2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 09:25:45 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2013, 09:18:45 PM
Brogan, Higgins and Cian O'Sullivan would be my 3 nominations for MOTM but for a player whose temperament has proven suspect in the past I thought that ultimately Brogans scores were the difference and he probably done enough to shade it.

Cluxtons accuracy from kick outs was outstanding today particularly as the game wore on. He is the best GAA goalkeeper I've ever seen and will be irreplaceable for them. Will he now bow out at the pinnacle?

Lee Keegan was outstanding.  Second only to brogan. Best wing back in Ireland by a mile.

Yeah Keegan was very good going forward and nullified Connolly no argument there. He criminally dropped one into the keepers hands from about 25m in the second half though at an important stage of the game. Best wing back in Ireland? I wouldn't be that sure.

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2013, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2013, 09:25:45 PM
Brogan, Higgins and Cian O'Sullivan would be my 3 nominations for MOTM but for a player whose temperament has proven suspect in the past I thought that ultimately Brogans scores were the difference and he probably done enough to shade it.

Cluxtons accuracy from kick outs was outstanding today particularly as the game wore on. He is the best GAA goalkeeper I've ever seen and will be irreplaceable for them. Will he now bow out at the pinnacle?

Lee Keegan was outstanding.  Second only to brogan. Best wing back in Ireland by a mile.

Yeah Keegan was very good going forward and nullified Connolly no argument there. He criminally dropped one into the keepers hands from about 25m in the second half though at an important stage of the game. Best wing back in Ireland? I wouldn't be that sure.

Who is better? I can guarantee you - you won't come up with one. Could be one of the best ever if he keeps progressing.

Whishtup

Dublin the best team in the country this year-well deserved and I expect a few more in the next five years looking at their ages.  Hard to see how Mayo can come back from this-hopefully they do.
With good refereeing in the semis, it could have been Tyrone v Kerry.  The top four are very close but Dublin have the strongest squad, are physically the strongest and fastest, and will take some stopping.
(Did McQuillan tell the free-taker that there was another minute at the end?-Mayo lad looked raging when he blew for full time-should have went for the goal)

Glad to see Brogan firing at last.

Things from today's game that are bad for the game (not only displayed by these teams):

-tackle after the ball has been played.

-the so-called 'fair' shoulder or 'hit' with no intention of getting get the ball, when either a player has possession of the ball or is stretching or reaching out for a ball.  Nothing sporting, tough, brave or useful about this tackle-just satisfies our inate desire to see somebody cleaned out of it.

-the last ten minutes cynicism (a penalty would stop this)

-Jarring a fella with your knees when he's on the ground-O'Gara repeat offender-unpunished.

-putting your hands up to your ears at Hill16.  This seems to have tragic consequences to anyone who attempts it.  (You could at least do the Mulligan stare.)

Syferus

Why would he? He's one of the all-time greats but some people have sucked down the hype train a little too far.

Bord na Mona man

Cluxton was under pressure with his early kickouts had Mayo had managed to keep tight on Dublin, he probably would have started taking wilder options as the game progressed. This was a huge systems failure for Mayo that they allowed him easily hit distant targets for most of the rest of the game.

For all the talk of Dublin's superiority and Mayo forwards being poor, there was only a point in it. Suggesting that Dublin forwards can just click and start rattling the twines at some future stage is a bit speculative. Top drawer shooters don't keep hitting the keeper with their shots. Bernard Brogan is sheer class, but had he not shown up today I'm not sure the rest could have pulled them through.

As for the decision to tap over the final free. I wonder will we hear more about this? Did McQuillan indicate there was time to take the point and then go for an equaliser? This happened Offaly against Kildare in 2002. With time nearly up and Offaly weighing up whether to go for goal with a close in free, referee Paddy Russell clarified with the Offaly players that there was sufficient time to go for the equaliser if they took the point. Imagine how amused they were when he blew for full time seconds after the point went over.

Minder

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM
Cluxton was under pressure with his early kickouts had Mayo had managed to keep tight on Dublin, he probably would have started taking wilder options as the game progressed. This was a huge systems failure for Mayo that they allowed him easily hit distant targets for most of the rest of the game.

For all the talk of Dublin's superiority and Mayo forwards being poor, there was only a point in it. Suggesting that Dublin forwards can just click and start rattling the twines at some future stage is a bit speculative. Top drawer shooters don't keep hitting the keeper with their shots. Bernard Brogan is sheer class, but had he not shown up today I'm not sure the rest could have pulled them through.

As for the decision to tap over the final free. I wonder will we hear more about this? Did McQuillan indicate there was time to take the point and then go for an equaliser? This happened Offaly against Kildare in 2002. With time nearly up and Offaly weighing up whether to go for goal with a close in free, referee Paddy Russell clarified with the Offaly players that there was sufficient time to go for the equaliser if they took the point. Imagine how amused they were when he blew for full time seconds after the point went over.

Saw some journo on Twitter earlier saying three Mayo players have said McQuillqn indicated there was still time left. Why else would O'Connor have tapped it over ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on September 22, 2013, 09:26:33 PM

Badly at fault for the mayo goal though.

On that note did the mayo keeper need to come for the first brogan goal? Didn't think he did.

Whishtup

omagh_gael

Agree Whistup. To me it looked a dead cert that CoC was told there would be one more play after that free kick. An absolute age was wasted during those four additional minutes.

Mayo just don't seem to have that dynamic forward who will stand up on the big occasion and pull out a match winning display. Worst of luck lads, dread to think how you all must feel now.

Finally,  congrats to Dublin.  A superb team who are going to win many more AIs over the coming years. At least us in Tyrone can take solace in being the only team to have beaten you this year (we would have taken you today as well ;) )

johnpower

I hope that the ref did not tell him that he had time . Don't think they will mention of the negative stuff .

orangeman

O'Connor according to the radio ran after Mc Quillan and berated him for 2 minutes after the final whistle which kinda suggests Mc Quillan told him there'd be time for one more play.

Bad doing if this is true.

Congrats to the Dubs. Had Dublin played any in the first half they'd have won easier than they did.

imtommygunn

I thought this game was very similar to mayo tyrone. Up until 25 minutes one team on top but from then the opposition seemed to have them sussed.

Really feel for mayo. Had hoped they would win but the dubs were just the better team.

While o'gara is much maligned i thought it was only after he came on that the dubs started to rattle the mayo defense. Sme of those mayo defenders were outstanding still though.

A lot of talk about fitness but fitness doesn't give you movement and just not enough up front for mayo.  Was surprised freeman was taken off.

Higgins in chf mind you was superb. Keegan also some player. Dubs just more aces in the pack really.

Rossfan

Quote from: orangeman on September 22, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
O'Connor according to the radio ran after Mc Quillan and berated him for 2 minutes after the final whistle which kinda suggests Mc Quillan told him there'd be time for one more play.

Bad doing if this is true.

Time this lad was pensioned off if that's true  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mano

It took Mayo nearly a minute to convert that last free. There would have been one more play left if they just tapped it over

INDIANA

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM

Ah you couldn't be anymore begrudging. We won by a lot more then a point. Mayo have no marquee forward. Said it pre-game on Saturday afternoon. And I was right. No team has ever won an All-Ireland with just good forwards. The facts are Dean Rock would be Mayo's marquee forward if he was born in Castlebar.

I feel bad for Mayo I really do. 1-10 they've a super team. But 10-15 they are average most days with the odd starlet performance from COC.