephen Cluxton pointed) when Michael Darragh McAuley's shot was saved by Hennelly but rebounded off McAuley. Umpiring decision.

Good analysis.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 25, 2013, 07:10:20 PM
Good analysis Sidney - are you a ref yourself or just a punter like most of us? Would the ref (or someone indepedent) normally review video footage of a ref's performance after intercounty games so that they can actually rate how good a ref has performed??

One minor incident you didn't comment on was what I thought was a pullback by O'Gara on Cunniffe in the lead-up to MDMAs goal-scoring opportunity, looked like a def free out to me but the ref waved it on.
Having looked back at the O'Gara/Cunniffe incident just now I think you're probably right on that, it looked a free out alright.

Not a ref but I find the constant criticism they get to be more often than not unwarranted, and as Dublin supporter, I certainly felt that after hearing Jim Gavin's comments.

bucko

V good breakdown. By the looks of it O'Gara was the biggest offender on the pitch. Coulda, Shoulda picked up the yellows on persistent fouling alone, never mind the cynical ones.

Canalman

Congrats to the lads. Battling gutsy display . Nice also to get the sour taste of 2006 out of the mouth after all those years.
Commiserations to Mayo and the Mayo posters here . Won't go overboard in this though as Mayo rightly didn't rain much commiserations down on us after our last two championship defeats by them and the 2006 game was followed by downright gravedancing.

Thought the Mayo support was very quiet in the second half when they were sorely needed. A largeish element of "bank manager's wife" type support which is not what is needed. Imvho of course. Reminded me a lot of the Down fans in 2010 when the much smaller Cork support outshouted them.

AIFs are certainly not the same without the large amount of families and kids you see at the other games and the atmosphere suffers as a result.

Mayo will win one sooner rather than later and honestly think that they would have beaten Donegal last year with last Sunday's performance, if that makes any sense. Some lovely footballers.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: bucko on September 25, 2013, 08:56:50 PM
V good breakdown. By the looks of it O'Gara was the biggest offender on the pitch. Coulda, Shoulda picked up the yellows on persistent fouling alone, never mind the cynical ones.
the breakdown is not gospel it's one mans opinion on hoe the frees should/shouldn't have went. Gud work though as it's not an easy thing to do!

Sam2011

Quote from: StephenC on September 25, 2013, 08:20:01 AM
Quote from: Sam2011 on September 24, 2013, 11:39:08 PM

There's talk of a few players going traveling next year, not sure if Caff is one. Can't blame them really. The last three years of their lives have been dictated by football. They deserve a break. That's why I really thought this was the year for us.
Caff is going to be a massive loss. Read a very good article about him before the final, seems to be so down to earth and dedicated to football.

Jesus lad. You start by saying there's talk about a few players going travelling (which there is in every county every year), then say you have no idea whether Ger is one of them, and finish with the statement that he's going to be a massive loss.
That's how BS rumours start. I'm sure that's not your intention but everything spoke about at this time of year should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

First off, there was no 'talk' in Mayo last year of players going traveling that I can remember. All 'talk' last year was about the start of something special.
Secondly, I said I wasn't sure if Ger was one if those. I did not state that I had no idea if Ger was one of them. If you want the solid facts of what the plans of some of the players plans in the panel are I can send you on one of their numbers as I'm sure they have nothing better to be doing right now than tell everyone the goss in the squad.  ::)
Christ maybe I should have put in the word IF to make is clear, I accept that sentence is misleading. But yes he will be a massive loss IF he does go.
Finally, Lar asked a question about Ger going traveling I answered the question based on the knowledge I had. Nobody here is trying to start any kind of a rumor.
Why in the name of God would I go and put up rumor about lads who have put their lives on hold for the past nine months for the sake of Mayo football? What do I gain out of it?
There's a lot more absolute bullshit rumors going around at the moment about some players personal lives that I could post up here but I know they are exactly that, bullshit rumors. I have more respect for the player and management.
Yes, everything at this time and indeed most of the year needs to be taken with a pinch if salt

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Canalman on September 25, 2013, 10:40:36 PM

Mayo will win one sooner rather than later and honestly think that they would have beaten Donegal last year with last Sunday's performance, if that makes any sense. Some lovely footballers.
That statement makes no sense at all.

