2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Anyway here is a better composite team than Silly Sids.

Cluxton - Clarkie is injured after all ;)
Cunniffe
Caff.
Higgins
Boyle
Keegan
McCaffrey
McAuley
Seamie O Se
Paul Flynn
Aidie O Se
Kevin McLoughlin
Dillon
Bernard Brogan
Cillian O Connor

Mayo 10 Dublin 5

Similar if inverse breakdown in stats. Difference is my team is much better ;)
I should be charging you for a free tutorial like that Sid.

Sidney

Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 10:55:26 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2013, 10:41:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 10:37:50 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2013, 10:27:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2013, 06:43:18 PM
Who in the name of sweet baby Jesus would drop Caffreky for O'Carroll and Keegan and Boyle for O'Sullivian and McCarthy? I don't think many even believe those would even be positions of contention on a combined team.
Crazy stuff alright. Cafferkey, Boyle and Keegan are proven All-Ireland-winning players while O'Carroll, O'Sullivan and McCarthy are...oh wait, I may have got that the wrong way around.

Means that likes of Eoghan O Gara is a better footballer than say likes of Kieran McDonald or Michael Meehan because he s an AI winner ::)

You re either deliberately being a p***k or you haven t got a clue.
But I'm not comparing Eoghan O'Gara to Ciaran McDonald.

No, but you re using the laziest arguement in gaelic football to back up your selection. 'They have the medal so they must be better'. Yawn.
But I don't merely have to use that argument, I could also argue that those players have proved themselves for the last four seasons at the highest level to be players of the highest quality. What argument would you use to say they aren't, and that their Mayo equivalents are better? Because anything they've done up to now hasn't surpassed where the three Dublin players I mentioned are now at.

One Mayo poster here is now comparing Cafferkey, Boyle and Keegan to Peter Canavan and Maurice Fitzgerald. That's a rather odd comparison, I have to say.

Lar Naparka

Who in the name of sweet baby Jesus would drop Caffreky for O'Carroll and Keegan and Boyle for O'Sullivian and McCarthy? I don't think many even believe those would even be positions of contention on a combined team.
Crazy stuff alright. Cafferkey, Boyle and Keegan are proven All-Ireland-winning players while O'Carroll, O'Sullivan and McCarthy are...oh wait, I may have got that the wrong way around.

Ah yes the only thing that counts.

Means that likes of Eoghan O Gara is a better footballer than say likes of Kieran McDonald or Michael Meehan because he s an AI winner ::)

Oh yes you are.
You're asserting that O'Carroll, O'Sullivan and McCarthy are better players than Cafferky, Boyle and Keegan simply because it can be proved that the Dublin trio are All-Ireland winning players.
If that's the only criterion you use to claim the Dub players mentioned are better than their Mayo counterparts, why shouldn't moysider ask you if you'd follow the same line of logic when comparing O'Gara to McDonald.
It's a case of what's sauce for the gander being sauce for the goose and all that stuff.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2013, 11:06:42 PM

No, but you re using the laziest arguement in gaelic football to back up your selection. 'They have the medal so they must be better'. Yawn.
But I don't merely have to use that argument, I could also argue that those players have proved themselves for the last four seasons at the highest level to be players of the highest quality. What argument would you use to say they aren't, and that their Mayo equivalents are better? Because anything they've done up to now hasn't surpassed where the three Dublin players I mentioned are now at.

One Mayo poster here is now comparing Cafferkey, Boyle and Keegan to Peter Canavan and Maurice Fitzgerald. That's a rather odd comparison, I have to say.

No I am not. You are claiming that some players are better than others purely because they were proven All-Ireland winners.

I am making fun of this rather lame point.

Was Alan Brogan suddenly a better player because he had a Celtic Cross? Canavan? Maurice Fitz?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Oh Christ!

Are you telling me you don't do irony - a bit of sarcasm maybe?

Sam2011

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2013, 10:29:35 PM

Ger Brennan is a 'proven All-Ireland-winning' player but you don't seem to give him the benefit of that argument.

Also, Boyle has an All-Ireland.

There is a very interesting article in the Mayo News about Keegan, Boyle and Vaughan.
Keegan didn't make the panel at minor level.
Vaughan couldn't make the South Mayo panel at minor level (but did eventually manage it).
Boyle got taken off at half time in the U 21 All Ireland and was roasted in a championship game against Galway in 2008, which ultimately ended his inter county career until 2012.
If that does not illustrate serious mental strength and attitude, I don't know what does.
Often, studying peoples mental state tells you more than glamorous medals and awards.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2013, 11:16:28 PM

No I am not. You are claiming that some players are better than others purely because they were proven All-Ireland winners.

