2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rrhf on September 03, 2013, 10:35:37 PM
Yes sorry for that. Tyrone would have defended. I'm using the point not to big up Tyrone but in our wish to exalt the challenge match that was the semi final we tend to ignore the obvious. Look at the score line that Dublin let in, how did they win the game?
Mayo have a class defence a decent enough midfield  and enough great forwards to win the final.

No worries, that's where I thought you were coming from alright. On the defending, I thought the Dublin defending was poor enough when I was watching on Sunday but thinking back The Gooch had one of his best ever days with way he was seeing men and setting things up. Mayo are probably ahead of Dublin as regards defence, being on the road for longer, but I'm not sure the Dublin defence is all that terribly porous either. Not least if they start Philly McMahon, who will add a certain presence to the event horizon.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 03, 2013, 10:50:46 PM
Quote from: rrhf on September 03, 2013, 10:35:37 PM
Yes sorry for that. Tyrone would have defended. I'm using the point not to big up Tyrone but in our wish to exalt the challenge match that was the semi final we tend to ignore the obvious. Look at the score line that Dublin let in, how did they win the game?
Mayo have a class defence a decent enough midfield  and enough great forwards to win the final.

No worries, that's where I thought you were coming from alright. On the defending, I thought the Dublin defending was poor enough when I was watching on Sunday but thinking back The Gooch had one of his best ever days with way he was seeing men and setting things up. Mayo are probably ahead of Dublin as regards defence, being on the road for longer, but I'm not sure the Dublin defence is all that terribly porous either. Not least if they start Philly McMahon, who will add a certain presence to the event horizon.

With respect to yerself rrhf this is the thing. When asked by Des Cahill on the Sunday game if Dublin should use a sweeper v Mayo, Tony McEntee ( who doesn t do arched eyebrows or get excited in any way) looked at Des like he hadn t washed for a while. No need he said. Dublin individually are good enough to go man to man with Mayo. He was 100% about that. You can see where he is coming from. O Carroll the last in a dynasty of full backs that even Meath or Kerry would not match, Paddy Christie, Gerry Hargan, Sean Doherty. They seem to have had less fbs than goalkeepers. Donaghy did not get a sniff. Will an on-form Freeman have more joy if ball is hoofed in? Cooper had a good game v Kerry and like all good cbs he plays on the edge. Philly has the edge too. Ger Brennan s challenge on Declan O Sullivan in 11 was as important in landing Sam as McManamon s goal was- think about it. McCarty is a quality wing back and Caffrey is a kid that can change a game in one run.

On the other hand at least 7 Mayo defenders have scored from play in this years championship Cunniffe, Higgins, Barrett, Keane, Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan. Caff would have as well if he could kick the ball ;D Only messing.
Point is though that Mayo defenders are now seen as proper defenders, but are attacking at will. What s going on with analysis that the most attack minded backs - probably ever - are being lauded as proper defenders when all evidence points to them being an attacking The same defenders that were never trusted in recent past under high ball and people running at them. Stuff is not adding up in a lot of opinion out there. We ll learn a bit more I suppose in the final.

Not sure any opposition has worked out what Mayo are about this Summer. I suspect Donegal and Tyrone expected our well- publicised mental shortcomings would beat us if they could get our arse over the bacon slicer. Seán Cavanagh s post match interview would indicate that was in Tyrone s minds anyway. Nothing wrong with that but we did come through a pretty disressing first half hour v Tyrone. Which is probably 10X more beneficial than running through a beaten team for 30mins?

ballinaman

Mayo taking terrace allocation for the final I'm hearing.   8)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rrhf on September 03, 2013, 10:26:38 PM
I like everyone love cute football. It's gorgeous but I also know that Kerry would not have beat Tyrone this year and I think Tyrone would have beat the pick of them, as unpalatable as that may sound to some.  what mayo bring to the party is a superb evolution of real quality football with real defenders of which there was very limited examples on show last week. Proper football wins a final not the dream. If I was backing Dublin it would be the basis that they used to defend at the levels an all Ireland winning team needs to defend at, their defenders are forwards more than defenders. Lovely to watch but when was the last time a team with no defense won sam

I think Kerry would have won pulling up against Tyrone just like they did last year. You seem to forget Tyrone fell over the line against the likes of Roscommon,Monaghan,Meath and Tyrone weren't scoring enough this year to ever topple a top team.

Going into Sundays game Kerrys average against was 0-11 compared to Dublins average against 0-13 Sunday wasn't a game for the lovers of defensive football however you have to give more credit the top forward lines on show.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on September 03, 2013, 11:29:58 PM

Proper order. Hill should be 50/50 to accomodate the peasantry and to allow a bit of swapping stand for 2 terrace like in the old days.

