2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dirk Diggler on September 22, 2013, 06:53:19 PM
Mayo should have been 6 or 7 points ahead at half time and Dublin would have had to chase the game,

Hennelly also made two great saves in the first half after that and Dublin must have dropped about 3 or 4 very kickable point attempts into Hennelly's hands. Mayo kicked some bad wides as well but I never felt they should have been 6 or 7 points up unless you ingore all the missed Dublin chances.

INDIANA

The key score was the goal Dublin got against the run of play in the first half. Hennelly had a good game overall , but if you are going to come off your line you have to be sure you are going to win the ball and he didn't look like he was sure. Mayo should have been 6 or 7 points ahead at half time and Dublin would have had to chase the game, Also hard to understand why Alan Freeman was taken off when he was going well.

Rubbish. We missed two goal chances and four into the keeper's hands. Level at worst for us if we took our chances.

Mayo were in big trouble after 20 mins in the full forward line and it stayed that way for the final 50 mins

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2013, 05:28:51 PM
The rest of Connacht will catch up given time.

Probably but I can't see ourselves catching them next year anyway. Might still be a year too early. Hopefully by 2015 though. Still firm favourites for Connacht next year.
[/quote]
It could all fall apart on them now. Serious effort and committment for 2 long years with only Provincial titles to show for it all.
Could be a number of departures and hopefully we'll have a competitive Connacht Championship next year as we and Galway , not to mention Sligo can only be better next year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dirk Diggler

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 07:00:15 PM
The key score was the goal Dublin got against the run of play in the first half. Hennelly had a good game overall , but if you are going to come off your line you have to be sure you are going to win the ball and he didn't look like he was sure. Mayo should have been 6 or 7 points ahead at half time and Dublin would have had to chase the game, Also hard to understand why Alan Freeman was taken off when he was going well.

Rubbish. We missed two goal chances and four into the keeper's hands. Level at worst for us if we took our chances.

Mayo were in big trouble after 20 mins in the full forward line and it stayed that way for the final 50 mins

Brogan's goal in the first half was as soft as they come, the goalie coming forward and making a hames of it and it trickled in. The same thing almost happened to Cluxton in the first half when he came forward but he got away with it. Mayo were on top in the game during these two crucial swings. Dublin didn't miss the other goal chances, they were saved.  Kilkenny hit it straight at Hennelly who closed him down and Donkey O'Gara can only blast and hope for the best and that was deflected over for a point. Mayo dropped balls in to Cluxton's hands as well most notably Lee Keegan late in the game.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dirk Diggler on September 22, 2013, 07:08:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 07:00:15 PM

Brogan's goal in the first half was as soft as they come, the goalie coming forward and making a hames of it and it trickled in. The same thing almost happened to Cluxton in the first half when he came forward but he got away with it. Mayo were on top in the game during these two crucial swings. Dublin didn't miss the other goal chances, they were saved.  Kilkenny hit it straight at Hennelly who closed him down and Donkey O'Gara can only blast and hope for the best and that was deflected over for a point. Mayo dropped balls in to Cluxton's hands as well most notably Lee Keegan late in the game.

one ball into the keeper's hands by Mayo by my count. We had four clear cut goal chances and took none. Mayo had one and took it. God help teams if we start taking our goal chances.

Aaron Boone

The team who beats Kerry usually wins the All-Ireland, this year it happened.

thejuice

Tactically I think most teams know how to beat Dublin. In the first half every team showed it. Pressuring the short kick outs and exploiting the space you get against the full back line.

It's mainly a case of fitness, strength and conditioning. Meath, Cork, Kerry and today Mayo were just trying to hang on in the second half. There were Mayo and Kerry players strolling in the second half because they couldn't keep chasing. Dublin up the tempo in the second half in every game. 1st half is a different story.

On the other note of cynical fouling, same as with Sean Cavanagh against Monaghan, Kevin McMenamen should have got sent off. That should be a rule. I'm not suggesting Meath players wouldn't do the same. That's not the point. Rules need to adapt to this emerging tactic.  We need to keep players as honest as possible. thats the whole point of rules.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thebuzz

Indiana if I was you I'd be out celebrating and leaving the analysis until tomorrow  ;)

Dirk Diggler

Quote from: thejuice on September 22, 2013, 07:20:14 PM
On the other note of cynical fouling, same as with Sean Cavanagh against Monaghan, Kevin McMenamen should have got sent off. That should be a rule.

The silence and lack of angry indignation at the cynical fouling of Dublin from the fundits was deafening.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 06:42:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2013, 06:26:16 PM
Disappointed for Mayo, but they can have no complaints. Dublin were thoroughly deserving winners on the day and, over the season, the best team in the country. Their backs were immense in the second half, and their speed and movement up front was in stark contrast to what Mayo were offering by that point.

It should be noted Mayo's defence was superbh today. Lee Keegan blotted Connolly out completely and really only Bernard Brogan had a stellar day but yet Cafferty still played well. I wouldn't even say Brogan was stellar he was good. Boyle was really good as well.

Mayo threatened early on up front but they just don't have a marquee name to rely on. All their forwards are good but none outstanding.

None of our younger lads played well really and showed they have quite some way to go yet.

Connolly,Kilkenny etc are well talked up however Brogan remains Dublins best forward and without him Dublin would have lost the last two All Irelands they won.

INDIANA

Quote from: thebuzz on September 22, 2013, 07:25:43 PM
Indiana if I was you I'd be out celebrating and leaving the analysis until tomorrow  ;)

I wish. Into work in a few hours so unfortunately no celebrating for me....

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 07:32:46 PM

I said the same to you in 2011 but you used the excuse of non-drinker that doesn't celebrate. Indiana feck the work go out and enjoy it have a few knickerbocker glories or whatever  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

reddgnhand

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 07:32:46 PM

INDIANA any comments on the last 10 mins. If I remember rightly you were in the I'm with Joe camp. :)

rodney trotter

Dunno how Mayo will come back from that. They say you need to lose one, to win one, they have lost in consecutive years now. Along with all those other defeats over the years. The likes of Dillon, Moran will find it hard to come back from another defeat. Suppose its a young enough side bar those players. Good Minor team but it will take a few years for them to make a serious impact at Senior level. Dublin deserved the win, 1pts win wasn't a true reflection on the match. Should have been 4/5. Bizarre decision taking Freeman off.

emmetryan

Hi guys,

My tactical take on Dublin's win over Mayo is now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7665

Thanks,
Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com