I am making fun of this rather lame point.

Was Alan Brogan suddenly a better player because he had a Celtic Cross? Canavan? Maurice Fitz?

Shite! This guy is just rippin the piss. f**k!

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2013, 11:16:28 PM

I wasn't the person who brought Peter Canavan, Maurice Fitzgerald or Eoghan O'Gara into the argument.

Not only are the players I mentioned proven All-Ireland winners, they are proven, seasoned players at the highest level, and were integral to that All-Ireland victory, and if you want to count u-21, more than one All-Ireland in O'Carroll's case. The players I compared them to have yet to do anything to suggest they are superior players.

Good players yes, superior players, no. If they prove me wrong, fair play, but as yet they have not.

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on September 17, 2013, 10:34:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 17, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 17, 2013, 09:55:29 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 17, 2013, 09:35:44 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 17, 2013, 05:01:50 PM

One of the most memorable highlights of the Dubs win in 2011 was that the team could remain on the pitch for up to half an hour after the presentation savouring the win with the crowd. Anyone who was there will never forget it.
I was on the Hill. It sucked.

I was on the Hill.  It was fantastic.

I was on my couch and had switch over as nothing memorable was happening.
I got out to the pub early as the celebrations were so boring, and what a great decision - Fernando Torres's miss in the Manchester United - Chelsea match will live with me forever.

Thought this a strange post at the time but now it s making sense. Apologies for wasting time with Sid folks. ;D

Sidney

Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 11:21:11 PM

Oh Christ!

What's sauce for the goose, and all that...

moysider

Quote from: Sam2011 on September 18, 2013, 11:22:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2013, 10:29:35 PM

Ger Brennan is a 'proven All-Ireland-winning' player but you don't seem to give him the benefit of that argument.

Also, Boyle has an All-Ireland.

There is a very interesting article in the Mayo News about Keegan, Boyle and Vaughan.
Keegan didn't make the panel at minor level.Vaughan couldn't make the South Mayo panel at minor level (but did eventually manage it).
Boyle got taken off at half time in the U 21 All Ireland and was roasted in a championship game against Galway in 2008, which ultimately ended his inter county career until 2012.If that does not illustrate serious mental strength and attitude, I don't know what does.
Often, studying peoples mental state tells you more than glamorous medals and awards.

Keegan played a lot of rugby back then in fairness and the Boyle U21 substitution could have been a yellow card decision if I remember correctly. The 'roasting' was when management couldn t manage mice and Boyle got dragged in corner back :-[
In the past players like David Brady, Liam McHale, Patrick Harte and Ronan McGarrity didn t play minor either. A lot of kids in development squads will be gone by minor.

Sidney

Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 11:56:23 PM

Keegan played a lot of rugby back then in fairness and the Boyle U21 substitution could have been a yellow card decision if I remember correctly. The 'roasting' was when management couldn t manage mice and Boyle got dragged in corner back :-[

Was that management team not headed up by the great Mayo football messiah, John O'Mahony?

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2013, 11:50:05 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 11:21:11 PM

Oh Christ!

What's sauce for the goose, and all that...

Touché, but not me talking sauces and gooses.

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on September 19, 2013, 12:15:52 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2013, 11:56:23 PM

Was that management team not headed up by the great Mayo football messiah, John O'Mahony?

Snap! Dublin should be grateful that they never had a messiah like that. The miracle of Mayo is that we ve managed to get back to a decent level so quickly after the disaster of the Johnno Restoration*.

Messiah was a label that 'journalists and foreigners' put on O Mahoney. Anybody in Mayo who were still copus mentus after the shafting of Mickey Moran in 06 knew that the reappointment of O Mahoney would set us back years. I said it at the time  - my posts regarding that are still there to be read.

So anybody that still believes in Messiahs.... stick it up yer...... There s a football game to be played a Sunday. Everything else is shite.

* It s unbelievable that stuff happened so recently and how awful it was. Promised the best training systems, conditioning etc and as it turned out junior club teams were doing better. Pre- match warm-ups were an embarrassement to behold with the main man and his appointed side-kick observing and badgering any slip ups in the drills that players U14 can do.