GalwayBayBoy

Really? I actually think they played better last year apart from the disastrous first 10 minutes.

moysider

Congrats to the lads. Battling gutsy display . Nice also to get the sour taste of 2006 out of the mouth after all those years.
Commiserations to Mayo and the Mayo posters here . Won't go overboard in this though as Mayo rightly didn't rain much commiserations down on us after our last two championship defeats by them and the 2006 game was followed by downright gravedancing.

Thought the Mayo support was very quiet in the second half when they were sorely needed. A largeish element of "bank manager's wife" type support which is not what is needed. Imvho of course. Reminded me a lot of the Down fans in 2010 when the much smaller Cork support outshouted them.

AIFs are certainly not the same without the large amount of families and kids you see at the other games and the atmosphere suffers as a result.

`

I honestly think the Mayo support calved in the second half because we came out so flat it scared the shit out of a lot us. Maybe the reason for this will eventually emerge but we were nowhere near we were earlier in the year as regards pace, focus, ambition, intensity etc. It was awful disappointing to see and I still cant believe that this happened. While a few Dublin players were going well a few were ordinary enough on the day so why we looked so much off the pace is still gnawing at me. That s where we lost the fans and the game imo.

Your right about the families and the kids. I was on my own in lower Cusack. Missus and 1 kid was 8 blocks away. Another kid was in Big Tree with a cousin. Brothers were upstairs or in Premium. Friends then scattered all over the shop. That group would often be in a tight group in The Hyde, MacHale, Mark, grassy knoll in Páirc Sheáin or Salthill. But what can ye do? I dunno. It s still a great occasion if ye can get any ticket - better of course if ye win!

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2013, 11:47:39 PM

`

I honestly think the Mayo support calved in the second half because we came out so flat it scared the shit out of a lot us. Maybe the reason for this will eventually emerge but we were nowhere near we were earlier in the year as regards pace, focus, ambition, intensity etc. It was awful disappointing to see and I still cant believe that this happened. While a few Dublin players were going well a few were ordinary enough on the day so why we looked so much off the pace is still gnawing at me. That s where we lost the fans and the game imo.

Your right about the families and the kids. I was on my own in lower Cusack. Missus and 1 kid was 8 blocks away. Another kid was in Big Tree with a cousin. Brothers were upstairs or in Premium. Friends then scattered all over the shop. That group would often be in a tight group in The Hyde, MacHale, Mark, grassy knoll in Páirc Sheáin or Salthill. But what can ye do? I dunno. It s still a great occasion if ye can get any ticket - better of course if ye win!

The quietness of the Mayo support was weird. With Cunniffe and Freeman going off and Higgins going back to the full back line we got visibly weaker. Seamie going off had the same effect. Conroy, Varley, Doherty, Carolan and Moran weakened our threat and this feed to the stands and to the feeling it was not going to be our day. Every substitution was a step down. I feel it (the quietness) added to Cillians laboured free taking toward the end. It also gave the referee licence not to dish out as many yellows as he would have had to if the crowd were getting on his back.

Hound

Quote from: Sidney on September 25, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
22:57: Bernard Brogan blown up for overcarrying – correct decision. 11.

That was the one that annoyed me the most at the time. Not sure whether he was being fouled or not, but I counted 4 steps by Bernard then he kickpassed it backward to a Dublin player (and earlier in the half Seamie O'Shea had taken 9 steps and wasn't blown). Bernard all season has stuggled to win frees even when there seems to be 2 or 3 lads around him taking lumps off him. I noticed Stephen O'Neill of Tyrone similarly needs to be nearly assualted before a ref gives a free in his favour.

But no ref can possibly get everything right and often decisions are marginal, so its easy for an armchair critic to pick out moments where his team has been hard done by. You just hope for someone who's consistent and blows up for the same incidents on both sides. I thought for the first 20-25 minutes McQuillian was perhaps blowing up a little too quickly anytime the player in possession went to ground, but generally was probably fine overall.

Jinxy

I don't think I've ever seen him tackle someone without giving away a free.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2013, 09:19:27 AM

I don't think I've ever seen him tackle someone without giving away a free.

He didn't give away a free when he 'tackled' Cunniffe

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 25, 2013, 07:10:20 PM

Hasta la victoria siempre