Mayo CB will hopefully do better with their ticket management than last year, which was a joke.

If the Dubs have a problem sharing the Hill I have a solution. Play the game over 2 legs, Dublin and Castlebar ;D Ye can have the Hill and we ll take both ends in McHale. f**k capacities, (McHale will take 40,000 and the local pubs and hedgerow lushers another 20,000) it ll be grand because neutrals never go to finals involving Mayo any more ::) I swear if I come accross a neutral at this one moaning about Mayo being in an AI final I ll slap the ****. I m not getting any younger but I ll snap and dance on the f**ker. f**k off and get beat in yer own all AI finals ye anti-Mayo pricks and leave tickets to the fans and kids that want to see their own teams play. Rant over ;D

PS: I m serious about slapping some annoying ****.

BartSimpson

Silly boys

And just in case u forget, Parnell is our home pitch, not croker. Ya sham ye!
guwan the parish

Aaron Boone

Quote from: BartSimpson on September 03, 2013, 11:48:37 PM
Silly boys

And just in case u forget, Parnell is our home pitch, not croker. Ya sham ye!

Indeed. Isn't Hill 16 Dublin-only?

Sam2011

Thats the stuff.

All thats left now is for the lads to warm up in front of the Hill now!  ;D

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2013, 11:47:07 PM

Proper order. Hill should be 50/50 to accomodate the peasantry and to allow a bit of swapping stand for 2 terrace like in the old days.

Mayo CB will hopefully do better with their ticket management than last year, which was a joke.

If the Dubs have a problem sharing the Hill I have a solution. Play the game over 2 legs, Dublin and Castlebar ;D Ye can have the Hill and we ll take both ends in McHale. f**k capacities, (McHale will take 40,000 and the local pubs and hedgerow lushers another 20,000) it ll be grand because neutrals never go to finals involving Mayo any more ::) I swear if I come accross a neutral at this one moaning about Mayo being in an AI final I ll slap the ****. I m not getting any younger but I ll snap and dance on the f**ker. f**k off and get beat in yer own all AI finals ye anti-Mayo pricks and leave tickets to the fans and kids that want to see their own teams play. Rant over ;D

Good man, Moysider! Make sure you soak your mitts in buckets of petrol every night from now until the final, just like Big Joe Joyce. All the better for batin'.

tonto1888

Although Im an Armagh man I have also supported Dublin in the Championship - unless they were playing us - so Id like to see a Dublin win. However, Im looking forward to a cracking game of football and may the best team win with no controvesy to it at all

haveaharp

The only annoying thing about Mayo being in a final is thinking you should get a refund after 20mins. Sort that out and the neutrals will be behind ya.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Canalman on September 04, 2013, 09:30:14 AM

As is their entitlement. Mayo will outnumber Dublin fans 2:1 at the final I think. All Mayo people at work here seem to have tickets sorted already. Us Dubs here are relying on luck at the club allocation draw.

The reason Mayo people are out of the blocks so quickly this year is because if you don't have a season ticket there is no hope of getting any from the counties allocation like last year!Just read this crap from our county board ,
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18473:ticket-allocation-for-mayo-clubs-virtually-identical-to-2012&catid=14&Itemid=100008

I think the attitude is not to get caught out like last year so everyone has been quick to extract a ticket as soon as we beat Tyrone but this will still only mean we should might have 50 % of the crowd but a lot of Mayo's allocation will be flowing towards Dublin through unconventional methods( as went to Donegal in 2012) which should balance things out.

Crete Boom

Quote from: haveaharp on September 04, 2013, 09:20:20 AM

The only annoying thing about Mayo being in a final is thinking you should get a refund after 20mins. Sort that out and the neutrals will be behind ya.

The most annoying thing for a Mayo fan after a final is the neutral who took a place a Mayo fan or Dub would give up a limb for that proudly proclaims they wasted their money watching that crap. If it so bad why bother going?
There is not many people a Mayo fan can look down on in the aftermath of another failure but fair play haveaharp the likes of you always remind me that things could be worse i.e next year Mayo might win a final but you will still be a gobshite ;D

squire_in_navy_slacks

Lovely less chance of some headcase band wagoner from Mayo sitting beside me in the lovely lower cusack  ;)

ballinaman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 04, 2013, 10:15:37 AM

Lovely less chance of some headcase band wagoner from Mayo sitting beside me in the lovely lower cusack  ;)
305 myself, sure where else would you want to be.
Less chance of seeing those Hill 16 - "The City that defeated an empire" jerseys......cringe ;)